main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    Okay, so I'm back in the midst of reading 52, ande I'm liveng it. I love it because it's not even really a singles eries. It jujps back and forht between practically allt he characters in the DC Universe. And boy are there a LOT of them. I'm just trying to keep them all straight...

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Nightwing, and Robin, are sitting it out, but Clark still appears as a civilian. The others in the series include...

Donna Troy
    Hal Jordan
    Guy Gardner
    John Stewart
    Booster Gold
    Skeets
    Fire
    Steel
    Natasha Irons
    Black Adam
    Dr. Magnus
    Renee Montoya
    The Question
    Elongated Man
    Wonder Girl

And a lot more background characters. Dang!

Slimy!

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've just noticed that the Mike Mignola illustrated Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser has been brought out in trade-paperback form. Has anybody picked this up? I'm a huge fan of Mignola's art, and I'm curious as to how it compares here to his work in Hellboy. But I'm too lazy to go to the shops and look for myself.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I can't help you there, I did not even know it was out.

I hate when I read the new lists wrong. I thought Iron Fist #9 and IF Annual #1 were out this week, but it's actually next week. I did pick up Cap #30 though. Tony figures out who shot Cap and two secondary Cap characters get shot and the Red Skull pulls out his own Deus Ex Machina.

What do you guys think? Steve Rodgers dead for good or not?

4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm just copying this from the comics forum:

Iron Fist #9 and Iron Fist Annual #1 should be read in that order. The annual is actually a story about the now dead previous Iron Fist which shows his time after WWI as a sort of steampunk/League of Extraordinary Gentlemen sort of story. It was interesting but I will say if the main title ever turns to that artwork shown in the annual I'd stop getting it.
    Issue #9 is good and surprising.

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Who is the artist?

Also, Steve Rogers will be up and around again in no time. If they can bring back Bucky, no-one is going to stay dead.

6. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Bucky wasn't actually dead though. For the moment Marvel is adamant that Cap is dead. I have a distinctly hard time believing that. I firmly believe either by ret con or story design (too many coincidences and unanswered questions) that Steve Rogers will be back. I am just waiting for the time they convince Bucky to take the role of Cap.

7. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Certainly going to go at least a year without him, in the main 616, as Brubaker has already stated that have at least that many more issues already planned out and ready for solicit...and each doesn't have Steve coming back. So he'll be gone for at least a year.

And, if you've read the recent books, Hawkeye's "true nature" as seen by Dr. Strange's spell was him in a Captain America suit. And Steve told Stark to do two things in the letter he had delivered to him before he died: "Take care of Bucky, and make sure Captain America lives on without him".

So, all this is making me think that Steve Rogers may be gone for a fairly long time.

8. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
  9. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Beyond the whole Skrull subplot, any speculation about what the next big Maxi-series Marvel is supposedly planning (and been hinting and suggesting for sometime now) will be?

10. Smart_Gungan

Smart_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 31, 2007
    Lately, I've been reading a lot of Devil's Due stuff, their G.I. Joe America's Elite is pretty awesome, especially the new WWIII thing they're doing....anyone else reading that?

11. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I believe will be in the X-Men titles. Right now, all the X-Men titles include the "Endangered Species" storyline where Beast looks to for a cure to repopulate the Mutant race. IIRC, that storyline will lead into X-Men: Massiah Complex starting at the end of this month.

Right now, the pending death of Peter Parker's Aunt May seems to be one of the bigger stories in the series "One More Day."

I'm surprise no one has mentioned the death of the Silver Surfer. I thought the final issue of "Requiem" was an appropriate farewell to the Silver Surfer as even Galactus morned his death.

As for the death of Captain America??? I think Steve Rogers to stay deceased. He's not of this time and he knew it and allowed himself to die. Tony Stark had his body long after the fatal wound and it didn't turn into a Skrull. Additionally, in "Fallen Son" it is shown that Stark and a few other buried the body the same place it was found; in the cold Artic ocean. Captain America will live again, but it won't be Steve Rogers and I hope it's not The Winter Soldier either. I hope it's a new character born out of the Civil War that can bring the Heroes back together.

