main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Jealous

Because you didn't like it or because it cost so much to get all of the tie-ins?

June 13: When or if you go to the theater to watch a movie based on a superhero, do you wear a t-shirt, hat, etc of said character?
    I have a Marvel shirt I wear to most of the MCU movies and if it's colder out I wear my Spider-Man hoodie.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't usually go for tie-ins; I stick with the main event. I just didn't like it. I hate to use the phrase, but it "didn't feel like Spider-Man" to me. I'd had issues with Slott's run on the series for a long while, but Spider-Verse was my breaking point. Honestly, I'm not really enthused with anything Marvel's done with their comics in the past few years, save for Ta-Nehisi Coates' run on Black Panther.

3. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    You know Slott is done after the next issue (801)?

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    June 13: When or if you go to the theater to watch a movie based on a superhero, do you wear a t-shirt, hat, etc of said character?

Totally! Although, I don't have any gear for either Ant-Man and The Wasp or Aquaman. Might have to just a generic Marvel t-shirt for Ant-Man and The Wasp and a Justice League shirt for Aquaman.

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    No I do, and I'm excited to see Ryan Ottley come on board as the artist, because his long tenure on Invincible is a big part of the reason why that book stayed pretty consistent in quality right up to the end. But I just haven't liked anything about Marvel recently; the overall "house style" tone, the directions they've taken the characters, the "We're going back to old numbering!" "Just kidding!" short-term marketing tactics, etc. All of it has progressively alienated. DC, on the other hand, I've been on board with entirely. Tom King's Batman run has been humanizing and funny and exciting, his Miracle Man is transcendent, Scott Snyder goes from strength-to-strength, I'm enjoying Bendis' Man of Steel and I'm excited to see him take off from there, the Black Label imprint is exactly what I've been hoping they would do, and Doomsday Clock (a freaking stupid idea on paper) is so much better than it has any right or reason to be.

But I grew up more of a DC kid than anything (all those back issues my grandpa bought were old worn-and-torn copies of Superman and Batman), so it all evens out. Not that I don't deeply, affectionately love Marvel, it's just the MCU is the only place where I feel I'm getting my fix right now. And on the other hand, Wonder Woman aside, I'm impatiently waiting for DC to get their **** together on film.

cubman987 likes this.
  6. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    Gotcha. I'm only reading Star Wars and Spider-Man "family" books anymore - most of the Spider-Man stuff I've liked but I'm ready to see someone else take over the reins - Slott's highs were very high for me but it was starting to get a bit stagnant and I'm excited to see someone else get a shot.

PymParticles likes this.
  7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    June 13th
    Yes I do try to match the nerd shirt with the movie. I only have a Watchmen shirt for DC.

THIS WEEK'S STACK:

Hunt For Wolverine Adamantium Agenda 2
    The Man Of Steel 3 of 6
    Quicksilver 2
    Port Of Earth 6
    Plastic Man 1. I think I used to own a single Plastic Man comic when I was real little.
    Marvel 2 in 1 Annual The Thing Infamous Iron Man.
    The Dead Hand 3
    Coda 1 and 2 from BOOM! comics. Fantasy setting, the art caught my attention.
    X-Men Blue 29
    Wonder Woman 48
    Thor 1, God Of Thunder Reborn. I still have a sore spot for Foster as Thor. This better be good.
    Old Man Logan 41, this has been slipping in quality.
    The New Mutants Dead Souls 4
    Domino 3, this has been fun.

$62 this week.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    June 12: List your top 10 favourite live action films based on a comic book?
    In no particular order:
    Dredd
    Thor:Ragnarok
    (just so funny, and with some excellent action, too)
    The Amazing Spider-Man (the chemistry between the leads makes it)
    X2
    Logan
    GotG 2
    X-Men:First Class

Thor
    Iron Man
    The Avengers

No.

9. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Sometimes, yes. Been rocking my Doctor Strange shirts recently (got dirty looks for wearing DS shirts at Infinity War). [face_laugh]

I ordered Thor #1 today on the strength of some gloriously bonkers spoilers and for Christian Ward's back up story art. It'll get here when it gets here.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I really liked Dan Slott's Amazing Spider-Man 800 just cuz I thought Red Goblin was a pretty interesting idea and it's always fun to see some respective genies put back into bottles at the end. Flash is dead (!) and even though he's officially graduated to Spider-Man's pal, and Venom, and Anti-Venom, and losing his legs, he's been through quite a wringer the last few years. (also I have a sneaking feeling they bumped him off cuz this Flash doesn't mesh with the MCU flash) Don't worry, Flash, in the grave they can't hurt you anymore... even though you are a bully for picking on Puny Parker

And, really, what was up with Flash's T- sweater anyway?

[​IMG]

11. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    June 14: What comic book character do you consider yourself to be like or most identify with?

Doctor Strange: top of the world, then not. Tries to makes things better, not. Grows as a person along the way, yes. Gets their mojo back? In process.

12. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I had some credit for Midtown Comics online so I did end up using that to get the Mark Bagley variant for this since he's my favorite Spidey artist.

Agreed - a solid 2nd to last issue for Mr. Slott and pretty satisfying conclusion to the Red Goblin story; also tied up a lot of his run nicely and included so many bits and pieces of Spider-Man's past or at least referenced them.

June 14: What comic book character do you consider yourself to be like or most identify with?
    I guess Spider-Man? I never really got picked on like Peter did in high school but I still relate to his experiences probably more so than any other character.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Batman. Obviously, not the billionaire part but other characteristics. More often than not, I like to do things on my own and I feel I work better on my own. Additionally, I like to prepare, research, analyze and consider every possible option when dealing with a task or challenge. And I love gadgets and if fanny packs were totally back in fashion, I would rock it like a utility belt. And my wife is Catwoman, as she love cats and feeds all kinds of stray cats. The three cats we adopted were all stray cats that regularly wandered into our backyard.

Master_Lok likes this.
  14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    June 13th: Yes, I wear the appropriate shirt and hat, when I have them. In 89, I wore my "Batman" when I went to see it. Then when I went to "Batman Returns", I had a different shirt that I wore then. For "Batman Forever", I had a hat. "Batman Begins" it was a hat and a shirt and hat for "Superman Returns". For the DC films over the last few years, it's been a Superman hat and a Batman shirt. I wore my Avengers hat when I've gone to see "X-Men: Apocalypse" and both the hat and the shirt for "Infinity War".

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I relate to the somewhat everyman / angsty ones, Spider-Man or Hulk probably. They have incredible powers but it sometimes comes as a burden and their personal lives are perpetually a mess, even with all their strength. I did a long run of the Hulk and he's one of my favourite but the last few iterations have sort of lost something for me. But I will say a few previews of Immortal Hulk have looked cool if only cuz he's chatty and nasty, which was a lot of what he was like in Peter David's run (and on Planet Hulk which the character of the Hulk there was basically an offshot of when Peter David came back for a few issues)

16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    June 15: Have you been to any comic conventions? If so, which ones? Any conventions you would like to attend?

Yes. The Big Apple convention a few times, got a couple of Sean Chen commissions for friends (he was really sweet.).

Right now, no. My love of comics ebbs and flows (and it's more geared toward movies now than comics). Plus, I hate dealing with crowds (as my commutes will attest). That would change if there were several titles I was reading every month and I had the opportunity to meet and buy commissions from artists I enjoy.

17. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    June 15: Have you been to any comic conventions? If so, which ones? Any conventions you would like to attend?

Yes, I've been to C2E2 (Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo) all nine years and I've been to Wizard World Chicago twice. I'd love to go to San Diego Comic Con some day.

18. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

I've attended SDCC, WonderCon, C2E2, Silicon Valley Comic-Con (fka BigWow ComicFest), Heroes and Villains fanfest and Image Expo.

On my bucket list are DragonCon and NYCC.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    June 15th: I have been to two separate conventions over the last seven years. The first one was called Contagion: Outbreak. It apparently didn't do well enough, which lead to O-Comic Con which has done better and I'll be attending again next month. As to which ones I would like to attend, I would attend SDCC and NYCC.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Coda from BOOM! Comics was a great surprise. I'll have to add it to my pull list. "High fantasy, low life". The art is good but has a messy quality, so it's easy to miss little details.

21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    June 17: How long have you been collecting comics?

On and off since 1982.

Thor #1. It's too bad Christian Ward isn't the main artist on this, with Del Mondo providing the back up story. Found it equally annoying and interesting. For that price point and Ward's art only appearing every 3-4 issues, I'll pass. Though Ward provides some amazing panels of old King Thor doing some great things. And the final reveal made me laugh hard. Seriously?!?

Jason has some interesting ideas (and I cannot wait for the Agamotto issue of the Avengers), but there's always something that rubs me the wrong way and his main artists on both books aren't enough to sustain my interest. So, I'll occasionally drop in when it looks like something I'd like happens.

Oh well.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  22. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    June 17: How long have you been collecting comics

I've been reading them since I was really little - but I started collecting comics in 1993 when I was 11 - started out with Spider-Man, then added X-Men, and Batman. Still collect Spider-Man (and Star Wars) comics but pretty much read everything else digitally now.

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    June 17: How long have you been collecting comics

From 1985 to about 1991 on a regular basis. Spotty from 91 to 94. Barely anything from 95 through Marvel's first reboot. Then balls to the wall since then.

24. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Holy ****. The Rannians are infertile. Adam Strange is sleeping with their princess.

Adam is summoned on a regular, predictable basis, and staying only for a few days.

He’s being synced up with Alanna’s reproductive cycle.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    June 17: How long have you been collecting comics?
    Since around 1983, but stopped around 1992. And then started up again around 2006.

June 18: Estimate how many comic books do you have in your collection?

According to this website:
    I have about 30 short boxes worth of comic books, so roughly 4,500 comic books.

BigAl6ft6 and Dagobahsystem like this.