main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    This week:

Uncanny X-Men Annual #1
    Old Man Logan 13 The last Ronin part 5
    All New Wolverine 14
    Thanos Now! #1. My favorite Marvel villain.
    Squadron Supreme #13 I have considered dropping this but this starts a Namor return so I'll stick with it.
    Lucifer #12
    Green Arrow 11
    Life and Death Aliens #3
    Doctor Strange 14
    Sam Wilson Cap 15, D-Man!
    Infamous Iron Man 2

Superheroes and fascism

I think fascism is a term that has been hijacked by too many views. But it's interesting.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yikes, that's a hellova haul. That's like 2 or 3 weeks for me.

I need a solid, like, day to sit down and dig through my stack which is getting kind of ridiculous really. Maybe I'll burn through a few when I have a day off.

3. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Interesting article. Not so sure about the conclusions, though. While the superhero genre has, and will continue, be fodder for a variety of stories, I have a hard time seeing fascism in the run of the mill superhero (unless there's a character or story designed to tell such a story). I get a sense of confirmation bias from the article.

I think it also kind of misses why superheroes are among some of the most beloved characters in the comic book industry.

4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Ben Grimm steals Infamous Iron Man #2.

Doctor Doom killed the Mad Thinker? Doom is not going to be Mr Goody Goody as a hero. I realize this could all be fake on Doom's part, that he has some major plan up his sleeve but if Marvel has that in mind I hope it turns out to be something very far down the road or not at all. I like Doom attempting to be a hero, it is far more unpredictable.

the art needs some help, the Doom/Iron Man suit looked horrible.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

That's nothing. Come see me on Black Friday or FCBD.

It is bias, but it depends on what type of bias. In this case, ethnic overtones and views about criminals and how they are portrayed. Superman, for instance, is no longer the champion of the oppressed and as such, is considered the oppressor because he's no longer fighting for minorities. This is not true, but if you're looking at it as a cultural bias, then it would make sense.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I read the most recent Miles Morales issue of Spider-Man and it ended with a "to be continued in Civil War II #7" and Miles actually wasn't in the issue, which is odd because most of the CWII Spider-Man crossover had done a good job of integrating Miles into the larger narrative from his perspective, so I didn't have to read Civil War II, but this was just an issue completely sans Miles and all of his friends looking for him and it flat out says at the end to read CWII #7 to find out what happpens. which means I guess I'll buckle down and try to snag #7 at least cuz, at least from the Spider-Man issue, it looks like it'll be very Miles-centric.

I haven't read Doom Iron Man, nifty concept just because, hey, more Doctor Doom is always a plus in my book but I'm assuming it is basically probably just Superior Spider-Man again. which is okay but Superior Spider-Man was so awesome can't see it quite hitting that.

Speaking of Superior Spider-Man (well, okay, I'm wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy behind on my Spider-Man books, like almost 10 issues now plus 2 Clone Conspiracy books), y'know what would give the Sony/Marvel Spider-Man a kick in the pants? Go Superior Spider-Man! Like I'm sure Spider-Man: Homecomming will make at least 700 million dollars worldwide probably (which would still make it the lowest Spidey-grossing flick if I doesn't pass AMS2 709 million worldwide) but, as awesome as it is to have an MCU Spider-Man, in the end this is our 6th Peter Parker Spidey movie and I think the moviegoing audience kinda knows how it's going to go down. And I totally wanna see MCU Peter Parker do his thing but the sooner they get into some of the weirder ID/swap / resurrection Spider-stories, I think it would really grab the attention of the larger movie audience. But for sure let Peter Parker MCU get his own flick / Avengers movie but I'd say start going wilder.

But that's basically a long winded way of saying I really wanna see a Superior Spider-Man movie.

7. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Hmm, that's why I don't like events. I don't really want to have to read stuff I'm not interested in to understand the stories I am reading.

Aren't Dr. Doom and Doc Ock different characters with different motivations? Wouldn't that made them different stories.

Fair enough if you want. I absolutely do not, under any circumstances.

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

I'ma just talking broad strokes of "supervillian tries to reform by taking on ID of superhero" however, there is a lot of differences in the smaller strokes - Doc Ock was overtaking Peter Parker's life and, while I haven't read Doom's Iron Man, he seems to be doing his own thing. But I do approve because, dangit, Doctor Doom.

I will admit, the issue is a tad confused since pretty much around the end of "Superior Spider-Man" Marvel put out "Superior Iron Man".

9. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Okay. Not sure I'd be in favor of that kind of movie, but I have more trust in Marvel's film studio than I do in the people in the comics part of the franchise.

10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I will say, for all the Marvel talk about discontinuing the Fantastic Four (which did happen although it came out of Secret Wars which was the most FF-centric big time crossover, like, ever) they're still putting Doctor Doom pretty high up on their current roster and Marvel Studios doesn't even own the film rights to the character.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Best thing in Uncanny X-Men Annual: Domino is killing dudes while infiltrating an outpost, she comes across to guys in a conversation about how he was gonna kill some dirtbag until the guy said the name "Martha" which was the name of his own mom so he just couldn't kill him.

12. patrickurrutia

patrickurrutia Jedi Master star 1

Feb 14, 2007
    Just last night I went online to a website where you can read any old comic book for free. And not its not Comixology or Marvel Unlimited.

Anywayz I read the Factor X series of Age of Apocalypse. Not bad but by the time i was getting into issue 3 of Factor X, I was getting bored of the comic and story where it was just pretty much Alex Summers being jealous of Scott Summers being Sinister's favorite.

