main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Comic stores. All the ones around here still have a couple dozen of each color.

Flash has been pretty good. You might want to get caught up before diving in as the current arc is about the relationship between Eobard Thawne and Barry Allen and came off of "The Button". J'onn hasn't been used much lately, so I don't know what's going on with him. Before "Rebirth", Doctor Fate had an ongoing series. I haven't kept tight tabs on GL. I know that Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz are protecting Earth and seem to be pretty interesting from what little I've seen. If you're enjoying the Superman titles, you should pick up Super-Sons, which is also written by Peter Tomasi. Trinity is tying in nicely to the main books. Supergirl is more along the lines of the show, which if you like or dislike it, is where the direction is. Superwoman is struggling a bit in sales, so I don't know there.

Darkslayer likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, how do you fix Captain America?

Answer: You get Waid and Samnee to do it.

3. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    His first Cap run was excellent, as I understand it. His second run, not so much.

4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Which was which? Marvel are doing an omnibus of the Waid-Garney run.

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Alternate Universe answer: Fire the current Brass and Cap team... :p

Jedi Ben likes this.
  6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I am loving The Ultimates cosmic powers tangles. LOVE Logos. My only criticism would be the mega powerful going into a fight and making sure you know "on our level these fights are just metaphors for what we are really doing." Ugh.

If I have one ongoing pet peeve with comics it's inconsistency. Just a minor thing, but it is a little pinprick. Current example: Foster/Thor just waged war on two VERY powerful cosmic entities and could do things like "hear from galaxies(plural...galaxies) away, yet in Secret Empire she attacks the Hulk with help in one panel is is lying on the floor knocked out in another. A part of me thinks it cool, a part of me says "meh".

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

The first run was 1995 until 1996. I think that was "Man Without A Country", but I could be wrong on the title. It was before "Onslaught" and "Heroes Reborn". That run was well received. After "Heroes Reborn: The Return", Waid came back, but his run was not as well liked.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thanks, found out why I couldn't nail it - Omnibus in Dec apparently covers both.

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yep. When Waid was on the first time, it was after Mark Gruenwald's long run which was starting to lose steam. Sales were starting to rebound under Waid and Garney when Marvel announced "Heroes Reborn". When HR was ending, they were tapped to do a second run since fans wanted more. But it didn't go as well as they had hoped.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Due to a shipping delay and waiting a week, I basically got almost 3 weeks worth of comics in one shot, quite the hefty sum! I also took my nieces to the comic store and the older girl I picked one of those "Who's who DC!" kid-friendly introductory books so she can know her Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, origins, etc. Very Neil Adams style art for the characters. And she grabbed a Spider-Man bobble head.

As for myself, I remember one of my first deep dives into Batman's origins was actually after I saw the original Batman movie as a kid and then at a book fare at school I found this thing which I read cover to cover multiple times:

[​IMG]

It's a colourless black and white (well more like yellow and white) reprint at paperback size. Basically a bundle of pre-80s-crisis origin stories for all of the Bat-family in there, very dynamic. Also has the bit where Bruce Wayne's dad was Batman (at a costume party or something) but the big twist in the end is that Batman is going crazy because someone is stealing personal items from him but he's being tortured by his own psyche. So the bad guy is only himself! Very stressful time for Bats. And a hellova origin prep for a 9 year old.

Master_Lok likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, the Watchmen meet DC is getting it's own 12 issue miniseries, which I think I will read but trade wait. Gladly it'll be collected in one story and hopefully not 900 spin-off titles. "Doomsday Clock".
    http://ew.com/books/2017/07/20/comic-con-watchmen-doomsday-clock-geoff-johns/

I'm not the biggest fan of integrating the Watchmen into the DC-verse but since they've done it I might end up reading it in a collected edition. Also teasing Lex Luthor and Ozymandias meet up!

12. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Oh, that's cool.

