main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Unworthy Thor got delayed here. :mad:

Old Man Logan; so I guess in the reset the Montesi Formula is no more? Dracula and all kinds of vampires are in this issue.

2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I'll wait a week to pick up Moon Knight 9. Nothing else I want to read this week and without the rest of the current series, I am in no hurry.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Peter David's answer on Madrox-gate

As I have already said, I do not believe for a moment that Madrox is dead. There was no way that could’ve been Madrox. Wrong costume, and no tattoo on his face. Figuring out who that was would certainly be my first story if they ever offer me a series about him.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Inhumans vs X-Men #0 was good. I like this artwork by Kenneth Rocafort. There is a slight undertone of Rob Liefeld, what with all the women having uplifted perky d-cups and hips going in odd directions, but otherwise it has a cool look to it. He seems to like multiscreen computer set ups.

5. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    As Amazon/Comixology had a sale on Moon Girl & Devil Dragon volume 1, I jumped. In a word, adorable. I may pick these up used in trade eventually. Lunetta reminds me of classic Marvel characters: she's capable, smart, a hero and most of all, fun. If more of the Marvel NOW characters were like this (without social/political agendas/bleak), I'd be happy to give more titles a try. I love how the story is about discovering your uniqueness and learning to embrace it. And the character design is a lot of fun (Luna is very cute, but the obvious swipe at hipsters was extremely funny to me as well. And while the human characters are cartoony, it's pretty great that Devil Dinosaur looks far more detailed and realistic. A tale of two art styles that work very well here). I'll keep an eye on the series (I have issue 16 on pre-order), so if I like that I might seek these out in trade or wait for more digital sales.

Added bonus, I have no desire to read Inhumans material and I completely understood Lunetta's plight.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Hrm, wound up picking up the first two issues of Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme. Really like the art considering how cartoony it is.
    The Native American Shamaness - Sorcerer Supreme is an intriguing character. Got a real Kev Walker era Thunderbolts vibe from the time travel (and Merlin too. Though Walker's Merlin is still the one to top). And, the character that made me not want to buy this? Well, he was written even worse than I expected. Seriously, are Wiccan and Hulking always written so stereotypically? The rest of the characters seemed pretty natural to the story and I like young Ancient One (Yao) and Issac Newton etc.; but Wiccan in his current guise felt completely shoe-horned in as if forced by NOW editorial mandate. Okay, the "Fig Newton" quip was funny, but he is written as a stereotype. If Marvel are going to include characters of every type, they should maybe think outside the box. Generally, I ignore such things but the characterization stood out like a sore thumb). I have no issue with younger characters taking up the reigns if I believe the character and their abilities and while I groaned at Wiccan being the Sorcerer Supreme (in that it implies Stephen dies). I do not here believe Wiccan here.

I'll tread carefully with issue 3; but I was really surprised at how one poorly written character could throw me clean out of the story.

7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Okay, I just read the existing 8 issues of the current Moon Knight run and I am happy to say I was proven very wrong. Lemire definitely wrote one heck of a great first arc (and the art backed that up wonderfully)*. Have to reread the second arc a few times as it unfolds, but I do hope Smallwood sticks around for the artwork; the constant rotation of artists in this second arc is confusing and not serving the story well (with the exception of Francavilla's artwork), so I am pitching for Smallwood to come back quick. He threw in some wonderful graphic design elements especially when playing with white space.

*This first arc would be a great follow up to Huston's The Bottom arc (which remains my favorite of the newer MK series). I could see both of these runs being combined for a Netflix series or a hard R trilogy. And I'm okay with Khonshu being from
    another dimension. Just not the typical ancient aliens bs, which I think Lemire subverted here.

At any rate, I will definitely continue reading as long Lemire is on the book (though I'll be surprised if they go past issue 12); but it would be even better if Smallwood joins him.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Is there a trade yet of Warren Ellis Karnac or has that not put out enough issues yet.

