main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Meh, trying to stay unspoiled for Marvel comics is pretty much impossible. Anything major that happens gets press releases and then you get non-comic readers complaining that Hulk was murdered or Cap is a Nazi or whatever the manufactured controversy of the week is all without context.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Ben like this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I wouldn't say it's just a Marvel thing, it's a DC / Marvel thing. Whenever they do SOMETHING that moves the needle to possible mainstream press, they totally take advantage of it.

That aside, has anyone read The Vision? Got the first trade and it's so good! Vision builds himself a robot family and it doesn't work out. All I want to say but it gets mucho tragic and freaky because of robot people, also some mulling of existence in between horrible things happening. Admittedly, I kind of feel like I'm missing a bit cuz Vision actually didn't make his family in the actual book itself, I'm gonna assume that probably happened in All New, All Different Avengers. But it's very much a character book with some real long, menacing beats and scenes. The Avengers is Vision's day job but working his life with his family is getting messier. There are some nifty apocalyptic portents by the end of the book, which is very cool and fits the story. However, my gripe is that Vision is C-list (even though he's an Avenger) and sometimes when C-list books have these long tales of big, epic storytelling planned out they get turfed because of Crossover Event Avengers Roster XYZ. So hopefully where this book is headed it will allow to get there on it's own. But that's in the future but right now, Vision Vol. 1 is a fantastic read just on it's own.

Anyway, a bit behind but to talk about The Killing Joke movie adaptation, I actually really like it, although the first 40 minutes are not ... anywhere near Killing Joke. I actually do see how the Batgirl stuff fits into Killing Joke thematically, sorta. It gives something Babs to do aside from get shot and the opening 40 min is sort of about twisted relationships which is a huge thematic thing in Killing Joke. As for Batman and Batgirl getting it on ... I'm not too perturbed about it because it has a distinct Batman Returns Batman / Catwoman twisted kinkiness vibe and twisted kinkiness is also a Batman thing. But anyway, the actual Killing Joke of it all I think is great, even if there's a small new thing here and there. you can totally tell when they're copying and pasting the Alan Moore stuff and when they're doing new stuff. It's not exactly neatly integrated but, dangit, having Mark Hamill do all of that delicious Killing Joke Joker stuff is just amazing. So, yes, I do quite like it. Although they really could have just done a straight, 40 minute Killing Joke adaptation and I would have been mucho happy with it. But I do like seeing Batgirl do stuff in the opening and the Oracle post-credit bit is a nice way to leave her as opposed to crippled and crying in a hospital bed like she is last seen in Killing Joke comic.

3. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Aliens vs Predator: Three World War
    Blade of the Immortal
    The Wicked

[​IMG]

This is some badass cover art, by the way.

Dagobahsystem and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah I had already been spoiled a bit due to some headline about what happens to Tony so I didn't hesitate to read Infamous Iron Man. I was never that big a Doom fan but this whole idea is interesting and this first issue is well done.

The Mighty Thor continues to be the best i think. We now have a mega-library, THE library, the Halls Of All Knowing which sits within the Omnipotence ity, The Nexus of all the Gods which was built billions of years ago by the first elder gods. Cool.

So Mjolnir is not just made of uru but has a galaxy eating storm within it. Cool.

Doctor Strange was another that I never got into but now I'll keep up. His confrontation with Nightmare well done and next issue we have Satana, The Devil's Daughter who I know nothing about.

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Reads about Mjolnir...ducks under computer. (Could that be what Galactus is born from, a galaxy eating storm?)

Satana is related to Daemon Hellstrom who is the Son of Satan but for many years was a priest trying to get rid of demons. I think Daemon finally took over hell. As for his sister, the last time I read anything with Satana she was with that fun group of Thunderbolts who were time traveling and met Troll* and Merlyn (the Sorcerer Supreme of the Arthurian era). Kev Walker delivered some amazing art for that series.

*What ever happened to Troll, she was so much fun...

Debating Moon Knight...because I am like a moth to a flame, and I want to see if Lemire actually does sort of right by Marc.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  6. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Satana is adorable. Her scheming in Avengers Alliance was hilarious.

7. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Just read about this on CBR. He was a really good artist from the get-go. This is a page from Hulk Comic (1979):
    [​IMG]

9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Terrible news. Another master gone.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So very true. 2016 is becoming one of the most messed-up years ever.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I received a call about this on the last day of my vacation. Restfulness nullified. What a loss.

[​IMG]

12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Steve Dillon is always great. Hell I even love a run of Ultimate comics he did with Mark Millar and they're oh so very moody.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    Just picked up almost two months worth of comics in my pull list this weekend, dropped like 170... damn you, Rebirth, why you so good?! And with some of Marvel's X-titles coming out in Spring, it's going to lead to some serious Hunger-Games-esque thinning out of my subscriptions!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    2 months worth of books, yikes! At least they held onto it for you for 2 months. I get antsy after 2-3 weeks.

seventhbeacon likes this.
  15. seventhbeacon

Dec 3, 2015

Yeah, I usually pick up weekly or bi-weekly... but crap ton of overtime the past couple months! On the plus side, I have some pretty full arcs thanks to DC's twice-monthly titles, not to mention a few new ones I was eager to try out!

Green Valley had a really strong start for a fantasy story (Max Landis writing), though I might just stop and get the trade when it comes out. Boldly Go was a lot of fun. Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean is next. The Disney Princesses stuff is pretty darn funny, so I'm hoping for something similar. And Champions was a fun start, with a writer and characters I thoroughly enjoy most of the time!

And then there's the TPBs... Vol. 4 of Wicked + Divine is top tier, the Obi-Wan and Anakin miniseries collection (really should have been ongoing, it was fantastic!), and SuperZero, by Palmiotti and Conner!

16. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Is the Pirates comic a generic thing just based on the ride, or is it a tie-in to the movie series?

17. seventhbeacon

Dec 3, 2015

Tie-in to the movies. It's played straight, too... like it isn't a sitcom or comic strip flavor like Disney Princesses, it's more of that balance of humor and adventure. Not a bad first issue either, but it didn't quite grab me. It's set right after the first film, btw.

18. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Nice, I'll have to remember to check out the trade paperback when that comes out.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Overall I am not happy with this DC Rebirth. Lucifer and Hellblazer and WW have been good. Marvel has been killing it, just damned awesome.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week's haul:

Extraordinary X-Men 15.
    Wonder Woman 9
    Wonder Woman 75th Anniversary Special..this is a hefty tome
    The Ultimates 12
    Saga 39
    The Hellblazer 3
    Guardians of the Galaxy 13
    Civil War 2 #6
    Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme #1 NOW! I passed on the reprint of his origin out this week.
    Steve Rogers Captain America 6
    All new All Different Avengers 15, I have not been getting this but it is Thor-centric
    Alien Defiance 6

21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I almost dipped into Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme but thought against it. I'll keep looking at the previews, but dang I am so over Stephen being depowered / owned already.

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Interesting Ed Brubaker piece in which he answered fans' questions at io9.com.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, now these are clever:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    LOL!

where are they^ from ?

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No idea. They were posted elsewhere and I just had to share them.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.