main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So. What Fury whispered to Thor is revealed.

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Yup. I read The Unworthy Thor this morning. It wasn't the ending the story built up in certain terms, but the "whisper" wasn't as shattering or deep in the Thor mythology as I thought it would be. I thought it might be something something from the 60s or 70s, but it did not go that far back. However, it certainly reflects Odinson's perspective and life experiences.

[​IMG]

Here's the Fury revelation: Unworthy Thor’s Secret Revealed: What Did Nick Fury Whisper?
    Now we know: Fury simply whispered, “Gorr was right.”

So… Who Is Gorr, and What Was He Right About?
    Gorr the God Butcher was Thor’s primary antagonist during the first eleven issues of Aaron and Ribic’s “Thor: God of Thunder.” Having seen his family and his desert world devastated by famine, their years of prayers unanswered, Gorr set out to slay all the universe’s gods with All-Black the Necrosword. The then-present Thor (Odinson), past Viking Thor, and future King Thor teamed up with King Thor’s three daughters to eventually defeat Gorr and his master weapon, the Godbomb.

However, in “Thor: God of Thunder” #9, Gorr already recognized Thor Odinson’s doubts about the cause of the gods. “You know I’m right,” he said, taunting as they battled. “That’s why you fight so hard. Why you try so desperately hard to seem noble. Because you see just how petty and useless your kind truly are. You know what I know. That gods have never created or cared for anything except themselves.”

He continued: “The god who doubts. Heh. I change my mind. You’re my favorite Thor.”

[​IMG]

However, Gorr didn’t just condemn the gods. He also made a prediction about them. As the Thors and their daughters were about to destroy him at the end of “Godbomb,” he cried, “You…you don’t deserve this victory, and you know it. All you’ve ever brought this universe is misery. Gods didn’t create mankind, but someday, if they’re not stopped…they will end it. Mark my words.”

So what did Fury’s whisper mean? Thor seems to believe that it confirms “no god is worthy,” but does it apply to Gorr’s prediction as well? Was Gorr also “right” about the gods’ destruction of mankind?

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and VadersLaMent like this.
  3. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I have not been reading the Superman rebirth stuff, so I was a bit confused with the context of the article above, but at the end of it we finally see the continuation of the seeds planted in the "Rebirth" special from last year. It's about time DC move forward with the Watchmen induction to the main DC Universe.

Article re refresh to the "Rebirth" special:

DC Comics To Address Atom, The Watchmen Button And Mr Oz In 2017

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    If they've finally returned Superman to who he should be, then I'll be more than happy to start picking up issues, especially since I love the concept of giving him and Lois a son. It's similar to what they've been doing to Batman (thank you, Scott Snyder) in terms of making his supporting family more important and dialing back some of the darkness.

Anyway, here's what I picked up yesterday:
    • Doom Patrol #5
    • Judge Dredd: Cry of the Werewolf
    • Heavy Metal #285

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    EXCL. PREVIEW: X-Men Prime #1 Kicks Off ResurrXion

[​IMG]

VadersLaMent likes this.
  7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Meh that was the reason behind Thor's unworthyness? :rolleyes:

soitscometothis likes this.
  9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

It's not that confusing.
    They borrowed from Marvel when "Heroes Reborn: The Return" concluded with the Avengers and the Fantastic Four retaining the memories of both the 616 universe and the HR universe.

I figured that's where they were going with this.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week:

X-Men Prime #1
    All New X-Men 19 "The Fateful Finale"
    Old Man Logan 20
    Thanos 5
    Man-Thing 2
    Inhumans Prime 1
    Black Widow 12
    Alien Defiance 10

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Separated at birth?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and VadersLaMent like this.
  12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    A few random thoughts on recent issues.

All new X-Men 19. This is when you can tell they don't give a rat's ass. Did Cyclops get telekinetic optic blasts when I wasn't looking? 'Cuz dude blasts the car and it goes way up in the air instead of being blasted backwards.

Not sure what they are attempting with Man-Thing. It's like a parody of itself because they are afraid it'll be too much like Swamp Thing.

X-Men Prime #1...Kitty and Peter meet up again. I thought they made him gay? Or was he bi? Did Mr Fantastic/God decide to change that? this ends with the X-men mansion in Central Park.

