main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm far more sceptical about it all than I was pre-AvX's conclusion.

Although it looks like Gillen-McKelvie have something on the cards that's guaranteed to get my attention!

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Young Avengers? Looks incredible.

I am not plugging this for any reason aside from personal fannery: But, if any of you like Waid/Samnee on Daredevil, you should consider checking out their collab on The Rocketeer. "Cargo of Doom" is rather lovely stuff.

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Have been hearing good things about Waid's Rocketeer.

And yeah, consensus does seem to be that that title is Young Avengers - I'm not so sure, I've found a lot of these teasers quite cryptic.

Still, I buy all my Marvel in trade anyway, but that's going down due to price-gougery!

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I see some pretty cool concepts, and solid writing and art teams (so far). Plus it's always cool to see one of the Big Two take some risks, even if they are coldly calculated ones.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I know you were all pretty steamed over DC's New 52, but some of those series have been beyond reproach. Capullo has delivered the best work of his life on Batman. While I get to check out pretty much everything, I have been sincerely falling in love with what IDW has been doing. Their Artist's Edition books have been glorious and their Mars Attacks and Rocketeer work has pretty much reestablished the 'fan' side of me.

6. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    If anything irritated me greatly on the New 52 it was the apparent lack of notification that saw plots being wrapped up in very abrupt ways on the pre-New 52 titles, that was both unfortunate and entirely avoidable!

Also - who thought New 52 was an accessible, understandable new reader friendly term? [face_dunno]

Frank T. likes this.
  7. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I was indifferent to Marvel NOW initially until they announced they are canceling Amazing Spider-Man (to be replaced with some un-named series). I understand they are trying to capture new readership but how many times are they going to reset to #1 just to get people to read?

I was really hoping that they would at least cut down on the number of franchise titles (how many Avengers and X-Men books do we really need), but that doesn't seem to be the case. I applaud what they did a few years ago with Spider-Man cutting his books down to a single series that printed more often. Then I never had any issues about side series that barely connect to the main series or cross-overs into books I didn't read, and the added benefit of less wait time between issues. It really helped keep the story straight and more interesting.

I dunno, I don't want to pass judgement until I see the results, but they aren't doing a whole lot to win me over.

I have to agree with Myke that I love some of what IDW is doing. Of course I am strictly reading TMNT material, but between the new series (that I've loved so far) and reprints, tpbs and hardcovers of the old Mirage series, I think I am spending as much a month on TMNT material than I am any other company (which is saying something given how much marvel I have been buying lately).

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I agree about Amazing Spidey. I honestly think original flagship titles such as FF and spidey should have been allowed to run their natural numeral course simply due to their herculean runs.

And, those TMNT hardback volumes are glorious.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Before the New 52, the only DC book I was reading was Green Lantern. Now I'm reading Action Comics, All-Star Western, Animal Man, Batman, Demon Knights, Justice League Dark, and Wonder Woman. In that sense, I guess it worked. More importantly for me, it got me to actually go to the comic store and pay attention to comic news, which in turn got me into a bunch of Vertigo, MAX, Dynamite, IDW, and Image stuff I might not've otherwise checked out. I would not be reading Saga with a devotion usually reserved for Metal Gear games without the New 52. So... um, yay? :p

Frank T. likes this.
  10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I was actually excited about New 52, as the classic DCU did nothing for me, and gave it a chance. One year later, I'm back to not reading any DCU books. :p Even the really good ones ended up feeling bland, like I was reading them because I had to. I guess I can't follow two shared universes as large and intertwined as the Marvel and DC ones. So why not spending the time and money I was devoting to DC reading indies?

DC will remain the Vertigo line for me, I guess.

Darth-Lando and Frank T. like this.
  11. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Oh I was definitely looking forward to Marvel NOW as a jumping on point. But I am just disappointed that the attempt to pull in new readers seems to come at the expense of people currently following those series. And that these attempts to take series back to #1 seems to happen more and more frequently.

12. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Oh, by the way, no matter what I just said, I'm going to buy the hell out of Grant Morrison's Multiversity.

Frank T. likes this.
  13. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I will always be interested in X-Men comics(more or less). Avengers not so much. Marvel Cosmic has been the most consistant for me. Waid, Rucka, Bendis, Remender, Fraction, Brubaker, Hickman and others will get me to read at least a few issues of anything. As far as new 52: I was only reading some Batman and Xombi before the relaunch. Now I read Batwoman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Action, Flash, Western, Stormwatch, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Frankenstein, Batman INC, I Vampire, Captain Atom, OMAC and Earth 2. Always lots of Vertigo. Image is putting out my favorite comics for the last year though. I'm adding new Image every month.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I miss that comic so much.
    [​IMG]

=((

Frank T. likes this.
  15. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Nothing about the New 52 has upset me more than OMACs cancelation.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Indies are always going to be where the best ideas happen... while only a minority notice.

