main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph ***OFFICIAL*** Comics Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, Aug 1, 2007.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    So far, so glorious with new Miracleman.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Hey, Spider-Fan:

[​IMG]

TrandoJedi likes this.
  4. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Death of Wolverine #2.

Lady Deathstrike, Sabertooth, Madripoor, Shadowcat...good times.

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So, needless to say, armed with the awesome legal arm of the largest media corporation in America, Marvel has met with the Kirby family and... settled.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=55819

Yes, this is literally three days before SCOTUS would've accepted or declined to review the case. No word on the terms, but considering a corporate-friendly SCOTUS and the previous rulings this is pretty goddamn surprising.

7. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    One of two things come to mind.

1. Either Marvel realized that it was possible that they could be over turned.

2. They decided to settle in light of all the recent successes they've gained in the world of cinema, that it would be prudent to settle in order to make themselves look good.

8. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I can't imagine they were too concerned with public relations. Spielberg and countless others have been sued over similar things and the public at large doesn't even blink.

9. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I recently read Hawkeye by Fraction and Aja. Man that Hawkguy is good stuff.

If you haven't read it yet...is good bro, very good bro.

Bro.

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It is also great at boats.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    For anyone who is inclined to buy the first OHC of Hawkeye, don't bother. Marvel are releasing an Omnibus of the entire run for about 3-4 times the price next year - $99.

12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Thor #1 is awesome.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  13. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    So Batman is going up to $4.99 for the Endgame arc. But we all know it'll probably stay.

DC Holding The Line at WHO-GIVES-A-CRAP.99

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They haven't been holding the line since before the New 52.

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I have read Image Comics Low 1-3. The female lead has lost her husband and 2 of 3 kids were kidnapped ten years prior while the 3rd is suicidal. Their undersea civilization is literally dying so she embarks to the Earth's surface to try and save it. I guess you could call the artwork beautiful scetching.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    So they killed off Wolverine by basically turning him into an adamantium statue. Wonderful Marvel, really.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Blacksad: Amarillo

This is just over 50 pages of perfect art and writing in a high quality hardback edition! It's utterly superb, the story and visuals reel you in, it rolls along, it builds to a finale... And then you want the next one!

18. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I've been loving Spider-Verse, and looking forward to seeing where Thor is going to go. I'm far behind in the Bendis X-Men and Hickman's Avengers stuff....I'll catch up eventually!

19. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    So for Halloween I am finally reading From Hell.

Loving it although the last chapter I finished was the same Alan M. conceit he pulled with Promethea (sp?)...

"Hey, you're reading my book. Let me take a whole chapter/issue and just beat you over the head with my occult mumbo jumbo fascination. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz"

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You're kind of hosed, From Hell always struck me as being primarily about the occult stuff. It is great fun to read it again along with the annotations, though, since it's at least well-researched occult mumbo jumbo.

21. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    I actually don't mind that it's there and it's fun to Google the odd bits I don't know.
    I even have a mild interest in a lot of it.

It just needs to be in the service of the tale. When he flat out stops the story to basically brain dump all this stuff at you, that's too much. There was only one issue in Promethea like that and I'm guessing he's now got it out of his system here (hope anyway).

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh, are you talking about the chapter with the obelisk, etc.? That all ends up being fairly relevant, although yeah, it's definitely just an info dump.

23. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Yes. Well that's good. I was really digging all that before then.

24. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Recently read Arkham Manor. Very good start. Lets just say the nut has finally joined the nut house. Liked the art.

Also read....

Transformers vs GI JOE issue 3: If your not reading this series you should. Don't even have to be a fan of either franchise. Its a TF vs GIJ comic inspired by the 60's/80's comics of old, with an art style akin to Jack Kirby. Pure, classic, comic book fun with an added pinch of crazy. Arts not for everyone, but if you read a TF or GI JOE comic from the 80's you'd feel right at home. Anyway, great issue.

BATMAN 34: Bout as pleased with Snyders Batman since the next to last issue of "Death of the Family." Snyder is long winded, gets very little story on the page, and has a nack for those God @#$^ huge monalogues. No long word bubbles this time, just a big fight with the Justice League that's done very well. Pretty much all that happens, with the added twist at the end. You only get 25% of story, but it was good. Backup story I found much better, where a bunch of crazies start giving their wild ideas of how the Joker came to be. I felt he gave Joker way to much of an offical origin with Zero Year(only read first arc), and was really annoyed with that. Perhaps not worth the 5 dollars. Do have big hopes for this story arc though. Loved Snyders work in BLACK MIRROR and what I read of "Court of Owls." Liked most of DOTF, until the last issue where he pulled a very nice representation of Stan Lees allusion of change. Felt like a waste of time, over hyped, and a story that could have been done in 2 issues.

Wytches: Now this Snyder story was pretty damn good. He seems more at ease with his own work than he is with the Batman. Some nice horror moments in the story, and left me wanting more.

Last issue of Starlight: Millars very hit or miss, but he did good here. Very good. Can't say the story was Epic. Made to be, but its a very small affair. However for a man who's know for his over the top violence, he really stuck the character work here. Duke was a great character, and his story had me chocked up a little here and there. Side characters and villains were a little thin, pacing was off, but over all a very good story about an Old Warrior returning for one more fight. Well done. Worth a read.

Next up: TRANSFORMERS: MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE 34. Best Transformers comic on the stands, and probably one of the best Sy-fy comics on the stands. Don't have to be a fan to love what James Roberts has done with these characters and ideas. Think of MTMTE as Star Trek, Dr. Who, and Lost all roled into one story.

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If by inspired by 80's comics, then you must mean the worst of it because this is as lousy as it gets. And Kirby style? The man's rolling around in his grave at the thought.