Inhumans Prime #1, I wish they would get rid of Blackbolt's armpit wings. They look stupid.

Thanos 5...I didn't know the Phoenix Force was something you could keep in a cell.

Logan #20...There are times when Logan is quite smart and I wonder back to Classic Marvel RPG stats and think he is deserving of a higher REASON score than Typical(6). Then we see in this issue when he is desperate enough he is in fact stupid and easily fooled.

Anno Dracula...didn't care for it. Just bad.

Invincible Iron Man 5...Unless I am eventuating wrong Tony has learned no lesson and intends to upload all of humanity. :eek:

Ultimates^2 5...Now I understand. i thought this would be what the Guardians of the Galaxy would be like but this is way too serious for that group I guess.

Extraordinary X-Men ended with a baseball game, All New X-Men ended with "Impromptu X-Men Dance Party".

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I did not realize Marvel was having a sales slump

The VP blames it on women and diversity. Or he says the readers are blaming women and diversity. The article author and the comments I think I far more accurate though. The real diversity problem are new #1s every month, too many conflicting storylines, too many titles, and so on. Also, it's still just after Christmas.

14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    they're too damn expensive , they should go back to newsprint , $2 , aim them at kids again ,

Master_Lok likes this.
  15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The problem is Marvel and what they've been doing. DC's been able to take the top spot because they're at $2.99, publishing twice a month, telling better stories and bringing back the fun. Marvel does need to lower prices on their books back to $2.99. $5.99 for a book is too much and DC's been kicking their asses because of it.

Jedi Ben and Master_Lok like this.
  16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am all for diversity and representation, but not at the cost of great characterization, stories and art. And then go ahead and charge an offensive price to boot. Marvel can introduce new characters that reflect a variety of readers without having them replace the tried and true, or at the cost of assassinating the tried and true. The VP is an idiot. Marvel has been bleeding money for years with lackluster series, events and stupid gimmicks.

Give folks compelling characters and fun stories. As the author says, Marvel brass can't blame their tactics on the readership.

I've been clinging to Moon Knight, but that story is being stretched out to extend the issue count. As good as it can be, paying $6 and change for shipping etc (which would be the same if I actually travelled to my shop to buy the issue), is just not worth it any more. My biggest gripe: I don't care what happens and my wallet certainly won't miss the hit.

I love the medium, but my superhero itch is being happily scratched elsewhere.

17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Green Lantern is proof that you can have a diverse mix of GL's, while still telling good stories.

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I have been enjoying the vast majority of this new Marvel. I joined in for DC Rebirth too but I was disappointed really, especially with Batman and Superman was a mess. I do intend to jump back in for Watchmen.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    How is Superman a mess? It's the Post Crisis Superman who is the Superman that everyone knows and remembers. The second Clark was Myx in disguise, helping Clark to reestablish himself as Clark Kent and Superman as two separate people.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So very mad, but could be so very good:

[​IMG]

21. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I am so absolutely psyched for Dark Nights: Metal. Snyder and Capullo's run on Batman isn't just my favorite take on the character, it's maybe my favorite superhero comic run period. It started up at just the right time in my life due to a mixture of personal reasons, and it ended at around the same time it felt like a long chapter of my life was closing. Since then, Snyder's All-Star Batman has been my favorite book to pick up every month, and I've really been looking forward to his reunion with Capullo.

Also that artwork is freaking great.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    For your viewing pleasure...

Featuring Kevin Conroy as Batman, Loren Lester as Nightwing, Melissa Rauch as Harley Quinn and Paget Brewster as Poison Ivy.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week:

X-Men Gold 1, I notice I don't see Psylocke on any of the new X-covers.
    All New Wolverine 19, looks like she traded in the yellow for black.
    Iron Fist 2
    Bullseye 3
    Captain America 15, the store employee quipped, "This was gooood."

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Here are the comics from my pull list this week:
    Batman #20
    Harley Quinn #17
    All-New Wolverine #19
    Spider-Man #15
    X-Men Gold #1

In the news:

MARVEL Says: No More Major Events For ‘At Least’ 18 Months After SECRET EMPIRE[​IMG]

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Ah, Laura Kinney's costume change is not superficial, it's now bullet proof thanks to her sidekick.

Cap:

So, Cap killed Red Skull. Beat him then threw him out a window to crash upon the rocks.[/url]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.