Eisner set the precedent for that with his shop, and especially maintaining sole ownership/control over the Spirit. But, every one of us who ever were blessed enough to crack the field got our start in indies, with only a few exceptions. I love indie comics. They are so unrestrained that they will always be where we learn something new that the medium has to offer. Speaking of which, those of you who have the stomach for it, FAUST is returning and I could not be happier. Speaking of violent outside mainstream comics... what did you think of Dredd? I can finally die after seeing such a faithful adaptation. Urban was brilliant.

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    It's amazing how little I care for the big two right now. Marvel kills my favorite character in a terrible 'event' and successfully drives me away from buying anything there.
    DC just keeps destroying more and more stuff just because (Tim Drake was NEVER Robin but instead Red Robin) and seems to be moving towards more slaughter (10 bucks on Nightwing biting it in the new Batman 'event'). Even the books I really enjoy have done things to turn me off lately. Green Lantern was pretty much a constant good but even that seems to be slowly ruined by the new 52.

18. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Yeah, everything I hear about what Marvel and DC are doing these days is making me glad my comic reading is limited to IDW Star Trek and Dark Horse's Star Wars stuff.

19. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Got to say that I was really disappointed with the way AvX has panned out. The series itself frankly could have been done in a smaller number of comics, but then that would have meant either only monthly issues, or less time for the cross-over stories (which was where some of the better material came). But more so how it impacts on the Marvel U that was being worked with. We had barely gotten through Schism when with only 6 months passing AvX throws all of that into disarray. And instead of seeing how the post-Schism status quo would have an effect on characters and the world around them, we got a single arc that barely dealt with it and now another radical shake-up with one side no longer around.

Then we have Hope, the Mutant Messiah that spent 11 issues doing little before a very duex ex machina moment, and then the tease that maybe, just maybe her storyline was about to go somewhere. And instead, we get another "3 words" that does two things: 1) reverses the last time they did that, essentially giving back what they took away (which they did at the time saying it was unwieldy and harming storylines) and thus taking away an entire angle that had provided at least a reasonable justification of what was going on with the line; and 2) giving a big "up yours" to a section of the fandom that has wanted something for 10 years by theoretically removing that as a possibility (although there are more ways around this than ways Xavier or Magneto have been resurrected). Not that I mind much on the second point since the writers have shown that they really have trouble writing Jean as a full Phoenix given the reach of her powers (the old Superman problem) and the only way they think that they can write her is to take away power from her (X-Men: Revolution or the wonderful All New X-Men). And they repeat it with Hope, who instead of maybe retaining a portion of the Phoenix Force instead is just going to be another mutant with mimic abilities (and now on a team with the other prominent mimic who is an example of writers shifting abilities from one issue to another as story dead ends require). Some Mutant Messiah, it wasn't because she was destined to be the vessel, or that she was stronger than anyone else, or more powerful. No, it's because 'she was the only one that could give up the power willingly'. Norman freaking Osborn got treated with more respect and characterisation than this.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I really liked the final issue. :(

Darth-Lando likes this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Daveeeeed - Did you happen to read my post on the previous page about the semi-sequel to that Wrightson book? You may find it of interest... and then spend 6 agonizing months waiting for it to ship to you as last time.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I did! I will probably purchase it.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    OK, so the New 52 somehow led you to Vaughn and Staples Saga, one of the top upcoming trades I'm seriously looking forward to? Kind of cool but you have to admit it's a strange kind of route to take! ;)

24. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I've been reading more and more Image books lately and Peter Panzerfaust has quickly become a favorite of mine. I just love the concept of Peter Pan in WWII. It's got a great Band of Brothers feel as the Lost Boys recall the war and their time with Peter. It's all just too cool.
    This is my number #1 pet peeve with comics. DC is obvious but Marvel does it a lot too. With Amazing Spider-Man being cancelled and relaunched there is simply no such thing as a long running Marvel book that hasn't been renumbered or renamed in the last 5 years.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm pretty excited about Uncanny Avengers, but also Hickman's relaunch of the two main Avengers books. And All-New X-Men might work to Bendis's strengths (plus more Immonen art!). Also very interested in the Gillen/McKelvie book for obvious reasons. And there are many other series with a lot of potential: Iron Man with Gillen, Thor with Aaron/Ribic, Deadpool with Posehn/Tony Moore, Hulk with Waid/Yu, Captain America with Remender/JRJr... Still waiting to see what's going to happen to the Spider-Man books, though. That gets me a bit nervous.