My deep dive was shortly after falling in love with Snake Plissken and the Man with No Name a few months apart, and somehow going into a comic book store and seeing Frank Miller's Wolverine in the stacks. There he was, the same kind of anti-hero I just lost my newly teenaged girl mind to...

[​IMG]

I was hooked.

I somehow stumbled into characters because I loved the art or thought they looked cool or interesting (Slaine, Green Arrow, Doctor Strange, Moon Knight etc. most recent was Winter Soldier/Bucky during Ed Brubaker's initial Captain America run.) Not reading any Marvel now, but that's okay. I will always love the medium.

Darth_Invidious and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

My best friend had that and I had read it a couple of times. Yes, it was based on the Pre-Crisis origin of Batman. The mini-series originally came out in 1982, just prior to the introduction of Jason Todd. Bruce's father wearing a Batman costume was a Silver Age tale and was a nod towards Bob Kane's original design.

There won't be any spin offs. Johns has said that it will be self-contained as he wanted to be the one who told the tale. It will take place one year from when issue one hits and once the story is done, the rest of the DCU will catch up.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week:

Free Legacy Previews.
    X-Men Blue 8
    Weapon X 6, I have not been terribly pleased with this.
    Wonder Woman 27
    Thanos 9
    Saga 45
    Infamous Iron Man 10
    Hellblazer 12
    Sam Wilson Cap 24
    Steve Rogers Cap 19
    Secret Empire 7

"Death of the Mighty Thor Part 1". NO NO NO. I hope this is not what it appears. Foster as Thor has been one of the best things in comics...literally ever.

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Saw mention of that, I'd read a novel or two myself; at least if they had folks base it on the comics version, not the Whedon-MCU version anyway.

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Today's issue of The Shadow/Batman justified the entire series with the 3 panels of the Joker laughing followed by 3 more panels of the Joker having stopped laughing but all of the "Ha Ha Ha"s continuing and the Joker muttering, "Oh. That isn't me".

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    y'know, I'm okay with "Doomsday Clock" if the non-Doctor Manhattan Watchmen characters are just Manhattan recreations (cuz two of them are dead by the end). He DID say he'd leave to create life in another galaxy at the end so there's a loophole.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Secret Empire

Cap killed Black Widow. Now, I'm guessing this one ain't gonna stick but still, he hit her with the shield and down she went.

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Two are dead, but the others would still be alive thirty years later. Dan and Laurie would be older. Course, that doesn't mean that time travel couldn't be a factor.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm curious to see how they will combine the gritty Watchmen with the not so gritty DC U.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Not that difficult. DC's been gritty in the past. Gotham alone is gritty. Sue Dibny's rape is pretty gritty, not unlike the original Silk Spectre's assault. However, we're talking about the Multiverse here. "The Dark Knight" comics exists alongside the main DCU. The main point is how Clark and Jon will interact with each other. I wouldn't be surprised if Clark doesn't learn about the fake alien invasion and chastise him for going along with Adrian's deception, just as Jon will say something about what the League did with Doctor Light. Clark is someone who has hope for a better tomorrow, especially after glimpsing it in the 31st and 853rd centuries. Jon is someone who believes that man's nature will inevitably lead to its own destruction and that the universe would probably not even care. Clark preaches that there is always another way, while Jon believes in the inevitably of it all.

These are the things that are on Johns mind and what he's striving for. Picture the ultimate McCoy vs Spock debate.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

That doesn't sound like Spock or McCoy at all.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    McCoy, who argues passionately about human emotions. Spock, who argues that logic is the solution where emotions fail. They wouldn't argue about those things specifically, but the type of arguments that they had, would be the kind that this story would follow. Superman is an alien who is very human and represents the best of humanity. Doctor Manhattan who was born human, but has become godlike and has lost touch with human concepts, represents the best of science and Metahumans. Both can see the mechanisms of humanity, but in differing ways.

Tagged for size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Hmm, I can see that, although from what I recall of Star Trek, Spock is closer to McCoy in outlook than Manhattan.