main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Mara Jade? Like I said I didn't read DE. I vaguely know it. Wasn't Sedriss supposed to be the "New Vader" before Luke "somewhat" turned?

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Dark Empire as a concept and story, IIRC, preceded the Thrawn Trilogy by a few years years (hell, Marvel was supposed to publish it first until Dark Horse acquired the SW comic book publishing rights). I doubt very much there was any discussion between Veitch and Zahn regarding their respective works, let alone borrowing Mary Sue Jade to appear in that story.

3. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Mary Sue Jade? It's true then.....Rey gets it from her mama!

4. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015

Seeing as Batman is the biggest Mary Sue in all of comics, maybe Rey's a Wayne! ;)

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

That's mostly correct. Marvel still had the license as they had been publishing "Droids" and "Ewoks" under the Star Comics imprint about the time that DE was first proposed. Then it shifted to Dark Horse and finally began publication in December of 1991, a few months after "Heir To The Empire" had come out. DE was supposed to take place after ROTJ and before HTTE, but Zahn refused to make reference to it, so the series was pushed to being after TLC and Kevin J. Anderson had to incorporate DE into his book trilogy. Later publications explained why Mara was not included in the story and Zahn would later include references to it in "The Hand Of Thrawn" duology.

Darth_Invidious and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  7. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Guys, guys...at least we can agree on one thing. That is one bitchin' cape.

BigAl6ft6 and VadersLaMent like this.
  8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    What I liked was that Hasbro put out figures based off both EU revival series.

[​IMG]

It's just a shame that more were done in this vein.

Master_Rebado and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah, I got Luke, Leia, and Palps in DE figs.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  11. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    What's the bottom one supposed to be?

A specific moment from the novels?

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

I guess they want her to be the angsty Hulk since Amadeus Cho is the happier Hulk now and Hulk's gotta angst! I've seen a few issues where Jennifer goes angry and stuff but I kind of dig how she's a lighthearted counterpart to Bruce's eternal angst. Anyway, this is all moot since Bruce will probably be back by the time Thor: Ragnaork kicks off.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    No, the bottom 2 are from an open ILM art challenge where a large number of professional illustrators were given phrases such as "The Moment" and they produced a scene.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week:

Extraordinary X-Men Annual 1
    Uncanny X-men 13
    All New Wolverine 12
    The Mighty Thor 11, got suspense for this one..
    Lucifer 10, which reminds me the 2nd season of the tv show started.
    Justice League 5
    Karnak 5
    International Iron Man 7
    Green Arrow 7
    Civil War II #5

I still passed on Superman and Batman titles, and I was not enthused for Nightwing or GL though I think the female GL character and her weakness are a good thing.

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Ok so, I guess that was not Loki. Apparently the Mjolnir has a well, not new power but kind of a newish power

Next issue an origin for Mjolnir! Someone comments that it is a beautiful comic and they are right. Artist Russell Dauterman.

The latest Green Arrow did something odd. It was going well and then in this issue they introduce what could have been a cool villain crime boss who is a dragon in human form, then they go into anime style leaping with people who are not superhuman, and the dragon is killed. That could have been a cool recurring villain and I suppose still could be if perhaps it is immortal.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I kind of wish it really was just some new, previously unexplained and unseen power because that'd be way more Silver Age Thor than simply referencing Silver Age Thor.

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  18. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Today was a sad day as I picked up my weekly books from my local comic book shop for the final time after 20+ years of shopping there. Good news though is that a used book store less than a block away is taking all of the subscribers lists and getting books for us so I don't have to drive 45 minutes to the next nearest shop.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    ^We all die a little inside when a comic store closes.

This week's pull:

Extraordinary X-Men 14
    Wonder Woman 7
    The Ultimates 10, 11, and....11. [face_waiting] oops.
    Rocket Raccoon and Groot 10
    Kingpin CW 3, this has been quite interesting.
    Captain Marvel 9
    Cap America Sam Wilson 13
    Steve Rogers Cap 5
    Alien Defiance 5
    Hellblazer 2, oh look, Swamp Thing.

BigAl6ft6 and cubman987 like this.
  20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yep. But at least there is an alternative for cubman.

22. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

I'm most looking forward to the new Spider-Man series (the Renew Your Vows one); Spider-Man is my most favorite superhero of all and I really loved the original Renew... miniseries, so I'm particularly excited for this one.

(Question from someone who's only ever bought trade paperbacks; do you have to order monthly issues in advance or can you buy them as a walk-in?)

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

Doom as Iron Man smells like Doc Oct as the Superior Spider-Man which was amazing. However, it doesn't have the same gravitas for me as Doom is traditionally a Reed Richards nemesis, while Dr. Octopus was a long time foil for the web-head.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the Renew Your Vows story as well. However, One More Day, storyline is my most hated Spidey story. I quit reading the title for over a year.

I'm also looking forward to Death of X and learning the fate of Scott Summers.

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    BREAKING: Together with Warren Ellis, we're bringing back WildStorm as an imprint under DC! Find out what series are coming out in 2017! http://bit.ly/2dpuITU

[​IMG]

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  25. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I wasn't collecting comics of any kind kind until about a year ago, and One More Day is the main reason that I will not read post-2007 616 Marvel comics period (save for a few pre-2007 Spider-Man stories).