Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. KissMeImARebel Force Ghost

star 4
    Always here for Quicksilver.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
  3. Frank T. Force Ghost

star 6
    You should definitely check out Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.
  4. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    I've always meant to read Alan Moore's stuff.
  5. Frank T. Force Ghost

star 6
    Moore's superhero stuff is probably not the best to start with.
  6. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
  7. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    How so?
  8. Frank T. Force Ghost

star 6
    A lot of it is about the end of superheroes. It's written for readers who feel the stagnation of the genre. You can appreciate Watchmen better if you've already read superhero comics and become at least a little disgruntled with them.

From Hell is a great graphic novel that has nothing to do with superheroes though.
  9. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    To which I cite "For The Man Who Has Everything", "The Killing Joke", "Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?", "Mortal Clay", "Night Olympics", "The Jungle Line", "Mogo Doesn't Socialize", "Tygers", "In Blackest Night", "Footsteps" and his non DC work, "Supreme". Good stories about superheroes and not all of which is the end of days. Pick up, "DC Universe: The Works Of Alan Moore". Good stuff.
  10. Frank T. Force Ghost

star 6
    You forgot the entire line of America's Best Comics. Promethea is my favorite Alan Moore work. Top Ten, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Tomorrow Stories and Tom Strong.

Swamp Thing is very good too.
  11. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Oh, indeed. But in terms of a good place to start, that's one place to do so. You get through his superheroic tales, then you can go into the more complex ones like Swamp Thing and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
  12. Frank T. Force Ghost

star 6
    Does that collection have the Omega Men shorts?
  13. Kran Starborn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Was thinking of picking up the new 52 Nightwing volumes is that series any good? Anything in the Batman universe to me is always tempting since I love Batman and all the characters and heroes within.
  14. Volderon Force Ghost

star 4
    In my opinion they've butchered Nightwing in the new 52. It's been more of a companion to Batman if that makes sense. But they tried a direction for it and failed and so they're trying something new. But that being said, I don't find it interesting.
  15. Kran Starborn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    So in your opinion you feel like they basically spit in the face of everything about Nightwing pre-52 since in that era he showed how much he can be his own hero and not some companion to Batman which you feel that is how he is in the new 52?
  16. Volderon Force Ghost

star 4
    Well...kind of but not really. Pre 52 he was Batman so he showed character growth and now hes back to Nightwing which is totally fine and I like him as that. But the team that did the new 52 just seemed to be following Snyder on Batman and catering the stories to that instead of following their own trail. And it shows because they did a 180 and now Dick is based in Chicago and not Gotham. I don't want to give too much away in case you read it but thats my opinion.
  17. Penguinator RPF Modinator and Batmanager

Manager
    star 6
    I'd say that's DC editorial using their heavy hand to make everything go in line with Snyder and Capullo, because that's a proven money-maker. Higgins isn't bad, it's just that Nightwing hasn't actually been excellent. They had Higgins on Deathstroke and it was pretty interesting, but there's been so little payoff in everything except flagship Batman, so it all feels a little lacklustre.

EDIT: Also, Snyder is the "showrunner" for the upcoming Bat-family title that's going to reintroduce Stephanie Brown, so I think it's safe to say he's talent that DC is going to bank on forever.
    Last edited by Penguinator, Nov 9, 2013
    Volderon likes this.
  18. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10

Yep. Everything he wrote for DC's main universe, that wasn't part of Swamp Thing and "Watchmen", is in there.
  19. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    I saw the film version of From Hell and was fairly underwhelmed. I know it didn't follow the graphic novel at all. I should probably read it at some point. Don't all of the film versions completely butcher Moore's work except Watchmen?
  20. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    As you say, From Hell is completely off-base, almost shockingly so; V for Vendetta is an odd duck in that it's more a borrowing of motifs and broad ideas in some places and highly accurate in others, so maybe like 50% accurate if I had to give it a number; League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, uh, I guess they certainly had a team-up movie, ugh; and Watchmen got the visuals and plot right while somehow managing to miss the point - though admittedly I'm significantly more vocally unfond of that film than a lot of folks are.

Bottom line: while I think some of the films may or may not be enjoyable on their own (depending on one's preferences), I don't think they provide an accurate representation of his work in any regard.
    Last edited by Ramza, Nov 10, 2013
    JoinTheSchwarz and Frank T. like this.
  21. Kran Starborn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I think I wanna go and get some Batman graphic novels so I am open to suggestions on which real good ones you think I should get? I would list the ones I already own but its kind of a lengthy list so just suggest ones you know of and if I have it I will tell you. But suggestions for some good Batman graphic novels please and thank you?
  22. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    I'm also going to go buy some Batman GN as I've mentioned in the other Batman thread. Yes, we have several Batman threads, but it's the one that's not mine.
  23. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 10
    Yeah, suggestions would be better if you have a bunch that you don't want to list.
  24. Kran Starborn Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    links?
  25. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    They're all in the JCC if you look hard enough.