main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    69p ! damn .

I got a Steranko Nick Fury collection recently , he did such great stuff , wish he'd done more comics , I think he only did 29 .

soitscometothis and Master_Lok like this.
  2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think that
    Irma showed up in "The Button", but was mostly last seen in "Rebirth" in 2016. It was confirmed back then that it was her. Given that in the past Superboy-Prime/The Time Trapper had messed with history, it's not surprising that the Legion would take steps once it happened again.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do anybody know how X-Force and/or X-Factor was involved in the Onslaught event, back in '96
    (it was back in 1996? Oh, man I feel old. Even If the translation was one or two years behind)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I do. With X-Force it was that the team was assigned to stay at the mansion and keep watch over Nate Grey, because the X-Men realized that Onslaught would come after him. However, Mr. Sinister arrives and tries to take Nate, but Onslaught arrives and takes Nate instead, while the team is knocked out. They then have to reunite telepathically in order to regain consciousness. The story ran between X-Man and X-Force.

As to X-Factor, the team tries to prevent the Brotherhood from activating the Sentinels and a final showdown between Beast and Dark Beast takes place, when the former is rescued. X-Factor was important if you wanted to know how the Sentinels launched, but mostly for the story of the two Hanks. X-Force was important mainly to find out how Onslaught got a hold of Nate.

I had gotten most of the tie-in books when the story first came out. I had only recently gotten the two Avengers tie-ins, but didn't bother to get the second part of Generation X. That's when I determined that I didn't have to get every single tie-in, during a crossover event.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    blackmyron and Gamiel like this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks, we mostly only got the main story, the X-Men story and the Spider-Man story over here. I just realised that the X-Force and X-Factor should have been doing something during this event but I had no idea what.

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The stories were divided into Impact and Phase. X-Force was Impact, while X-Man was Phase.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gamiel likes this.
  7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Less than 2 years since the end of Secret Wars, I think? That's a decent-sized absence. I think Wolverine was gone even longer.

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Not that long; he 'died ' just prior to Axis.

I reread the Onslaught series last year. Boy, that really wasn't plotted out at all, was it?

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    We only got some parts of it over here but that's maybe good because the feeling I and my friend got was that it fit relatively well together

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    There's a whole story behind that. Originally, the story was meant to be just the conclusion of the the traitor storyline that began with Bishop's introduction. But that story had kept getting delayed until 1996. But by that point, Marvel had decided on "Heroes Reborn" and decided to piggyback on the X-Men event story, so that they could use it as the launching point. It did fit together, but there were inconsistencies in the narrative. Particularly when it came to the Hulk, as Peter David was in the middle of a storyline and was depicting him one way.

[​IMG]

But in the prelude to #444, Jeph Loeb went and used all three personas for his tie-in in the pages of Cable.

[​IMG]

Other issues had arisen such as Mark Waid and Scott Lobdell not getting along, leading to Waid leaving X-Men a few months after starting and the final issue of "Onslaught" not having the artwork completed for the final ten pages, also hurt the story. Another thing is that even though Marvel had done company wide event stories, they hadn't done them as consistently as DC had. Which is why there is probably a big of an issue in terms of pacing. It also didn't help that Marvel was in turmoil due to poor creative and management decisions behind the scenes, which contributed to the bankruptcy.

Gamiel likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    So, everyone saw the news that IDW are ending their current Transformers continuity with a Unicron event no less?

[​IMG]

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yep. That's how the Marvel series was supposed to end, before getting a brief extension.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    The old Jewish Lunar calendar. That's what determines the start of the Catholic Lent and Holy Week and the Jewish Passover. That's why Easter Sunday shifts dates each year.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Big week.

Tales Of Suspense 102 and 103 which i forgot all about until I saw a "return of Black Widow" discussion.
    Marvel 2 in One 5 Fate of the Four.
    Isola #1 which I I bought on a whim as it looks great. It's a fantasy genre from Image comics.
    Black Bolt 12
    The Curse of Brimstone #1. This is a spinoff from Metal which I did not keep up with. Brimstone was a Darkseid minion what plagued a few heroes some decades ago.
    Batman White Knight 7
    Batman 44
    Avengers Shards Of Infinity #1
    Avengers No Surrender 687
    The New Mutants #2
    X-Men Gold 25
    Astonishing X-Men 10
    All New Wolverine 33
    Iron Fist 79
    Marvel Free Preview.

Had a little conversation about Ready Player One both film and book.

16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I got Planetary book 2. It was as good as I remembered.

BigAl6ft6 and Master_Lok like this.
  17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I pre-ordered the Doctor Strange Damnation trade. Will have to catch up on the rest of Cates run when I can.

@VadersLaMent - in spite of my dislike of Travel Foreman's art, I'll most likely get the remaining issues of that Tales of Suspense run whenever I come across a sale. I'll be curious as to what you think about how that ended.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Slightly spoilery Interview with Marvel VP Tom Breevort on the upcoming Avengers series.
    Considering that Aaron will write stand alone issues featuring the Primordial Avengers, I'll pick up the issue(s) featuring Agamotto and then wait and see if I want to try the whole thing despite my feelings about Aaron's work as a whole.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  19. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Marvel 2 in 1 is the first Marvel series I’ve kept up with besides Star Wars. It’s great. In addition to his work on Sex Criminals for Image, Chip Zdarsky is one of my favorite creators

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Going by the preview of Exiles #1 so is Blink (or at least her mother) from the West Indies, is this something new or just something I have missed? Also do we know if her Akkaba blood is from her mother's or her father's part of the family?

[​IMG]

Also @Master_Lok it might interest you that one of the new members of the Exiles is an Old Woman Khan :p

[​IMG]

21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    @Gamiel thank you, but not interested. Thus far, alternate U Clint Barton is the only older Marvel character I enjoy.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Reading King City by Brandon Graham right now. It's both and adventure and slice-of-life story taking place in a fantastic city that's filled with crazy visuals and puns. I highly recommend it

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    VadersLaMent likes this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Immortal Iron Fist was a really good series and I recently read the end of it (Danny and Misty getting engaged and expecting a baby) and then got confused that later comics have not followed up on this. So I looked up what happened and am right now rather pissed that they quickly retconed away the pregnancy and broke them up. I want my OTP to get a happy ending dammit!

BigAl6ft6 and soitscometothis like this.
  25. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I've been writing some fanfic about Rachel Summers, and while it's always fun to write about stuff with her and Scott, anything with her and Jean is enormously depressing. The first time they meet, this is Jean's response:
    [​IMG]

And, like, Jean nominally embraces her later on, but even then, it's really uncomfortable. And they talk like three more times, then Rachel goes to and back the future and Jean dies. (And, cause Summers' family, Rachel wears her mom's miniskirt and halter top for a couple years.) But there's no way to write it without it just being incredibly sad - and that's even in the context of a girl who grew up in a concentration camp. And I don't think Jean's talked to X-Man at all, even.

Now, Scott on the other hand, is a surprisingly good dad.
    [​IMG]