main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    I hope Colossus' resurrection is explained as him being a skrull

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Thoughts on Secret Invasion: I REALLY hope Colossus isn't a Skrull. It would just be a slap in the face to Whedon's entire Breakworld plot in Astonishing X-Men. I'm more curious as to where the real Black Bolt is. At the end of Secret War he was imprissoned in a cell in Attilan by his brother Maximus. Is he still there? Did the Skrulls replace him before? After? Too many questions.

As for Mighty Avengers: It is far behind everything else. New Avengers has already recapped the 2nd Mighty Avengers arc, with the Symbiote's in NY and Mighty hasn't even finished it's first arc yet, with Ultron. They delay's have been killing this book.

3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think we should also assume that with the Secret Invasion that some normal humans might be Skrulls as well. Perhaps some of the Congressmen that pushed for the Registration Act. I mean, it would be very helpful for the Skrulls to know that true identity of Earth's superheroes.

Reed Richards could be a Skrull. He pushed to get rid of the Hulk and for the Registration Act. The real Reed Richards could have helped the Skrulls develop a way not to be detected by humans.

As for the Mighty Avengers, Darth Lando is right. It took like four or five months before the last issue was released following the previous one. Marvel has been really awful with it's production and release schedule.

4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    One important thing to remember about Secret Invasion:

When it was first announced/Skrullectra was revealed, Bendis did an interview that said they wouldn't be underwriting Civil War or House of M or any of the other big crossovers. So we won't get "Tony Stark is a Skrull and he caused the Civil War on purpose!!!1!". Bendis specifically said that none of the major players of Civil War were Skrulls at the time. Now, have they been replaced since then? That, we don't know.

5. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Do you have a specific quote about that? Its not that I don't believe you I just get the impression that the intention of Secret Invasion may be hidden between the lines of what he says. They may not be underwriting Civil War or House of M, but what's to say that this wasn't always part of some grander scheme that's been going on. There have been hints throughout New Avengers and other series to suggest that for a long time someone has been pulling strings. It certainly seems to fit into a grander Skrull scheme, and while it may not be unwriting those series I think that the manipulation of things like Civil War would be part of the grander design. What better way to weaken the defense of earth than to pit their champions and protectors against each other in a battle of politics? And what better way to reunite old friends into a unified force than a massive invasion by truly threatening enemy. I hope this will shed light on a lot of unanswered mysteries and might possibly tie up various loose ends. I am just worried about who will be revealed as a Skrull and several of the people fans have been joyous over their return, may not be who we think they are.

I get the feeling that former Sheild Director Maria Hill may be a Skrull as she has had influence for some time and sort of came out of no where after Secret War. I also get the feeling that Secret War itself was somehow manipulated by the Skrulls, as it seems to be roughly the beginning of everything thats happened in the last few years. Taking Nick Fury out of power would certainly be a great strategic victory for the Skrulls.

6. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I did some very quick research and found this tidbit from Comic Book Resources.com

7. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    IMO thats just stupid. Really they have a prime opportunity not to rewrite the series but give them a greater context tieing all this stuff into events reaching pretty far back into the continuity. When you set up an event like Secret Invasion thats intended be a big revelation and bring to light a greater scheme that is supposed to tie into much of the Marvel Universe but then state that the events of House of M or Civil War are essentially immune to the evolution of the story...well to me that defeats the purpose of the big Shocker Event. The Earth Shattering story thats supposed to shake up recent events that has no effect on recent events is an exercise in redundancy. Given how far back this plot goes this has the potential to be really epic in scope and effect, but eliminating entire storylines altogether from its reach just diminishes the whole thing for me.

I understand they are trying to assure fans that they are not rewriting Civil War with this, but to exclude it entirely leaves out the possibility of tieing it deeper into the mythos. I would be more comfortable with the fact that Civil War was the effect of a grander Skrull plot that reaches back to the Kree Skrull war and cement its purpose into the Marvel U rather then suggesting that its not effected and have it retconned in the next few years.

It would be nice for once if one of these Earth shattering events would actually have lasting effects and not just be some short term shock value cash grab. I would really like them to grow a pair and do something that can't be undone later, something truly shocking. At this point we know thats not going to happen so its almost becoming redundant.

//Rant

8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Well, from what Bendis has said, I interpret it as the Avengers Disassembled, House of M, Secret War and Civil War were earthly events, but the Skrulls definitely took advantage of it. I mean, after the Scarlet Witch spoke the words, "No more mutants" it would have given the Skrulls an excellent opportunity to snatch and replace depowered mutants. Additionally, with the superhero community in dissarray, it would made things so much easier for the Skrulls to inflitration S.H.I.E.L.D. or other organizations. I'll see how it plays out.

EDIT: I'm actually happy that the Civil War was a Skrull free event because I liked how it reflected the times. Iron Man was the "Big Brother" metaphor which many feel is the way of the current administration, while Captain American remained the symbol of civil liberty fighting against the "Patriot Act" ERRRRRRR Registration Act.

That's why I'm liking D.C. so much more than Marvel right now and there Countdown to the Final Crisis. I hope it's an everlasting event. I mean the last issue where Superman Prime is jumping through parallel earths and killing their native Superman and JLA members is cool. Plus, D.C. has been pretty much on schedule with their production and release. Sinestro Wars, good. JLA, good. Gotham Underground, good.

9. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    The only issue I have with the Skrull invasion/implantation is that they're not doing enough Runaways issues :p

10. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    To me it seems they are just writing around the events that have already taken place, taking advantage of another opportunity to develop a top-selling maxi-series that really doesn't serve a purpose beyond the immediate future. Its just another event borrowing from a different event without really taking the steps to affect anything, and will likely just end up becoming another series thats retconned or forgotten entirely.

