main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I keep hearing that there could be good married Spidey stories, but there weren't. Marrying him was a stupid move to tie in with the newspaper strip and sell some cheap comics, a mistake on par with Knightfall or Death of Superman, and rightly overturned like them. When you have to turn to contrivances (totem powers!) to make interesting a character whose concept EVERYONE loves, it's because you've damaged him. Marrying Superdad is not the same as marrying Unlucky-Yet-Heroic: one could work, the other one is loved just by middle-aged married men that can't let go.

2. Kran Starborn

Kran Starborn Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 19, 2013
    Sorry to not really add anything to the whole marriages in comic books but i wanted to get peoples opinion that I had on interesting beginning for a potential ongoing Nite Owl series:

I know its gonna be really difficult to do that sort of thing but I wanna give it a shot and you all tell me what you think okay thank you. First I wanna make a few points before going into it. At the end of Watchmen basically everyone is dead cept for Nite Owl, Silk Spectre and Dr. Manhattan. But Dr. Manhattan has chosen to live in space because everyone thinks he caused that explosion that killed so many. But if you remember Rorschach in his last act sent his diary to the newspaper and the assumption is they publish it because there is nothing else left to publish.

Now on how they could start a Nite Owl ongoing series even after Watchmen. Rorschach’s journal get published people read it and some people believe what had happened was all a lie and chaos will erupt in the city. Crime rate will go up forcing Nite Owl with Silk Spectre but she always seemed like she wanted a normal life. But forcing them to get into action and being that light in the dark. And all that could create villians that would be difficult to beat but they would have to try and face them. Maybe its not perfect but its a start of it. Thoughts? Please and thank you for at least reading and giving your opinion wether its positive or negative just because I think this would be interesting but idk its just I really love Nite Owl and would love to read more of him then just Watchmen and the Before Watchmen series but thats just me.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There were good stories with the marriage and could have been even more, if they just tried. As to the age of the readers, I hate to break it to you, but if teens and kids had no problem with it, then by all rights, there was no reason to get rid of it. Where we had problems was the BS reasons for getting rid of the marriage and not doing it in a logical manner. I can counter with grown men with a ****-** for single Peter Parker who couldn't keep a girlfriend, that couldn't let go of that and accept change.

As to "The Death Of Superman" being a mistake, how? It's purpose wasn't to sell comics. It was a replacement for the delayed wedding due to "Lois And Clark". And in turn, it gave us a wealth of stories and characters coming out of it. We got Superboy, Steel, the Cyborg, Parallax, Kyle Rayner, Doomsday, Lex rebuilding Gotham and becoming President, and a new take on the Eradicator. The Knight Trilogy gave us Bane and Azrael, as well as demonstrated why Batman doesn't work as a Punisher type character. Just as Superman's death showed the world how much the fandom truly loves the character. Those two stories were never meant to be permanent, though Batman could have been if sales spiked even higher than they were. Spider-Man's marriage, though, was evolution on the character's part. Just like growing up, graduating from high school, going to college and even becoming a professor.

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    DoS has been blamed for the collapse of the comics market before, so yes, Big Mistake, with a capital B and a capital M. You can retroactively paint it as a deconstruction of the Iron Age as much as you want to, but it was just a gimmick to sell comics by killing a character that no one was caring about anymore. Sorry to break it to you, but it was time you learned the truth.

Spider-Man's marriage was not evolution: it was such a deep, deep, deep mistake that they had been trying to get rid of it for years, because it changed the character to the point of making it unrecognizable and negated everything that had made the character popular and, dare I say, loved. The last Marvel administration had the balls to see there was no way they could fix the mistake without resorting to an awful deus ex machina, and they also had the balls to accept the basement-dweller backlash it caused, only because it was the best for the character. And thanks to that decision we've had better Spider-Man comics than we've had in two decades. Wait. You don't know that. You stopped reading.

Ender Sai likes this.
  5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Indeed. If you want to talk about unjustly ruining a character's marriage, the much better case is Storm.

