main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Costuming & Props Social Thread

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Sister_Sola, Oct 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Never heard of it, so nope. Not here. :p

I'm away from home for the entire summer and I miss my sewing machine... *sniff* :_| As soon as I return, I'm diving head first into fabric, thread, embroidery thread and hoops, and patterns all over the place. :D :p

~Spacelady

2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I love Project Runway, only problem is of course that well it takes time for it to get here. I think the first two seasons were quite popular though, so I'm hoping they will buy the third series as well. They used the first two seasons as filler ups, simply put them on when they needed to fill the time slot between 19 and 20 between larger series. The good thing with that is that you don't have to wait more than a day for the next show, the bad thing is of course that it's hard to be able to see all the programs.

3. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    JULY 12!!!!!! :D :D :D I can hardly wait hehe, LOVE that show :). I was thinking how funny would it be to have a PR styled contest between the SW costumers here LOL. I say open the thread flood gates for PR :D

4. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    I also love Project Runway and support the idea for a PR thread! I missed the last episode of season two though...I totally forgot about it. I managed to catch the end where they decided who won but I completely missed seeing all the outfits.

5. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I love project runway! I love the projects that are like ... here are some plants, make an entire outfit. That kills me! Can't wait for the new season! :)

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Yay! I knew there had to be other PR fans here and so we might as well have a thread where we can talk about it together. :)

I'll put it together in the next day or so and post it so we can talk about the first two seasons and get ready for the third. We'll "Make it work". :p

7. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    I stayed home sick today from Work because I'm dizzy, light-headed, and naseaus, so what do I decide to do... organize my new sewing room (I must be nuts). My room-mate, Anu, moved out; so now I have a dedicated sewing room to trash instead of the rest of the house lol. All though, it also has to double as a guest room (darn bed, gets in the way).

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmmmm....those were all symptoms I had when I found out I was preggers. :p

Gosh, having a whole room to turn into a sewing room is fabulous! I partially lost mine when we had to convert it into a guestroom because the previous guestroom became the nursery. And, yeah, the stupid bed totally gets in the way of my sewing mess now!

I hope you feel better sweetie! :)

9. Cailina

Mar 18, 1999
    All though, it also has to double as a guest room (darn bed, gets in the way).

I took the larger bedroom in my two-bedroom apartment so it doubles as a study as well(we have two computer desks in there against one of the walls). Because of the space issue I sleep on a Japanese futon like these. It's really nice and comortable but during the day you can fold it up and either put it in a closet or just leave it folded up against a wall. It's not that cheap but I highly recommend it if you have a room that doubles as a guest bedroom since it can be completely out of the way when a guest isn't there. Although I guess some guests might be reluctant to sleep on a less normal bed...I think it is really comfortable though.

10. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    Eep! Don't say that [face_worried]. It was a concern I had, but I'll know in a few days. Hopefully I'm not, we're not financially stable to raise a child yet [face_plain]. I'm still slightly woozy, but I can go to work today at least :).

:: crosses fingers for monthly visitor :: never thought I'd actually WANT it LOL. [face_laugh]

All men can continue to ignore my post LOL.

11. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Hey, if we all waited until we were financially stable, well let's say I wouldn't have two wonderful young jedis to take care of. :)

12. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    Luckily, I'm not preggers *whew*.
    As far as the money issue goes... I grew up without it, and I want to make sure my kids won't have to pick up cans to pay for dinner like I had to. I want to be able to provide meals without worry :)

Anyway, I got my sewing room done and its so... NEAT. I can find things without tearing apart the house. I have a cart that rolls with all my notions, I have a devoted sewing table (thanks to Staples) and it can still be used as a guest room :D. However, I'm thinking of installing a board over the bed that folds up when not in use, it would make another table surface that I can cut fabrics on :).

http://imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/mysewingroom

And the must have sew room accessories...
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/mysewingroom/websize/Sewing%20Room%206.JPG]
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/mysewingroom/websize/Sewing%20Room%208.JPG]

CATS! They love the new room and I have a hard time keeping them out lol.

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Your room is looking great Benae. So whatcha gonna sew in there first?

14. Cailina

Mar 18, 1999
    Benae- Your cats are adorable! I can't wait until I move somewhere where I can have cats! At least I moved off campus so I can have some pets.

15. dudeNotAJedi

dudeNotAJedi Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2003
    Hi all. Sorry to skip the convo and go right to the meat and potatoes, but I'm trying to get together an Obi costume for comic con (6 days away) and have most pieces but I need to know if anyone can tell me where to find a covertec clip for the lightsaber on the Q&C (quick & cheap).

16. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    All this talk about Project Runway made me curious about it, so last thursday night my honey and I were watching TV and came across it. I had to see what everyone was talking about... it's so awesome! :p I can't believe that one guy made it on, the one who made the funny hat. Vincent was his name. Oi vey. He should've got kicked off. [face_laugh]\

~Spacelady

17. Jayla_Beta

Jayla_Beta Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2006
    Congratulations Benae. I too am lucky enough to have a room dedicated to sewing and costuming. It makes getting a project sewn from start to finish so much easier. Unfortunately, my organization skills leave a lot to be desired, so I'm always hunting for whatever I need.

Enjoy your space![face_peace]

18. Darth_Bandalak

Darth_Bandalak Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 14, 2006
    I've been making lightsabers for a few years now, from simple PVC pipe (Because it is the perfect size for the final rotoscoped sabre) but recently I drew up some designs of a detatchable, double-bladed lightsaber. I have never been any further than my backyard with the lightsabers themselves, only to shoot short movies with a crappy 2-in-1-camera, and I recently decided I was going to design a full-body costume. Soon, I'm going to be relocating to (from what I've noticed so far) a completely unknown little town in the middle (West coast) of Florida called Homosassa (seriously). Also, I've never been to any cons or anything, but I was wondering if anyone has ever seen anyone at a con in a custom costume. I've got a complete body layout of my game, fanfic, and graphic novel character, Darth Bandalak and would definately want to get my hands on some pro knowledge!

(Sorry about length of message)

19. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    Welcome to the costuming corner of the universe :) I've been to many cons and there are always a lot of custom costumes around. I presume what you are doing is a Dark Jedi/Sith costume? Check out the Complete Jedi Costume Guide for tips on what to include in your costume. You don't need everything, but it's a good resource to use. Do you have a sketch of your costume? You should show it in the Sith and Dark Side Users Thread.

Since you are FL, you should see if you can get to Atlanta, GA for Dragon Con (Labor Day Weekend). There is a thread on here for this year's Dragon Con as well :) A lot of people from this board go there (I've been and it's a GREAT time to be had).

FL also has Mega Con. I've never been to that one, but I know people who have gone and had a great time there.

I'm sure there are more conventions and things around, but you should check out your local Fan Force chapter to see what and where they are.

20. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    Awesome.... Actually, I'm in Dallas right now... Georgia. I used to live in Atlanta, but... my mom likes quiet, away-from-the-world places. I despise that about her....

I'm not sure when I'll be starting the robes right now. I'm working on how to get the mask made....
    Anyone that can help with that?
    I was thinking fiberglass, my dad works with it (He builds/customizes/repairs boats). But I'm not sure how to make any kind of mold of the mask itself.
    I was thinking clay (Beginner/teen/budget), but I'm more than 100% sure there's something better to use. It's just that clay is the only thing I could think of (My aunt's an "artist" and stocks up on clay) but I would rather use something that's easier to work with and that doesn't have to be so bulky.
    Any help would be appreciated!

21. Darth_Bandalak

Aug 14, 2006
    That link is a lot more help than I imagined! Thanks!

22. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm a bit bored today so I've been looking through old photos to see the different things I've sown. I realised that quite a lot of it is ball gowns, with more or less SW influences. Well I've decided to put the ones I have photos on in this photo album I'm missing my gowns from the autumns 2003 and 2004, mainly because I didn't have a digital camera and I have no photos scanned from those two occasions. If you wonder why I have so many ball gowns it's because where I study there is at least two big balls each year, and inbetween a couple of dinners that require formal wear. I try to make at least one new gown each spring and autumn, and inbetween I combine bodices and skirts to different combinations.

23. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    I was watching TV last night and was working on a little something...

[image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/skirts/websize/Skirts%20003.jpg]
    A fun circle skirt made from a vintage SW bed sheet. I centered the Star Wars logo on the yoke, it will eventually be embellished with red sequins. I'm going to add red sparkly puffy paint to the logos on the skirt body as well (the outline). It's jsut a fun little skirt to wear to cons and events where I don't want to get in costume :D

And my Padme Picnic Inspired Skirt is coming along...
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/costumes/skirts/large/Skirts%20001.jpg]
    Ignore my very sunburnt legs lol [face_blush] .

24. lecourtisane

lecourtisane Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 2006
    Hi!

I'm new here. Well, technically, I've been lurking for a while, but I thought it was time that I finally signed up for an account. :)

I made a Jedi Padawan costume for my youngest brother last year. Now, I'm working on Dorme's Goodbye Gown from EP2 for me.

I just thought I'd say hi, so... hi!

I'm Nikki, BTW.

25. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    BQ, that's some great skirts. I feel inspired to look up my old scraps and see if it's enough to make a SW-themed skirt out of some of them.

And very welcome to the forum lecourtisane. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.