main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I'm pretty excited about IVX for some dang reason. I've avoided the lame cash-grab Civil War II nonsense and my brain knows IVX is no different, and yet... I see the upcoming X-Title push that'll come out of the series next Spring and I'm insanely excited for most of those books.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I read CW 2 before All Different Avengers. Thor in CW has a line after dropping off Spidey "I understand". In the Avengers the entire issue is devoted to her understanding and it was fun reading it after the fact rather than before.

3. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week:

Death Of X 3
    The Unworthy Thor #1 Now!
    Moon Knight 8
    Green Arrow 10
    The Avengers #1 Now!

Light week.

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Is Madrox alive again yet?

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Didn't read this issue yet.

In Unworthy Thor....Beta Ray Bill!

6. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    The only new stuff I got for comic books recently are these

Death of X issues 1, 2 and 3
    Mighty Thor 5, 6 and 12. issue 6 I got is kind of weird its labled as issue 1 and it more of a reprint of issue 6.
    Unworthy Thor issue 1
    All New X Men series 2 issue 1. Bought it just for a dollar off the dollar wall
    Snotgirl issue 3

old back issues of Alpha Flight issues 2, 3 and 6
    Uncanny X Men 244 for 8 bucks. Guess the price was worth it I guess since its Jubilee's first debut appearance

7. patrickurrutia

Feb 14, 2007
    I havent been to the comic book shop since May this last summer this year.

Next time whenever I go to the comic shop thatll be another next 6 months probably next year anyway...

Stuff that I really need to get back to finding at the comic book store.

old single back issues of mid 1990s Amazing Spider Man, Uncanny X Men, and the rest of Wolverine from 102 to 140 and my main focus is old original Alpha Flight

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I finally finished the Vote Loki mini, I think it's pretty great if only because Loki keeps doing these very Loki like things, admits he's lying, admits he's a God who deserves worship, and he goes up even higher. The ending of it is a little too easy how Loki does lose the election, and admit it, it'd be 900% awesomer if they just went there and had Loki be the President of the USA in the Marvel U, but the last few pages are nicely ambiguous as to what Loki's intentions for the whole thing were.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week:

All New X-Men 15
    Uncanny X-Men 15
    Wonder Woman 10
    The Clone Conspiracy 2, cool Spidey vs Doc Oc cover.
    Invincible Iron Man Now! #1 (Sub titled Riri Williams is IRONHEART)
    Green Valley 2
    Daredevil 13
    Captain America Steve Rogers Now! Hail Hydra starts here! #7

10. patrickurrutia

Feb 14, 2007
    Today in the mail I git Essential Amazing Spider Man volume 8. The issues stories are pretty lousy with boring crap from Stegron to crappy guest star issues with Punished and Jigsaw.

The only one decent issue story is of Peter graduating from college I think.

11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So I picked up a few comic books from my local library recently and was reading through them...apparently they're "collections" of various comic issues? But when I open them up it turns out they're not in sequential order? Like I'll see Captain America #3, Captain America #4...and then it'll skip over to some completely unrelated storyline in the subsequent one. Why do they do things this way?

12. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #1 came out today. Planning to get a copy ASAP.

Anyone else happy that Star Wars character Dr. Aphra is getting her own series later this year?

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I learned a new thing!

So Red Skull is threatening this despot. And he informs him that if he wanted he could have him ballet dancing around the room with a gun in his mouth. So he tells the despot he will eventually kill him but needs him right now but at some point he is "partial to la bayadere". And what is that?

La Bayadère (en. The Temple Dancer) (ru. «Баядерка», Bayaderka) is a ballet, originally staged in four acts and seven tableaux by French choreographer Marius Petipa to the music of Ludwig Minkus.

A scene from the ballet, known as The Kingdom of the Shades, is one of the most celebrated excerpts in all of classical ballet.

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Because chances are those that are skipped are tie-ins to other crossover storylines like "Civil War" and "Avengers Vs X-Men". When that happens, it is because the ongoing storylines in the individual issues that tie into the larger crossover are put on hold and when they're collected in trade, the company will decide to leave out those tie-ins and focus on the main storyline. This way the reader will have the story told without interruption from a crossover. The alternative to this is to only publish the relevant material and leave out the rest. DC did this with "Batman: KnightsEnd" in the 90's, which published the main storyline as is, but the "Aftermath" issue of Robin excluded a chunk of that issue's subplot with Tim Drake going out on a date with his girlfriend, in order to get back to the main plot of Tim worrying that his place as Robin will be in jeopardy based on a cryptic statement that Bruce made at the start of the issue.

Marvel would do something similar with the first trade that collected the earliest Venom stories. They published the two cameos from Amazing Spider-Man #298 and 299, but not the whole issues themselves. They reprinted the entirety of Amazing Spider-Man #315, where Venom escapes from the Vault, while the main story that issue was Spider-Man fighting Hydro-Man and then helping his aunt's fiancee who was in debt to the mob due to his gambling addiction. There was no editing of the other story.

The only time you'll find a collection with the tie-in is if it is an older collection or when an omnibus collecting the run of the creative team that's working on a particular title is put out. Unless the tie-in contains relevant information, but the issue cannot be edited to remove the other material.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  15. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Got my copy of Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #1. Liked it overall, although it's primarily setting the stage for a longer story. Some really good writing and artwork, and we got Spider-Man back in his normal setting and family life. This's the Spider-Man comic we should've been getting years ago.

The issue also comes with two fun short stories in the back, with Annie Parker spending time with Dad and Mom respectively.

16. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Is Renew Your Vows a miniseries or an ongoing?

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Artist Nicola Scott in Wonder Woman 10 delivers a cool splash page with a real location, the mall in down town San Diego which is an open air 4 level mega mall which I had been too many times in the early 90s.

I don't know if this is the first time they have done this in WW mythos but it appears that while on the island though the Amazons are tough and skilled and such they do not have WW level superpowers, including Diana. Off the island in the real world she has her abilities.

18. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

It's an ongoing, although it's a loose sequel to a miniseries of the same name that was made as part of Mavel's 2015 Secret Wars event.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Pre "Flashpoint", Diana's abilities are the result of a blessing from the gods. When her bracelets weren't bound together, she had her full powers. When they were bound together, she was normal. Pre Crisis, if she removed her bracelets, her strength increased but she succumbed to berserker rage. On Themyscira, she had the full use of her power, while the other Amazons were just normal.

Master_Lok and VadersLaMent like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm passing on Renew Your Vows, not really out of spite or bitterness or I'm against the concept or anything, but I really loved Secret Wars: Renew Your Vows as it's sort of own thing. Also I have issues of ASM and Spider-Man 2099 stacking up so I really gotta put a dent in those before I add another Spidey book. (I still remain kind of on top of Adjectiveless Spider-Man, though, just cuz I've been reading Bendis Spidey stuff as in,like, every single issue and I'm a Miles fan)

21. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Fair enough.

The first RYV issue has been a nice continuation of the original series so far, if you ever decide you want to take a look (there's also a dinosaur [face_dancing] ). Me personally, RYV is the only Spider-Man series I'm following (beyond old Ultimate Spider-Man back issues); I don't have any interest in non-Peter Parker Spider-Men and the current ASM run has not been telling the stories I like to read for years now. So, a series that continues a graphic novel I like focusing on a street-level Spider-Man, him having his own family, the contrasting of the character's fairly normal, blue-collar civilian life with the wacky superhero world (basically the stuff that appeals to me the most about the character) and I'm onboard.

Out of curiosity, why do you like Miles? I've tried reading some of his stuff and find the character himself to be really bland and and a kind of a disappointing followup after Bendis did a really good job with a Peter Parker Spider-Man.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Even if Bendis Peter Parker was funnier (But Miles gets in some decent quips too), I really like Miles' Prowler-enabled origin story, how it builds off of Death of Spider-Man, and a very different relationship with an Uncle Mentor figure. Ganke is a fun supporting cast too. But really, at it's core, Miles Morales Spider-Man is basically Bendis still doing what he did on Ultimate Spider-Man, a kid who is way in over is head but tries to stand up for what's right anyway despite overwhelming odds, which is what drives pretty much all great Spider-Man stories. and he is often awed being around the Big Time Superheroes but, like Spider-Man does, he is able to stand with them.

23. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Fair enough.

To play devil's advocate here, if Bendis basically did the same thing he was doing before, then what was the point of changing out the hero? IMHO, Ultimate Peter was a more rounded character with a distinct personality. Those are things I never got with Miles.

(To be fair, I have read less of the Miles comics, but of the ones I have, he doesn't really stand out as a character or exhibit quirks that made Peter -- or even Miles own supporting cast, for that matter, stand out.)

FYI, I'm not trying to be disagreeable; I'm just interested in a conversation.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I believe the Death of Spider-Man basically came from Mark Millar when he was doing his "Ultimate Avengers" run, he came up with the idea that Spider-Man is shot and killed by The Punisher (which does happen) but Bendis ran with it for the, admittedly pretty fantastic Hero's last stand Death of Spider-Man. So while the fundamental themes remained the same from both Spider-runs there was a bit of story stuff to mine from DoSM (the Spider-Men crossover really also works well but a lot of the emotional core of that story is borne from Peter Paker's death.)

Then, y'know, he brought back Peter Parker alive for about 2 issues before Secret Wars destroyed the Ultimate verse because comics. (but gave ultimate Peter a happier ending than, y'know, being dead.)

25. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Fair enough, although I'd argue that Death of Spider-Man shouldn't have happened period. For example, they were setting some interesting stuff up with him being given superhero lessons by the Ultimates, the character was growing up (albeit slowly). It seems like there was still a lot in the tank and it was axed for no apparent reason.

(I might appreciate the Spider-Men story, except for the fact that A.) I think having Miles meet his world's Peter Parker worked a lot better and had more impact and B.) the Peter Parker that was used in it was from the post-OMD,"Earth-666," "Mephisto-verse," or whatever the heck you want to call the garbage timeline and series that Joe Quesada and Dan Slott made 616 Spider-Man in through "One More Day" and the subsequent stories.)

It was actually several issues (the story was contained in a couple trade paperbacks). As someone who considered the Ultimate universe to be the de facto comic book version of Marvel (although I didn't care for some of the differences between it and the MCU, but then again, I only read Spider-Man stuff), I didn't appreciate that it had to be destroyed, esp. since it seems like every other reality got a second chance after Secret Wars. Just give one last story and then let it continue to exist beyond the scope of the series.

I did appreciate that Bendis did give Peter and Mary Jane the sendoff they deserved, though. IMHO, regardless of what happened next in the series, that gave closure to the original run of the series with the only really viable ending that it could've had and finally set up Miles to come into his own as the next one to wear the web shooters. I did wish they kind of explored the effects of Peter's return more (I was really curious how Kitty Pryde would've reacted to the news and wondered what the others thought when Mary Jane disappeared around the same time Peter left), but it was great for what it was.