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I know the truth. I've read up on it.

1. The collapse was coming anyway, because the industry refused to raise the prices on their comics, in order to have shelf space in the newsstand market. That's why the newsstand market dried up between 1998 and 2001.

2. Marvel is the one that caused the collapse, not DC. That started when Ronald O. Perelman bought Marvel in 1989 and ran it into the ground, by creating junk bonds, by purchasing way too many companies and thus racking up a lot of debt, and by letting the marketing department have control over editorial. That's why the company went bankrupt in 1996, a year after being warned by Ike Perlmutter that this was going to happen and that making movies and creating new avenues of merchandising, was the way to go.

3. Superman's death was not done because people stopped caring about him. Sales on the books had increased since 1986, with four ongoing titles and merchandising was doing well. "Superboy"/"The Adventures Of Superboy" was doing well in the ratings and was renewed for a fifth and sixth season, in early 1992. "Superman V" was being written by Ilya Salkind and Cary Bates, with Christopher Reeve attached to star and had even gone on "Live With Regis And Kathie Lee", in 1991 to promote his current film and talked about the new Superman film. Warner Brothers took back the film and television rights to Superman, after seeing how profitable Batman was, when they were running things directly and thus having a larger piece of the merchandising and box office. "The Adventures Of Superboy" was cancelled and "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures Of Superman" was put into production and Jon Peters was given the task of reviving Superman on the big screen in 1993.

4. In 1990, the Superman creative team met to discuss the next six months worth of storylines. During this meeting, "Krisis Of The Krimson Kryptonite" was proposed and would feature Clark proposing to Lois and her turning him down at the end of the arc. Writer/artist Jerry Ordway was to write the concluding chapter, where the relationship would end. But as he sat down to write it, he determined that Lois should say yes instead of no. After discussing it with the rest of the team and getting approval from editorial, the story was changed. In 1992, the wedding was on track to occur in either Superman #75, or The Adventures Of Superman #500. Then they received word from high up that the storyline was to be put on hiatus, because the brass wanted the marriage to occur at the same time in the comics, as it did with the show. A running joke made during the summits over the years, was to kill Superman off. This time, it was approved with the intention of making it temporary. In fact, it was even stated publicly in September of 1992, that Superman would be brought back in May. Unintentionally, the book wound up selling like hotcakes because of the speculator market, which had been fueled by Marvel's actions with Spider-Man #1 and X-Men #1, the previous two years. DC did take advantage with reprints, but that was not their goal from the outset.

5. Marvel, meanwhile, continued to make bad decisions such as creating their own distribution service which hurt the market more than help it. As well as writing poor stories which turned off fans and caused their sales to slide further. "Heroes Reborn" had been the final straw and that's what led to the bankruptcy. Only after Toy Biz won the right to purchase Marvel and got the creditors to work with them on bring the company back up, were they able to regain their standing.

6. Superman, meanwhile, continued to have strong sales after his resurrection and "Lois & Clark" had good ratings until a bad story arc in season three, brought the ratings down. Along with the return of "The Simpsons" to Sunday nights, going head to head and killing them in the ratings. Meanwhile, Jon Peters was hiring the wrong people to write an adaptation of "The Death Of Superman", which kept resulting in various delays and false starts, racking up a large amount of debt. "Superman: The Animated Series" debuted on the WB Network and did well in the ratings.

I stopped reading before then, because I couldn't afford it. When I could afford it again, I chose not to return because of that decision. The character was still recognizable as Spider-Man, because nothing had changed except that he and MJ lived together, as husband and wife. Their marriage wasn't perfect, much like his single life had been. Sales on the books had been very good, only dropping when stunts like "The Clone Saga" and "Chapter One" were done. Fans had no problem with the former until they pulled the DNA test that made Peter a clone and Ben the real deal, just to get away from the marriage. That's why sales had tanked on the books.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Got The Star Wars #1. Fun!

8. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Lying Cat needs its own Eisner Award. Best cat in comics or something similar.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Best Cat - Ongoing
    Best Cat - Short Work or Graphic Novel

Jedi Ben and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
  11. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Anyone reading East of West?

12. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I read the first issue. I may or may not eventually read some more.

13. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Kind if difficult reading month to month, I'd reccomend all at once. The story is pretty difficult to place, I still don't know what its about, yes the horseman and apocalypse but still.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Read and really enjoyed the first trade, but I think it's probably better read in that format.

15. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    WHOA

just like completely WHOA

Knightfall is easily the most entertaining comics ever because seriously have you read that? HE IS POWERED BY JESUS TO KILL PEOPLE.

16. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    You have your comic fetishes, I see.

Penguinator likes this.
  17. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    It is an arc that warms my heart because of how silly it is.

Is anyone else reading Waid's Daredevil?

18. Hello_Fett

Hello_Fett Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2013
    So, last week my boyfriend and I were leaving to go to dinner with my parents. When we got in my car, I picked up some trash from the floor and (politely) asked my bf to take it over to the dumpster. Begrudgingly he walked over and I drove the car to pick him up. As I got close he yelled at me to quickly get his keys and open his car, and then grabbed a large box from the dumpster. He tells me its full of comics and we go onto to dinner. When we get home we begin the process of going through the box and beginning to catalog them...
    [​IMG]
    We got everything from 1978 in great condition to 1998. Tons of Marvel, DC, and some random publishers.

I also got myself something I'm particularly fond of:
    [​IMG]

So, anyway... if someone is looking for anything to add to their collection or has any info, I can let you know when it's all completely cataloged.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  19. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I had that Deadpool comic, and that complete mini-series as well, back in my Marvel fanboy comic reading days.

20. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Yes, and it deserves every bit of praise that it gets.

21. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

You are definitely a lucky person to have found a whole box like that. Whoever tossed that out must have really been ticked off, or completely indifferent. If it's the latter, it has to be because someone was forced to leave their apartment and their possessions behind. Otherwise, the owner would have taken that box to the nearest comic shop, sold it on E-Bay or take it to Half-Price Books. I'm curious as to what you have in there.

23. Hello_Fett

Oct 11, 2013

There was a note in the box that said $1 each on it, so either no luck selling them, or planned to sell them and like you said got kicked out of their apartment.

Anyway I have only gotten Marvel cataloged so far, which is the bulk of it, but still more to write up and sorry they are just in the order we pulled out of the box.....