Speaking of being born again, has anyone been following the new Thor comic book? I thought the last issue was pretty cool because Tony Stark tried to enforce his New Order and registration act on Thor and New Asguard and Thor laid down some old school butt kickin. Good stuff.

12. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Death of Silver Surfer was outside normal continuity. Good series though.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Is Silver Surfer Requiem out of continuity? I must have missed that information.

Most of the posts are related to the Marvel universe. Does anyone read DC titles? I just started reading DC comic books on a regular basis earlier this year, mainly because of their weekly 52 series. But, I started reading the restarted series of Wonder Woman and JLA. The JLA series has become very interesting as Lex Luthor, The Joker and Cheetah has started the InJustice League Unlimited (which is basically the Legion of Doom from the cartoon series). However, unlike the cartoon, this Injustice League is ruthless in their attacks and sends people to the hospital, as it catches the JLA off guard as most of it's members are attending the wedding between Black Canary and Green Arrow. Moreover, the Injustice League cast of characters are more colorful and enteraining than the JLA members. If you're interested in this, it's starts off in Justice League America: Wedding Special - Party Crashers #1 (came out a few weeks ago), which leads into JLA #13 (IIRC came out last week). I'm sure this will tie-in with the weekly series "Countdown."

The Injustice League Unlimited
    [image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1a/JLA_13_Covers.jpg]

Countdown (to the Final Crisis) teasers.
    [image=http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/1475/dcartlc6.jpg] [image=http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/9554/badboysmidgk5.jpg]

I said it before and I'll probably say it again and again, Countdown is very much like the first season of Heroes, with various characters dealing with an unknown destinies, such as Mary Marvel, Jimmy Olsen, etc. that will most likely have a major impact on the fate of the multiverse.

Has anyone seen the Superman: Doomsday animated film? I thought it was pretty good considering it didn't follow the comic book storyline. Although the film definitely earned the PG-13 rating.

Here's my fav 5 comic characters:

1. Batman
    2. Spider-Man
    3. Manga Witchblade
    4. Spawn
    5. Ms. Marvel

Current fav comic titles:

1. World War Hulk
    2. Countdown
    3. New Avengers
    4. X-Men
    5. Marvel Zombies (Marvel Zomibe 2 is upcoming. It's suppose to be like Civil War)

14. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    It's under the Marvel Knights line, those mostly are. I read on some other boards that it is. I'm assuming it is

Yes. All the big guns (Superman, Batman, JLA). Countdown now, and Sinestro Corps. Waiting for Final Crisis.

I thought it was pretty lame. The original story is a classic, why not use at least some of it. There's a nice mini-documentary on the disc. There's a thread on it in Amphitheater

Also following World War Hulk, its getting less impressive as it goes on. And Spider-Man's current situation. I can't follow X-Men anymore, it's too confusing.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I didn't know the thing about the Marvel Knights line. Thanks for the info.

re Superman. My friend and I discussed Superman's fighting skills a few years ago and we determined that he doesn't have any real skills. He just out punches everyone. He's a brawler. We also decided that if there was ever any Kryptonian ninjas that came to earth, Superman would get his butt kicked.

Anyway, I curious about Final Crisis too. I like how DC is building up to it. It totally helps that Countdown is a weekly series, gives me the same satisfication as watching an episode of Heroes and intrigued like an episode of Lost.

It might just be me, but I like it when the good guys get it handed to them once in a while.
    However, it's cool the Guardians have given the Green Lanterns lethal force to strike back against the Sinestro Corps. I wonder how many people they'll kill.

While I'm still on DC, after reading Black Canary and Green Arrow Wedding issue, I have to pick up issue #1 of their series after that wedding night. Damn cliffhangers!

I'm still liking World War Hulk, eventhough the pace has slown down a bit. World War Hulk: X-Men was cool was the best tie-in as the Hulk just went smashy, smashy at the X-Mansion.