They have been hinting even before Civil War that there is someone or something manipulating the events of the Marvel U for some time now and really it makes sense that it would be the Skrulls. To suggests now that they had no direct effect on specific events and are only taking advantage of them diminishes their efforts as characters IMO. What's more interesting: The guy who picks on someone when they are down, or the guy who created the situation to weaken the Heroes resolve without his knowledge and will strike while the hero is down? I would be much more interested if we discovered that the Skrulls created the opportunity to out Spider-Man and Kill Captain America, to resurrect Colossus and create the Cure for Mutants, or that the Skrulls had systematically infiltrated the US Government and world military and manipulated the registration act that would not only divide but cripple the Superhero community...and now with the Initiative divide them so thin with more superpowered beings of less experience being active that they could quite possibly be counter-productive in the case of invasion. What if they were the reason the Avengers fell apart? What if Quicksilver was a Skrull, and created House of M and the Decimation of the Mutant Race? What if they were the reason the Fantastic Four divided.

I think it adds so many more layers to the mystery and and the story to have it reach that far back and demonstrate that the events we know are part of a grander more insidious plot to weaken the heroes of Earth and divide our greatest defenses. Instead they are simply capitalizing on humanities own stupidity and worming their way between the larger events and being lucky enough to find a moment to strike.

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    At least I know that Iron Fist won't turn out to be a Skrull. We've already been there, done that.:p

12. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003

Oh, he wants to be. You can see it in the whites of his eyes :p Although if he goes all Tony 'Did you know I was an alcoholic? I was! I know all about being an alcoholic!' Stark about it I'm gonna write a really angry letter to...someone. I don't even know who to write to anymore :p

13. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    FF have had Skrull detectors for years

14. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    At least I know that Wolverine won't turn out to be a Skrull. We've already been there, done that.:p

15. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    And usually they would be of benefit. But thanks to excellent intel this time around the Skrulls seem to have found a way to circumvent such detectors as well as (apparently) Doctor Strange's Magics and both Spider-Man and Wolverine's enhanced Senses. Heck Reed hadn't the faintest idea that Black Bolt was a Skrull. Though its reasonable to assume that Reed could also be one.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Iron Fist #11

IF's nemesis Davos, now drops the moniker 'Steel Serpent' to become the 'Steel Phoenix' complete with wings on the serpent tat on his chest. Davos fights one of the other champions of the Cities Of Heaven. I love the names of th emoves the martial artists perform, it has always been an IF standby and I hope it continues. I wonder if they make them up as they go though.

Whirling Devil Dervish
    Foothammer Thunder Strike
    And an Iron Fist like move called 'Steel Poenix Strike(First Execution)'

There is a great scene here too between The Thunderer and Yu-Ti The August Personage Of Jade showing that they may not be on the same page, that they have differences, and they are not so much leader and loyal servant. Daniel returns apparently stronger for his losses and knew knowledge of his own history.

11 for 11, this is a great comic.

17. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    +1

18. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    I do miss regular doses of Runaways quite a bit, and no offense to Whedon, but it's kind of just not the same without BKV.

Immortal Iron Fist is currently my favorite Marvel book, but then again I've been really big on Matt Fraction lately. The Order is good when I don't try to compare it too hard to X-Statix, and Casanova is consistently one of the best things on the shelves, if not THE best.

Haven't been paying too much attention to the Countdown stuff over at DC, but I have been reading JLA, which has been solid, Death of the New Gods, which is pretty good, and I was sort of dipping in and out of the Sinestro Corps stuff for a while. I kind of just want to get to Final Crisis, get it over with, and have a new status quo again that lasts for at least 5 years. Is that too much to ask?

Oh, Resurrection of R'as al-Ghul was pretty decent, but I was happier with the Dini run on 'Tec before the Big Event.

Anyone out there reading The Umbrella Academy? It's my other favorite book right now overall, but I'm not sure how I feel about issue 4.

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I finally was able to sit down and read the final chapter in the Spidey "One More Day" saga. And I'm not happy with the ending. I think it sucks. It's almost as bad as finding out Ben Reily was the real spider-man.

20. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    I want to read the end of Y the last man...

21. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I don't know if there has been a retcon this extensive since Crisis on Infinite Earths. On one hand I like the idea that we get to go back to the classic Spider-Man stories where is the nobody that everyone hates and focus more on his supporting cast. On the other we potentially lose 20 years (roughly) of history and at this point really anything can be changed in that time and they could just chalk it up to the deal with devil. Part of the problem is that so much is left up in the air that I really don't know what to make of it. Like how does this affect the rest of the Marvel U. I kinda liked the fact Peter was becoming more accepted within the Superhero community and was included in some of the larger events being part of the Avengers and all. Now it almost feels like he has been exiled to his own little corner and can't play in any of their raindeer games.

22. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    Ditto. Sheesh. And more Fables would be nice [face_plain]

I'm angry that Loveless has ended for all intents and purposes though. And that I can't get ClanDestine until next freakin month. Anyone heard much about that one?

Also, my standing order is looking a bit low...anyone got any suggestions or new books I might wanna take up?

23. Solo42986

Solo42986 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 4, 2002
    Messiah Complex ends next week, should be interesting to see how they tie everything together...

24. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I am more interested in how the decay of the teams will occur and the storyline leading towards their reunion. More importantly I am psyched for X-Force as X-23 gets bumped up to the majors. :p

25. Im_just_guessing

Oct 23, 2002
    Whose bright idea was it to delay issue 60??