Title Publisher Issue Year
    Excalibur Marvel 54 Sept 1992
    Marvel Tales Featuring Classic Spider-Man Marvel 224 June 1989
    Blaze Legacy of Blood: 4 of 4 Marvel 4 Mar 1994
    The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix Marvel 2 June 1994
    The West Coast Avengers Marvel 16 Jan 1986
    The Spectacular Spider-Man Marvel 153 Aug 1989
    Venom: The Madness Part 3 of 3 Marvel 3 Jan 1993
    Marvel Team-Up Spider-Man and the Human Torch Marvel 147 Nov 1984
    Web of Spiderman Marvel 113 Jun 1994
    Iceman Marvel 4 June 1985
    Spider-Man 2099 Marvel 1 Nov 1992
    Bishop Marvel 2 Jan 1995
    The Thing Marvel 33 Mar 1985
    The Thing Marvel 29 Nov 1985
    X-Calibre Marvel 2 June 1995
    Fantastic Four Marvel 366 July 1992
    Marvel Masterpieces Collection Marvel 4 Aug 1993
    Spider-Man 2099 Marvel 6 Apr 1993
    The Thing Marvel 24 Jun 1985
    The Thing Marvel 25 July 1985
    Marc Spector: Moon Knight Marvel 21 Dec 1990
    The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Marvel 17 Aug 1987
    Marvel Masterpieces Collection Marvel 2 June 1993
    ROM Marvel 16 Mar 1981
    What If? Marvel 110 July 1998
    Spider-Man and X Factor Shadowgames Marvel 3 July 1994
    What The -? Marvel 4 Nov 1988
    The West Coast Avengers Marvel 19 Apr 1987
    The West Coast Avengers Marvel 18 Mar 1987
    Marvel Milestone Edition: Amazing Spider-Man Marvel 1 1993
    Spider-Man Collectors' Preview Marvel 1 1994
    Web of Spiderman Marvel 9 1993
    Venom: The Madness Part 1 of 3 Marvel 1 Nov 1993
    Wolverine Marvel 79 Mar 1993
    Bishop Marvel 4 Mar 1995
    The West Coast Avengers Marvel 6 Mar 1986
    Uncanny X-Men Marvel 315 Aug 1994
    Dazzler Marvel 2 Apr 1981
    Venom Carnage Unleashed Marvel 1 apr 1995
    Web of Spiderman Marvel 8 1992
    The West Coast Avengers Marvel 14 Nov 1986
    The Spectacular Spider-Man Marvel 214 Jul 1994
    The West Coast Avengers Marvel 8 May 1986
    Ghost Rider 2099 Marvel 7 Nov 1994
    QuestProbe Marvel 3 Nov 1985
    Saga of the Original Human Torch Marvel 4 July 1990
    Bishop Marvel 1 Dec 1994
    Marvel Holiday Special Marvel 1 1994
    The Thing Marvel 30 Dec 1985
    Saga of the Original Human Torch Marvel 3 Jun 1990
    Ghost Rider 2099 Marvel 9 Jan 1995
    X-Man Marvel 19 Sept 1996
    The Spectacular Spider-Man Marvel 178 July 1991
    Web of Spiderman Marvel 120 Jan 1995
    What If? Marvel 42 Oct 1992
    The West Coast Avengers Marvel 5 Feb 1986
    Hulk 2099 Marvel 1 Dec 1994
    What If? Marvel 19 Feb 1980
    What If? Marvel 71 March 1995
    The Invaders Marvel 3 July 1993
    Cable Marvel 20 Feb 1995
    Wolverine/Gambit: Victims Marvel 1 Sept 1995
    The Thing Marvel 28 Oct 1985
    The Thing Marvel 27 Sept 1985
    Venom: The Madness Marvel 2 Dec 1993
    What If? Marvel 35 Mar 1992
    ROM Marvel 65 Apr 1985
    Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. Marvel 1 apr 1995
    Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man Marvel 264 Aug 1992
    The West Coast Avengers Marvel 20 May 1987
    Spider-Man: Friends & Enemies Marvel 3 Mar 1995
    What If? Marvel 47 Mar 1993
    Power Pack Marvel 6 Jan 1985
    Power Pack Marvel 12 July 1985
    The Spectacular Spider-Man Marvel 178 July 1991
    Spider-Man Classics Marvel 6 Sept 1993
    Spider-Man Classics Marvel 8 Nov 1993
    Spider-Man Classics Marvel 15 Jun 1994
    Spider-Man Classics Marvel 5 Aug 1993
    Spider-Man Marvel 24 July 1992
    Hawkeye Marvel 3 Mar 1994
    Marvel Tales Starring Spider-Man Marvel 199 May 1987
    ROM Marvel 55 June 1984
    Secret Defenders Marvel 8 Oct 1993
    Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Marvel 13 Feb 1984
    The Thing Marvel 34 Apr 1986
    The Thing Marvel 35 May 1986
    The Thing Marvel 36 June 1986
    ROM Marvel 44 July 1983
    ROM Marvel 54 May 1984
    Captain America Marvel 6 June 1998
    Fantastic Four Marvel 367 Aug 1992
    Captain America Marvel 224 Aug 1978
    The West Coast Avengers Marvel 26 Nov 1987
    Marvel Milestone Edition: Amazing Spider-Man Marvel 3 1995