9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Amazon US lists Karnak volume 1 coming out March 14, 2017. I am not seeing it for pre-order in the January or February solicitations so I am not sure if comic shops will get it a little earlier (as they often do). Despite my disinterest in Inhuman characters, I'm a little curious about this and might pick it up myself.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah, I'm not the biggest Inhuman fan either but, c'mon, Warren Ellis writing a super-powerful ass kicking superhero has to have something going for it. Hell, I even have a whole lot of Warren Ellis' Ultimate mini-series runs and those were pretty entertaining.

11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Warren Ellis is hit or miss for me; but I still remember his very weird mystical 90s work for Marvel (Doctor Strange and Hellstrom specifically. He lost me with Doctor Druid). I loved issue 4 from his six issue Moon Knight run and some concepts, but for the most part I was glad to see Warren leave that character behind. Karnak seems more like an Ellis character than Marc Spector to me, so you never know.

I am trying to trade wait for Hickman and Coker's Black Monday Murders (I just had to reread some of his New Avengers issues earlier today...:D)

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week's batch:

All New Wolverine 15
    Unworthy Thor 2, I guess delayed one week is ok.
    Star Wars Doctor Aphra 1. I have not been getting the new SW comics aside from Vader. But I am curious enough to give this a go.
    Dead no More The Clone Conspiracy 3, heard there's a big twist or revelation in this one.
    Moon Knight 9
    Aliens Defiance 7
    Deadman book 2, oh been waiting for this. That first one was awesome.

13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Moon Knight 9 (see this the problem being stupid impatient with a good comics arc, I just bought the digital version even though I'll be getting the physical copy next week).

And... well, that was rather tidy. This felt like a filler issue to me (actually the whole
    Astronaut Moon Knight and his battle against Lupinar (nice to see him again) felt filler. I suppose with Jeff writing several X books that was bound to happen
    . That said, I am looking forward to issue 10 in a huge way: Smallwood is back and I do wonder how LeMire will handle
    Khonshu vs. Marc

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Iron Fist getting a solo title again

I gave the Marvel reboot of Power Man and Iron Fist a go and though it was funny in places it was just not good. The best presentation so far has been Brubaker's remake, it was all but perfect. Thsi new title will apparently follow the Living Weapon attempt which was just a mess.

soitscometothis and Master_Lok like this.
  15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Appears they're pulling a Doctor Strange with Danny, 2 solos and the existing Power Man & Iron Fist. One of those series will take ideas from Brubaker's run as well it should.

Now if only the Doctor Strange main title had a different team and direction.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  17. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

There is a Green Lantern/Star Trek (reboot movies series) crossover.

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Which came after the one involving the Legion of Superheroes. Not to mention the two Trek crossovers with the X-Men.

19. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

A TOS/X-Men comic book, a TNG/X-Men comic book, and a prose novel sequel to the latter.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week:

Doctor Strange/Punisher Magic Bullets 1
    Daredevil 14, read this already, outstanding.
    Green Valley 3
    Old Man Logan 15
    Wonder Woman 12
    All New X-Men 16
    Seven To Eternity 1,2,3. This caught my eye and after flipping through the art I had to get them.

21. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    I got this month's copy of Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows #2. Really good installment that uses Mary Jane Parker as the viewpoint character, showing us her average day in the series' timeframe and how she's making her mark in the superhero business.

(Incidentally, the first Renew Your Vows issue outsold the main Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-Man: Clone Conspiracy issues last month, the latter of which took a significant downward dive in sales. It'll be interesting to see if history repeats itself here.)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Ouch, you know it's bad when a spin off that features the dreaded marriage is doing better than the main title.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    DD ended a storyline quite well. The villain got caught and went peacefully. Blindspot is now blind having his eyes gouged out. The Inhumans might be able to fix him though.

A bump in the road for this latest Old Man Logan. Not horrible but a very cliche issue. "C'mon, Jubilee! Fight it! You can do it!" Same writer, but new artists.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I almost capitulated with Magic Bullets but decided against after reading the preview and remembering it was a Jason Aaron idea.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    It was actually pretty good. I have no idea who Jason Aaron is. I am quite jealous of you folks who know your comic people.