main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I just got the hardback of Jonathon Ross and Tommy Lee Edwards' Turf, and it's beautiful. I was wary of Ross' pet project, especially as it involved a mash-up of vampires, aliens, and mobsters, which kind of screams creative diarrhea as far as I'm concerned, but... I really like it. The first issue is over-wordy and a bit awkward, but after that it finds its feet and settles down into an enjoyable slice of hokum. What really impressed me was the art, though: I'd not heard of Tommy Lee Edwards before this, but his pencils are gorgeous, and really bring the 1929 setting to life. Plus, the book itself feels of a better quality than any of the Marvel hardbacks I own, and those are quite nice in themselves.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, I bought it ages back more for TLE's art than Ross' story but both work well together, a pity their Golden Age is no longer on the cards.

I'm looking forward to the trade of the Ross-Hitch America's Got Powers.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So the new Constantine series leaked.

[​IMG]

I'll be checking out the first arc because... well, because I'm in denial, I guess... but to say my expectations are being met in the cruelest turn of the phrase would not be inaccurate.

4. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    Has anyone here read Jonathan Hickman's Nightly News from Image... To say its years ahead of its time is the understatement of the year. Its a 6 part series and is absolutely worth purchasing.

Go to Amazon its basically dirt cheap, $12, so worth every penny.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I haven't heard about this. I'm intrigued. Morbid curiosity.

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    From what I could tell in the discussion of the leaked issue on a certain other site, the folks who weren't invested gave it a mediocre to poor, and those of us who were Hellblazer fans posted a lot of variants of:
    [​IMG]
    I suspect Lemire's status as "co-writer" has been trumped up, because I'm kind of at a loss as to how he could write something so... ... whatever that was.

At least my copy of the Contract with God trilogy should be arriving on Wednesday, in addition to the scheduled Saga shipping. Nice proverbial sort of mouthwash, that.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Great as it is, Pax Romana kicks its arse!

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Jesus Christ DC what the actual goddamn **** are you doing? With Card on indefinite hold and my initial wrath subsided by the passage of time, I had planned to pick up the first Andy Diggle issue of Action, but, honestly, what's the point?

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Not only that but Fialkov's now exited the GL books.

Ladies and gentlemen, it's official: It's a clusterfrell!

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Should we just start taking bets on how long until Greg Pak pulls out of Batman/Superman?

11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The way things are going - why not?

Still, at least it sounds like no one's messin' with Brother Lono!

Frank T. likes this.
  12. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I have not heard of Pak's Batman/Superman. Can I get a link to some info?

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
  14. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Thanks. They had me at Greg Pak. Jae Lee art too!

15. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    So my very awesome girlfriend got me MetaMaus. I can't wait to start it. :)

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You are welcome again.

I have decided that until the entire world is reading Fearless Dawn that taste is not subjective... it is non-existent.

siha and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  17. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I always knew Dave and Myke would make a lovely couple. Mazel Tov you guys!!

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Carmine Infantino has passed away.

Curiously the article neglects to point out that he was one of the two people most responsible for the comic that literally kicked off the Silver Age, but, well, he was one of the two people most responsible for the comic that literally kicked off the Silver Age; not that I suspect any of the thread regulars need to be told that. We've lost a giant.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Apple also banned the book Sex outright. Considering their consistent stance on gay rights issues I doubt it's rooted in intrinsic homophobia and more rooted in their Byzantine and moronic app policies.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    What the hell?

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Since we topically steer toward this being a bath house comic shop, we need a book of the week discussion, beginning with:
    [​IMG]

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I'm shocked that they have done something so openly homophobic in this day and age. Saga has always had pretty graphic sex scenes. The fact that it's a same-sex couple really shouldn't make any difference at all.

24. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    As Ramza pointed out I doubt it's intentionally homophobic, more likely they are dropping it due to the depiction of sex (albeit inconsistently) and it just happens to be a gay sex scene. I doubt it's as malicious as it seems, just someone not really paying attention.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Someone should have been paying attention, this is likely to be a costly error!