    Wolverine Marvel 87 Nov 1994
    Excalibur Marvel 53 Aug 1992
    Fantastic Four Marvel 380 Sep 1993
    What The -? Marvel 14 Sep 1991
    Fantastic Four Marvel 2 Dec 1994
    X-Force Marvel 43 Feb 1995
    What The -? Marvel 16 Jan 1992
    Hulk 2099 Marvel 2 Jan 1995
    Ghost Rider 2099 Marvel 6 Oct 1994
    The West Coast Avengers Marvel 10 July 1986
    What The -? Marvel 21 Sept 1992
    Spider-Man: The Mutant Agenda Marvel 3 May 1994
    Fantastic Four Marvel 368 Sept 1992
    Spider-Man and X Factor Shadowgames Marvel 2 June 1994
    The Ren & Stimpy Show Marvel 18 May 1994
    Spider-Man 2099 Marvel 9 July 1993
    Marvel Action Hour feat. Fantastic Four Marvel 2 Dec 1994
    The Ren & Stimpy Show Marvel 23 Oct 1994
    QuestProbe Marvel 2 Jan 1985
    The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Marvel 1 Dec 1985
    The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Marvel 8 Aug 1984
    ROM Spaceknight Marvel 57 Aug 1984
    ROM Marvel 56 July 1984
    Cable- Blood and Metal Marvel 1 Oct 1992
    The 'NAM Marvel 1 Dec 1986
    The Spectacular Spider-Man Marvel 208 Jan 1994
    The Spectacular Spider-Man Marvel 182 Nov 1991
    Marvel Tales Starring Spider-Man Marvel 213 Jul 1988
    Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man Marvel 276 Aug 1993
    Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man Marvel 280 Dec 1993
    Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man Marvel 278 Oct 1993
    Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man Marvel 279 Nov 1993
    Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man Marvel 277 Sept 1993
    Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man Marvel 282 Feb 1993
    Marvel Tales Featuring Classic Spider-Man Marvel 224 June 1989
    Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man and Ghost rider Marvel 255 Nov 1991
    Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man Marvel 275 Jul 1993
    What if… Marvel 34 Feb 1992
    Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man Marvel 283 Mar 1994
    Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man Marvel 281 Jan 1993
    Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man Marvel 270 Feb 1992
    Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man Marvel 269 Jan 1992
    Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man Marvel 226 Aug 1989
    Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man Marvel 274 Jun 1993
    Marvel Tales Featuring Spider-Man Marvel 256 Dec 1991
    The West Coast Avengers: Giant-Sized Annual Marvel 2 1987
    Morbius: The Living Vampire Marvel 3 Nov 1992
    The Thing Marvel 19 Jan 1985
    The Thing Marvel 18 Dec 1984
    The Thing Marvel 20 Feb 1985
    The West Coast Avengers Marvel 2 Nov 1985
    Fantastic Four Marvel 369 Oct 1992
    Marvel Milestone Edition: Incredible Hulk Marvel 1 1991
    The Thing Marvel 21 Mar 1985
    The Thing Marvel 22 apr 1985
    The Thing Marvel 23 May 1985
    The Thing Marvel 17 Nov 1984
    The Thing Marvel 14 Aug 1984
    The Thing Marvel 16 Oct 1984
    The Thing Marvel 13 July 1984
    The Thing Marvel 12 June 1984
    The Thing Marvel 10 Apr 1984
    The Thing Marvel 4 Oct 1983
    The Thing Marvel 2 Aug 1983
    The Nam Marvel 3 Feb 1987
    X-Men 2099 Marvel 2 Nov 1993
    Cable Marvel 18 Dec 1994
    Strikeforce: Morituri Marvel 1 Dec 1986
    ROM Annual Marvel 1 1982
    Cloak and Dagger Marvel 17 Apr 1991
    Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel 27 Aug 1992
    Web of Spider-Man Annual Marvel 6 1990
    Web of Spider-Man Marvel 66 July 1990
    Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel 28 Sept 1992
    The Vision AND the Scarlet Witch Marvel 2 Nov 1985

24. Hello_Fett

Oct 11, 2013
    ugh.... that did not hold the editing at all.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Good effort. Most of that I either have, or don't want. But a few aren't in my collection. I'll go over it in more detail and let you know.