13. patrickurrutia

Feb 14, 2007
    Today I jumped back into reading my copy of the X Men trade paperback Epic Collection Children of the Atom. Just started reading the first Unus Untouchable issue.

previous issues I was getting bored of the constant Mastermind and Toad and Blob stuff. Man I was getting bored out of my mind lol

14. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    So... Death of X #4

Once again... Cyclops was right... even if it wasn't even Cyclops. After reading an interview with the author about it all... I just can't fathom how he honestly thinks Cyclops/Emma were the ones in the wrong here...

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week's haul:

Civil War 2 #7...finally.
    Captain Marvel 10...since this is a CW tie-in I guess I should read it first.
    Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme 2
    The Hellblazer 4
    Hellboy and the BPRD 1954
    The Ultimates ^2 Now! #1.... <---Such a messy looking line
    Wonder Woman 11
    Death Of X 4 and no I did not click that spoiler link up there.
    All New X-Men Annual 1
    The Mighty Thor 13

16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Well I finally capitulated and ordered this current Moon Knight run; I'm a little nervous after rereading the first issue 2x and just not feeling it, but we'll see.
    Just finished Grant Morrison's Klaus. There were some moments where I actually said, "Awwww, that was sweet." But the shaman scenes with the
    little blue men taking him the house beyond the Borealis to resurrect him with alien DNA. LOL WTH...oh right, this was Grant Morrison's Superman.
    Preordered the Klaus one shot too (I expect a lot of extras for that price point Boom!).

Also pre-ordered (though I honestly do not know why as I loathe the Aaron take on Strange and the near constant depowering of the character...), the Doctor Strange Monsters Unleashed tie-in
    and Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 16 (Well okay, Moon Girl is utterly adorable from what little I've read...so she gets a pass).
    Also Curse Words 1 and 2.

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Fun article on the most brutal Wolverine beatdowns:

http://www.cbr.com/wolverine-worst-injuries/

actually pointed out that I knew Wolverine was rockin bone claws for awhile there but, I didn't know it was from 93-to-2000. That's a significant chunk of the 90s right there.

18. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Wait, so comics Wolverine had non-metal claws at the time time his movie counterpart was wearing them bronzed?

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Real close, apparently it was December 1999 when Wolverine got his adamantium claws back. Even back in early 2000, Marvel was trying to keep the comics consistent with the movie properties so X-Men the movie wasn't out yet, but it was being shot / in post production with adamantium clawed Wolverine (which came out in May 2000). Still, I'm surprised Wolverine went that long, I thought it was, like a year tops.

20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Nope. It was supposed to be a few issues. But what happened was that Larry Hama and editorial wound up dragging it out. There was a tease for Logan getting back in issue #100 of his first solo series, but then Logan went feral when he rejected the Adamantium in order to save Cannonball. He finally got in back when Marvel did "Apocalypse: The Twelve" storyline. 90's Marvel was notorious for dragging plot lines out. According to Scott Lobdell, the traitor storyline was supposed to have been resolved much sooner than it wound up being.

Darth_Invidious and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

yeah that was fun to read as it happened....that was some reveal. :D I still adore Larry Hama's run. All that Team X stuff is still so much fun. It's a shame Fox never hired him to do a proper Team X for the movies...

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week's haul less than $20!

Extraordinary X-Men 16
    Old Man Logan 14
    Saga 40
    Inhumans vs X-Men #0
    Black Widow 8

A little (lol) something that caught my eye last month in Ultimates, they showed Eternity in chains and snuck in a great big old member.

The Mighty Thor team has changed. It's good but different.

I brain farted and forgot Civil War has an 8th issue coming.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Here are the list of
    Do you have a link to that interview?

Given that I haven't read the interview, but I could see how Cyclops and Emma were in the wrong here, in that Storm was in still talking terms with the Inhumans and Beast was working with the Inhumans in finding a treatment for the terrigen mist.

And...

... given that it was revealed that Scott died almost immediately after arriving in Genosha, and everything after that was a mental projection by Frost, you can say it was an emotional response by Emma on the terrigen mist and the Inhumans.

I thought that was a very sucky way for Scott to go out. Worse than in the Last Stand movie.

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I only read the Death of X spoilers and not the book, however

I think the reveal that Scott was dead way back in issue #1 and the rest of it was just Emma's mental projection is a cool twist and it sort of sticks her close to her Hellfire baddie roots, even if it wasn't a full on "evil" choice, it skates near there.

But I am still miffed they killed off Madrox but, c'mon, it's Jamie! I give it a year.

25. patrickurrutia

Feb 14, 2007
    Looks like another comic book mini shopping spree for me pretty much. Next week Im going to be out of town and pick up some of the new stuff which are these

Mighty Thor 13
    Unworthy Thor 2
    Inhumans Vs X Men 0. I subscribed to it on Marvel.com by logging in with my facebook. havent had any email updates from frikkin Marvel yet.
    maybe pick up All New Wolverine issues 14 and 15 if Im really in the mood
    Snotgirl 4 if the comic book shop has any copies left
    Star Wars Dr Aphra 1.

then its mostly old back issues im looking for from the comic shop anyway. Alpha Flight issues 11-anything, Power Pack if Im lucky to even find any Power Pack issues at all.

Heck I got alot of catching up to do with the 1990s Superman titles involving Fall of Metropolis, etc. Just minor stuff to catch up on and just to enjoy the smaller stuff

Still find old issues of original 1980s to early 1990s Uncanny X men. I still need 245 to 288