main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Note to folks who like Marvel previews, try Comics Continuum or Buzz Comics (a french comic board, posts a lot of the previews) and that's where I found the preview to Old Man Hawkeye 5. I wonder if Screenrant's stupid move of posting issue 4's preview before the actual day had something to do with Marvel being more discreet with this preview.

Speaking of previews, okay, this page from this week's Moon Knight 195 is hilarious
    Khonshu in fishing gear [face_laugh]

Still won't make me buy another issue from this writer though. I had no idea that Comics Continuum was even still around. Maybe they'll have some quality reading beyond the previews as cbr.com and newsarama.com have become list-o-ramas as of late.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    VadersLaMent likes this.
  2. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    So the last line of this solit from Marvel's August 2018 comics made me smile (well okay the last line did).

OLD MAN HAWKEYE #8 (of 12)
    • ETHAN SACKS (W) • MARCO CHECCHETTO (A/C)
    • HAWKEYE AND HAWKEYE — TOGETHER AGAIN!
    • It’s HAWKEYE and HAWKEYE back together again, as KATE BISHOP and CLINT BARTON make their way across the Wastelands.
    • But what will their confrontation with SONGBIRD reveal?
    • Plus: BULLSEYE vs. RED SKULL’s secret weapon — the WINTER SOLDIER!
    I've really grown to dislike Kate Bishop (it started when Fraction was writing Hawkeye, but I can live with her being in an issue or two). That said, cannot wait to see a properly grizzled Bucky in that alternate universe (and not that crap that Alex Kot "wrote" and Marco Rudy was unfortunately tasked to draw..)

Looks like I'll be adding Punisher to my digital pull list.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Kelly Thompson's Kate Bishop is a blast.

4. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Fair enough; I really got into the Fraction Hawkeye stuff and it's spinoffs because of the character (tried Kelly Thompson's solo Kate series and really liked that). Easily one of my favorite comics characters.

5. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Different strokes. She is a big thing for people.
    she appears in issue 5 of OMH 5. So unfortunately she’ll be around for at least two more issues 6 and 8. Whatever as long as the team continue to do gtreat work with the other characters and Clint, I will roll. Oh well.

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I’ve been reading a lot of the Champions series lately. I love the team - Ms. Marvel, Hulk (Amadeus), Nova, Spider-Man (Miles), Viv Vision and young Cyclops. Really fun series.

7. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Agreed.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Under $50 this week!

Hunt for Wolverine Mystery in Madripoor 1
    Moon Knight 195
    Infinity Countdown Darkhawk. I have no concern for the character, I just wanted the Infinity stuff.
    Old Man Hawkeye 5
    Dark Souls Age of Fire 1
    X-Men Gold 28
    Wonder Woman 47
    Old Man Logan 40
    Justice League No Justice 3, they basically have a Celestials/Galactus thing going on here.
    Invincible Iron Man 600
    The Hellblazer 22. John on a table getting a pentagram burned into his chest, nice.
    Doctor Strange 390

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    With Spidey #800 coming around the corner, is anyone looking to pick up the variant covers? I use to want variant covers of milestone issues, but my funding for comic books changed. I didn't get any variants for Superman #1000.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I got the 40s cover for Action Comics 1000. It was a decent read if only because there were so many different Superman stories in there, a whole lot were very contemplative. But the faster than a speeding bullet issue by Brad Meltzer and John Cassady is legit excellent.

Been working my way through some Old Man Logan comics, while the story and writing is still great, the Bullseye/Kingpin arc I though suffered from a not as fantastic artist (some of the chaos was good) but, to be perfectly fair, the art on all issues of Old Man Logan across the years have been kind of mind bogglingly good.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Doctor Strange 390 - typical passing the baton issue, but the
    Spider-Man talking to a spider page was [face_rofl] - so that was worth it.
    I think the Damnation collection will be coming right when I need it most. Cates writes some seriously funny stuff when he wants to.

Reread Old Man Hawkeye 5 felt like a filler issue, but still good and Chechetto’s art is great. However, Clint seems to appearing less in each subsequent issue. I understand that is probably why this is 12 issues to give other characters breathing room (and I do not mind in Bullseye’s case), but I want more of this Clint.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This looks interesting:

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There's really no need to buy multiple copies for covers, when there are plenty of websites that will give you the variant covers for free and you can save them to a tumblr account or on Instagram, or whatnot. I bought the Jim Lee cover for Action Comics #1000. I'll only buy a variant cover if the desired cover isn't available for me to purchase. I got the black and white variant for "Doomsday Clock" #1, since I couldn't find the colored one and didn't want the other two. For that series, I've been picking the ones with the DC characters like Lex Luthor, Batman and the Joker.

14. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Or you can buy the trade paperback, with most or all the variants included as bonuses. IMHO, single issue variants are nice in giving you choices for the one issue you want and I can see the appeal of getting a black cover to get customized at a convention. However, I don't get the idea of rebuying the same issue for a different cover if the interior content is just the same (not to mention when there are variant covers that have zero relevance to the series in question, like the original Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows mini having an Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show cover option).

15. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    The only variant cover I was really looking at recently was the Javier Garron Damanation #1, but since that image is available without the cover dress and type online, no need.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This week:

VS 1, 3, and 4. Apparently no #2's. Saw this illustrated by Esad Ribic. Looks cool.
    The Man of Steel #1. So this is the big Bendis debut.
    Marvel 2 in 1 #6
    Infinity Countdown Captain Marvel 1
    Batman Prelude to the Wedding #1
    X-Men Blue 28
    Saga 52
    No Justice #4. This series has been more weird than good.
    Daredevil 603
    Doomsday Clock 5. Feels like it's been forever since the previous issue.
    Marvel Free Previews

17. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    I got the Red annual, which made me happy. Rachel and Jean talked to each other!

18. comradepitrovsky

Jan 5, 2017
    I got the Red annual, which made me happy. Rachel and Jean talked to each other!

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  20. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I noticed "The Pounch!" doesn't have feet.

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I present, the 30 Day Comic Book Challenge. There will be a "question" or "request" of the day for each day in the month of June. But, don't answer a question ahead of time, but you can answer any question for a day that has already occurred, which is current the case, that's it's June 4th.

So, here are the list of questions/requests:

June 1: The first comic you remember buying
    June 2: Long box or short box?
    June 3: Post a pic of your favorite comic book covers (no more than 5 pics)
    June 4: List your top five favorite comic book characters (super heroes or not) and/or groups.
    June 5: What non-super hero comic book would you recommend others to read.
    June 6: What is your most value or cherished comic book in your collection?
    June 7: What is your favorite hero vs. villain matchup? (i.e. Joker vs. Batman, Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin)
    June 8: Draft your fantasy villain team. Limited to seven characters. (you can mix & match characters from DC, Marvel, etc.)
    June 9: What was your first introduction into superheroes? (i.e. cartoons, movies, comic books)
    June 10: List you top five comic book story arcs or events.
    June 11: What retcon or event made you quit reading comics or want to quit reading comics? Or if you could retcon something in comic books, what would it be?
    June 12: List your top 10 favorite live action films based on a comic book?
    June 13: When or if you go to the theater to watch a movie based on a superhero, do you wear a t-shirt, hat, etc of said character? (Ya know, like sports fans do when they go to a sporting event, whether it be a jersey, hat, etc.)
    June 14:
    What comic book character do you consider yourself to be like or most identify with?
    June 15: Have you been to any comic conventions? If so, which ones? Any conventions you would like to attend?
    June 16: When or if you go to the theater to watch a movie based on a superhero, do you wear a t-shirt, hat, etc of said character? (Ya know, like sports fans do when they go to a sporting event, whether it be a jersey, hat, etc.)
    June 17: How long have you been collecting comics?
    June 18: Estimate how many comic books do you have in your collection?
    June 19: List your favorite top five TV shows based on a comic book
    June 20: Give a shout out to your local or favorite comic book store
    June 21: What are some of the comic books you stop reading?
    June 22: Are you reading comic book digitally? If not, would you ever give it a try? If you are, do you ever see yourself reading comic books digitally exclusively?
    June 23: Who are your favorite comic book writers?
    June 24: What is the oldest comic book you own?
    June 25: List your top five comic book artists.
    June 26: What one super power would you like to have?
    June 27: What two characters have the best relationship? (could be romantic, friendship, working relationship, family, etc.)
    June 28: Besides comic books, are there other things you collect? (i.e. action figures, hats, t-shirts, posters, stamps, DVDs/Blu Rays, statues, artist/writer signatures, etc.)
    June 29: What comic book character deserves a live action film or reboot?
    June 30: List the latest comic books you bought?

So, I'll start.

June 1: The first comic you remember buying
    Uncanny X-Men #173.
    [​IMG]

June 2: Long box or short box?

I've been going with the short box. It's definitely easier to carry and move around. And I find short boxes easier to store.

June 3: Post a pic of your favorite comic book covers (no more than 5 pics)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

June 4: List your top five favorite comic book characters (super heroes or not) and/or groups.
    1. X-Men

[​IMG]

2. Batman
    [​IMG]

3. Harley Quinn
    [​IMG]

4. Spider-Man
    [​IMG]

5. Wolverine
    [​IMG]

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    June 1st . First Comic was Superman #397.

June 2nd. Short box.

June 3rd. In no particular order.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    1. First comic I bought was Marvel team up 92, Spider-man and Hawkeye fight Mr Fear.

2. Most of my few thousand comics are in long boxes but I am going to switch to short boxes.

3. I'll try and get back to this.

4. Adam Warlock, Thanos, Iron Fist, Magik, original Nimrod. Note, I did not go for the usual popular characters like Wolverine and Batman as to step away from long term story convolusion.

24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I will probably miss several dates @Sith_Sensei__Prime but for June 5th, I would recommend Mike Grell’s Warlord series from the 70s (not that late aughts one), or Brubaker and Epting’s Velvet.

Fave character that I identify with I would say Stephen Strange; learning new skills to make me a better worker during the day; but striving to be a better person by stomping on what little ego I have. Plus, magic (have to embellish somewhere, no?)

:p

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Right now, off the top of my head is Saga and Y The Last Man both written my Michael K. Vaughn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both are really good pieces of science fiction that are character driven and really explore social interactions and the status quo of the settings of their stories. The character are very well developed with a large amount of depth and charisma. Moreover, the plot and the situations the characters find themselves in definitely play into each's character personalities and mindset. They are just wonderful reads.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Master_Lok likes this.