main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So somebody on the inside leaked out the entirety of ASM #700.

And I mean, the entirety. I have read the issue.

Without going into spoilers: well, that's certainly a thing. Ayup. Not even really sure about how I feel about it. Kind of weird to parse.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I read the "important" page and got the gist of it. It's about what I expected to happen since reading 698. I'll be surprised if this lasts 2 years. Superior Spider-Man will be no more by the time the next movie comes out, of that you can be sure.

3. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I absolutely agree on that assessment, though I think two years might be generous. The way Slott's playing it up as a "big permanent change" makes it seem stuntier than usual.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Even Wacker has been saying things like "Peter Parker fans will eventually die out, like Ben Reilly's did", trolling the Internet.

So yeah, I can't see it lasting. I'm sure it's going to be a fun ride, though.

EDIT: I also saw the page in question in tumblr.

5. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    General comic fandom also seems to be setting out to make me "proud" as Slott's starting to get death threats over his twitter. Stay classy. :rolleyes:

As Avenging is also getting posted now, I'm forced to conclude Marvel has a serious security hole somewhere on the inside.

...Assuming [redacted] isn't Slott himself. Sometimes I wonder.

6. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    He had announced he was leaving the Internet as soon as #700 hit the stands. Not surprising.

7. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Marvel NOW! continues with more #1s ...

Uncanny Avengers - Somehow I missed this one on my last roundup. I'm torn on Marvel's newest flagship title. I love Remender's work and Cassaday is great but so far, two issues in, I'm just not feeling it. Having Havok lead this team with Captain Freaking America right next to him just seems...odd.

Captain America - I read issue #1 when it came out a few weeks ago but had to pull it out again because I honestly had no memory of what happened in this book. It's decent enough but if you're not a JRJR fan I'd recommend passing.

FF - Mike Allred is the only reason I'll be reading this book. I'm not really a fan of any of the characters and the concept is kinda wacky. The Fantastic Four are taking a year long time travel/ space travel family adventure and need "replacements" for the 4 minutes of Earth time that they will be gone. I'm sure something will go wrong and they'll be gone longer than 4 mins but...why in the world would they recruit a team for this? There are a dozen Avengers teams who could probably manage without the FF for 4 minutes. But Mike Allred on an ongoing series? Yes please.

Indestructible Hulk - I liked this book more than I thought I would. I haven't liked an ongoing Hulk book since PAD was writing but this one surprised me. I like the concept of Bruce Banner working with SHIELD doing genius-y things while still getting to Hulk out when necessary.

Thunderbolts - Steve Dillon is drawing The Punisher again and that is A-OK with me. The rest of this book though... Honestly, it's hard to say. This first issue was just a recruiting issue with Ross/Red Hulk gathering the troops so to speak but he didn't even tell anyone what they were being recruited for! Just some sort of black-ops stuff I guess. Punisher, Deadpool, Venom, Electra...there are a lot of popular characters in this book. But every one also tends to be a bit of a loner. It will be interesting to see if Way can pull off all of them working together.

Cable and X-Force - Like Thunderbolts, this issue didn't clearly state just what the book is about either. All we know is Cable has put together a team for...something. And they are on the wrong side of the law. This book has Dr. Nemesis though, so it wins points for that.

Avengers - This book is Hickman at his finest. I liked it, but I really have no idea what's going on. Like his work on Fantastic Four it will most likely read beautifully once collected but I tend to have to read his stuff twice because I have no idea what's going on the first time through. It also doesn't help that he introduces new villains and drops us in halfway through their evil plan.

Avengers Arena - So we have some characters from Avengers Academy, some from Runaways, and a few new characters all in a Hunger Games-esque fight to the death for Arcade's amusement. I honestly don't see how this can be an ongoing and not a mini-series but there you go. The first issue wasn't bad but Runaways fans may be disappointed that the focus seems to be clearly on the Avengers Academy characters. Nico and Chase are nothing more than wallpaper so far and IIRC didn't even have any lines.

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    This was kind of depressingly weak, IMO. I had high hopes, but they might not pan out.

They killed 4chan man. :_|

Exactly - Hickman at his very best is semi-incomprehensible and decidedly weird. See also The Manhattan Projects.

9. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I got the first issue of Manhattan Projects for free on Comixology and didn't read it for like a month. When I finally did I was instantly hooked and bought every other issue that was available right then and there. :p

Ramza and Frank T. like this.
  10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Amen to that.

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I caught on CNN that Slott's recieving death threats pertaining to the leaked 700 issue.

NM, Ramza beat me to it.

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, sorry, I was sort of live on the scene for that one, so I found out as soon as he posted on his twitter about it. :p

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Evidently there are several alleged copies of it on Ebay already.:rolleyes:

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh good, I look forward to yet another comic getting an undeserved large print run because of the mainstream news. Not that it was a bad issue, mind, just not what I'd say warrants the sales it's inevitably going to get at this point.

Although I must say, they're incorporating Superior into the next arc in Daredevil and I'm excited to read it. But I'm usually excited to read Daredevil, so I guess that's not saying much.

15. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm liking Avengers Arena a lot. The first issue left me undecided, but the second one had some amazing storytelling. And that last page...

16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Yeah, AA is surprising me - if it continues to be this good I will be picking up the trade. Kev Walker's art is pretty much perfect for this story, I hope they keep him on.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I have not read it yet but I did buy ASM 700 after years of not buying much in the way of comics for years. I catch a headline here and there alluding to controversy including something about Kevin Smith calling their bluff. I'll read it later.

18. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    I bought ASM today too. I'm not a regular reader but I love Spidey and the controversy ensnared me.

I really enjoyed the reversed-roles chess match that Peter and Ock played out between them. I suppose the most likely scenario is that the newly heroic Ock will, after a lengthy redemption arc, voluntarily switch the real Peter back. Though, as I say, I haven't followed the comic. Are there any clues for longtime readers?

Anyway, it easily got me interested enough to pick up Superior when it comes out, so I guess if they're trying to attract new readers then they must be doing something right.

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The clue is that
    ultimate unstoppable Mary Su- I mean, Carlie Cooper - knows the truth and therefore not even God or Mephisto or Jack Kirby can stop the status quo from being restored because she's just so damn perfect.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Carlie Cooper stopped being relevant to the book 100 issues ago. :p

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Didn't she have a decent role in Big Time and Spider Island? Those were only like 25 issues back, which, if I recall Marvel's publishing scheme correctly, means they were printed three weeks ago. :p

22. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Peter David has suffered a stroke. Half his body is currently paralysed.:(

Link

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  24. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Just heard about this. :(

25. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Oh wow that's awful. So sad. :( X-Factor is one of my favorite books and the most consistently good X-book over the past 5 years or so.