Oh yeah, I checked that link re Superman: Doomsday DVD and I'm glad someone else got the "Big Spider" joke. Although the character that spoke those lines was about 50 pound lighter than Kevin Smith. Speaking of which, I have to read his Superman script one of these days. I read the first few pages and I like his opening to Superman Returns much better than the actual film. But, yeah. In comparison to the comic book arc, the DVDs sucks. The dvd doesn't build to the confrontation between Doomsday and Superman. You had that in the comic book, where Doomsday was just pounding the JLA and other super heroes and thus creating a serious unstoppable thread and the only hope was Superman. That was a big missing element from the DVD; the desperation. I also wish Tim Daly and Dana Delany continued as the voices for Superman and Lois Lane.

16. MisterStayPuft

MisterStayPuft Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2007
    New Cap Costume Revealed today.

This is apparently the new look for Captain America #34. Not sure who it is but given the use of weaponry I get a Winter Soldier vibe.

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I like the new look and utility belt, but I'm not diggin' the gun. However, it's a new age and Captain America probably does need to pack some heat.

18. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm thinking the gun looks too small. [face_thinking]

19. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    He carried a pistol at first during World War II, but the costume...too shiny? The front looks bizarre.

20. soitscometosith

soitscometosith Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2005
    I've just found some scans of Iron Fist's battle against Fat Cobra (and they get away with naming a character Fat Cobra[interrobang]; Greatness!) and it looks very cool. I love the way the names of the moves are intergrated into the pannel layout. Aja's work in the backgrounds is incredible - just look at the rain-puddles on the tarmack at the end of the fight.

This is making it so hard to wait for the hardback volume to come out.

The scans I looked at were here.

21. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Who's better: Jean-Paul Valley (Batman 2/Azrael) or Cassandra Cain (Batgirl 3)?

I recently got into the whole comic book thing again and it seems to me that these two Batman characters are very alike. But who would win in a fight? JP could lay the smack down on Bruce, and theoretically so can Cassandra (though I think Bruce outmatched her once?)...

Just tossing this out there because it's aching me to know what people think!

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Grabbed Iron Fist #10. No Daniel Rand in this one; the tournament continues with the other fighters; everyone wonders where Rand is; and surprise surprise Yu-Ti the August Personage of Jade ruler of Kun Lun has a light action page.

23. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Just finished reading New Avengers - Illuminati #5 and I am little confused. I know that the whole Secret Invasion they are planning is supposed to explain a lot of things that have been happening in recent years and show that just about everything thats been happening from Avengers Disassembled to Secret War to House of M to Civil War to World War Hulk has all been part of a grander scheme with origins dating back to the Kree Skrull War. And now we are left to question who is and isn't really a Skrull posing as a hero on earth.

Possible Spoilers Follow:
    They have already outed Elektra and Black Bolt with no word on where the real counter parts are or how long they have been replaced with the Skrull fakes. My question is who else is/may be a Skrull.

To be specific in the pages of New Avengers - Illuminati #5 you see two Skrulls, one holding Moljnir with a costume similar to Thor the other with Organic Steel Skin and Costume similar to Colossus. Both Thor and Colossus are recently resurected but I see no official word on either one. Were these failed attempts that just happen to show up or are these characters actually Skrulls? How many other recently resurected characters are actually Skrulls? Hawkeye? Psylocke?

Can anyone fill me in here?

24. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    To your questions, I don't know or for how long.

Some think that Professor X might be a Skrull. But I very much doubt the newly resurrected Thor would be a Skrull since once a being with high moral value can wield the Hammer of Thor. Hawkeye would seem to be a prime suspect to be a Skrull since everyone thought he was dead after Avengers Disassembled, but then again, it might be too obvious.

This secret invasion is interesting, but I haven't come by any spoilers on it.

25. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Secret Invasion:Thor was so much a concern for me. I am more worried about Colossus and Psylocke honestly. I was overjoyed to see that they had returned from the dead but there were some issue people had with Colossus being brought back and to the best of my knowledge Psylocke was never actually explain...she just sort of appeared. Other characters come to mind like Northstar (though I am unaware of the events that brought him back).

Something else I am confused about is Mighty Avengers. As of the latest issue I've read (#5) of this series Tony Stark is still "dead" yet he seems to be very much present elsewhere in the Universe, in stories that are very much tied into continuing events (ie Secret Invasion). Where does Mighty Avengers take place in relation to the rest of the Marvel U?