main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    You couldn't pay me to read another book by Loeb. Plus, this new Nova kid isn't even Richard Rider so I have little to no interest. Bendis is one of my guilty pleasures though so I'll still be picking up GotG. :p

2. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I feel like I am one of the few people on earth that still likes Bendis. :p

Darth-Lando likes this.
  3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I like him everywhere but in the Avengers books. His slow pacing doesn't work in the flagship title: he keeps introducing plotlines and leaving them dangling when he's forced to move to the next line-wide event.

4. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    When Marvel Now was first announced Bendis' All-New X-Men was the book I was least interested in. The more time that passed the more I came around to it. Now I can't wait. Despite all the hate Bendis gets online he is incredibly popular and pretty much single-handedly made the Avengers more popular than the X-Men again.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Powers, Daredevil, Ultimate Spiderman - he's excellent on, still. I still want to see the Ultron story he's done with Hitch, but after that? Definitely time to call time on his avengers work.

Avengers? Started off good but it had no identity outside of the event books, the titles practically existed to deal with the aftermath of one event and set up another!

7. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I know I have commented on this before but I have to say again that since the Nickelodeon buyout of the TMNT brand and they deal with IDW, its a great time to be a Turtles comics fan. Not only have they started a rather fascinating and unique take on the franchise with the new monthly series they've been putting out, but their efforts to reprint older comics have helped this Turtles fan catch up on a lot of material I've not been able to find through legitimate means in many, many years. Their Ultimate Collections of the key issues in the original volume one Mirage material, and when supplemented with the Classics TPBs you can fill in quite a bit of the in-continuity material from Volume 1. On top of that they are reprinting the original issues monthly as well. And they've also thrown in reprints of the original Archie TMNT Adventures series. And they seem to have more planned over the next six months. I encourage anyone who is a TMNT fan to pick up some of this...mostly because I want them to continue...I would love to have access all the original Mirage stories.

8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh god that last issue of JiM.

[​IMG]

Really made all the more gutwrenching by the fact that this sort of character death is going to stick. Hard.

9. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I've seen a scan of the part with
    Kid Loki addressing the readers
    Heartbreaking. :(

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Finally got my hands on Pathfinder comics 1 and 2. I was not expecting gaming material. The characters list as 1st level but are definitely not in the actual comic.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Before Watchmen: Dollar Bill.

...Really?

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Even though I literally just googled it, I still don't quite believe it. [face_sigh]

13. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't believe it. And I'm not going to google it so that I can go on not believing.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  16. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    That's stupid. What next? Spider Jerusalem in the new 52? This is a worse idea than making comics suck on purpose.

17. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    So Marvel Now is in full swing with a bunch of new #1s being released this week and last. I've given them all a try and have a few thoughts on each:

Iron Man - Greg Land is a controversial artist but this may be the perfect book for him. If all the women look like supermodels it's a perfect fit for Tony Stark's world and scenes with Tony in the Iron Man armor look great.

Deadpool - Deadpool vs. zombified US Presidents. 'Nuff said! I'm having trouble deciding on my favorite line in the book, FDR saying "Here's a new deal: DIE!" or Lincoln saying "I've always wanted to try that" after shooting Wade in the back of the head.

Fantastic Four - I knew it would be hard to follow Hickman on this book but Fraction does a decent job. I love the idea of the FF spending a year traveling the galaxy/timestream/multiverse and only being gone for a second but their reasoning for having a second FF team (the team that will be staring in FF) is questionable. Bagley does an OK job but I've never been that big of a fan of his outside of Ultimate Spider-Man.

Thor: God of Thunder - This was probably my favorite of the new #1s so far. It's got a very cool system of telling one story set in three different time periods. Young Thor in 9th century Iceland, Modern Thor flying around in outer space, and Old Thor as the last king of Asgard all facing off against the same God-slaying enemy. Aaron does not disappoint.

All New X-Men - I liked this book. There is some Bendis-y dialogue so Bendis haters need not apply. The concept of the O5 seeing today's X-Men is very cool. We've all seen plenty of superhero comics deal with alternate futures and distopias in the past and it's a nice change of pace to see the reverse with those past characters seeing where they are today. I'll be honest though, these new mutants they introduced bore the hell out of me. I already miss the days of "No More Mutants".

X-Men Legacy - How in the world did Legion get his own book? It has an somewhat interesting premise and we get to see inside Legion's mind and the mental prison he's constructed for his thousands of personalities but I just don't see this book lasting longer than an arc or two. I don't think I'll be reading any more of this unless I hear some very good reviews of future issues.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Attention UK-based posters, anyone who is considering checking out 100 Bullets by Azzarello-Risso, check these offers out. Deluxe Book 3 remains at the £24-25 mark in comparison, standard RP for these 18-20 issue, oversized hardback collections is £37.99!

100 Bullets Book 4 Deluxe!

£12.74!

http://www.amazon.co...53104989&sr=8-4

Also, for anyone on the fence about getting these RRP £37.99 OHC editions, Amazon has some very good offers on the previous volumes!

Book 1: £19.00 (50% off)
    http://www.amazon.co...53104989&sr=8-1

Book 2: £19.00 (50% off)
    http://www.amazon.co...53104989&sr=8-4

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Actually, I'm a... I don't know what the term is. I hate Bendis on team books, but like him on, like, Daredevil and Spider-Man. That said, I picked up All New because I liked the previews, and wasn't disappointed. The characters who Bendis-speak should be Bendis-speaking, and I'm liking his portrayal of Cyclops' faction, even if I found Beast to be a bit ham-handed. "Mutant genocide." Right.

That said, my favorite of the Now books (Assuming Punisher Warzone doesn't count) so far has been Thor, which is Aaron at his deliciously Aaronest. Plus Thor. Ergo brilliance. I'm waiting on Fantastic Four until the verdict on the first arc is in, because Fraction's really hit and miss with me. Like, outrageously hit and miss.

Now all of that being said, Saga was back this week. Everything else was secondary.

20. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    100 Bullets is my favorite crime fiction.

Notice that I didn't say comics.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    So, has anyone tried the Valiant relaunch? I just got the new Archer & Armstrong and it's pretty good.

22. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    So...ASM#698 happened. Is this really what they meant when they said Peter Parker wouldn't be Superior Spider-Man? I was planning on skipping it but I may have to pick it up now. For those who haven't read it:
    Most of the issue is pretty standard stuff with Spidey swinging around, stopping a minor villain, and meeting up with MJ and Aunt May. Eventually he gets a call from the Avengers that Dr. Octopus is dying in prison and asking for him. In the final pages we learn that somehow, from his deathbead in prison, Doc Ock has pulled a Freaky Friday and swapped bodies with Peter Parker, gaining all of Peter's memories and has been in his body throughout the entire issue. Peter, trapped in Octavius' dying body is unable to tell anyone. The issue ends with Otto's body flatlining with Peter trapped inside as "Spider-Man" walks away casually not caring.
    This is a pretty ballsy move for Marvel, assuming it doesn't get reversed in the final two issues.

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  24. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I bet there's more to the story that just #698. Still, I can see why Slott said he would be hiding for a while. :p

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm actually reading Spider-Man for the time being just for this plotline. Say what you will about internet leaks, but it got me to buy the issue and I wasn't disappointed.

On a completely unrelated note: oh man, that Django Unchained comic. Do want.