main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Costuming & Props Social Thread

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Sister_Sola, Oct 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Welcome Nikki :)

Benae, I heart the vintage sheet skirt! I don't think I've ever seen that sheet print before. Awesome!

I've heard through the grapevine that Sola won best OT female at the Dragon*Con SW costume contest and that kay_dee's newest Padmé costume, the cut family scene one from AOTC, is perfectly beautiful on her! I can't wait to see their pics! :D

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's great for Sola! I think she is supposed to be back tomorrow..

3. luminousbeing78

luminousbeing78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 2005
    The costume contest was everything I'd hoped...so many beautiful gowns!!! It was so much fun to finally get to wear my lake gown (although I carried the train 90% of the time). Kay Dee, I drooled over your Padme 'cut scene' dress the rest of the con!! I hope you will post a tutorial. And pictures!!! My husband did get some, but he ran out of film....:oops: It was lovely to finally meet so many of you guys. Now there's so much to be done with all this inspiration!
    ---Ashlee

4. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    So... anyone have their Halloween Costumes made so far? :p

~Spacelady

5. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I bought my fabric on ebay today :) I have my wig and Jewelry already too :D

Appletini

No SW costume this year, I wanted something original and unique ;)

6. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    *waves hand in air* memememememe!

No parties for me yet. I'm just dressing up to hand out candy to the kids. I'm recycling some of my ren faire clothing. Wench stuff, but instead of the more appropriately coloured top skirt, I made one in bright orange just for that night. lol

7. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Very interesting, Benae. :p I like the wig. :D

No parties for me yet. I'm just dressing up to hand out candy to the kids. I'm recycling some of my ren faire clothing. Wench stuff, but instead of the more appropriately coloured top skirt, I made one in bright orange just for that night. lol

Yeah, I understand. I don't have any parties to go to either, but since it is my senior year of high school, why not dress up again. ;) And I'm planning on somehow getting my picnic gown (modified to a shorter skirt and probably a different styled top) finished by then so I can wear it. Odds are against me, but hey, I can try anyway, right? ;) :p

And interesting, three years of high school have been Star Wars costumes, and the first year was Arwen from Lord of the Rings. :p 10th grade was Padme's Green Velvet robe (before the movie came out! :D :p ), 11th was Mara Jade, and more than likely another Star Wars costume this year. hehe :cool: lol

~Spacelady

8. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    Oh halloween..., at the very least I'm going to make a white mage robe! =) I will see where things go from there.

9. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    For our store's Halloween window display, I dressed our dress form up in my Black Padme Corset costume :D. Luckily she's the same size as me, except for her tiny 34" hips (mine are 36") lol.
    [image=http://photos.imageevent.com/benaequee/miscpics/Padme%20Work.jpeg]
    She should be in our window by next Wednesday :).

10. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    ok somewhat randomness

but its star wars and fabric!

Joanns has two prints in!! Both are flannel.. One is pink with a cartoon princess leia on it(SO CUTE!) and the other is blue with Threepio and Artoo on it. Both are amazingly adorable!! I bought 3 yards of the Leia just because i could. Im makin a skirt!! But they are like $6 a yard. Just thought i'd let you all know. Working there soo has its benefits

11. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    aww, those sound cute! They'd make great pajamas!

12. tehlex

tehlex Jedi Youngling

Oct 11, 2006
    hey everyone! i decided to be a jedi for halloween this year (i love the series, but i really know nothing beyond what ive seen in the movies :<). i just thought, if anyone was interested, that id share i found some pretty nice 'female jedi boots' at old navy for sale -- from 40$ to 15$! they look like this and come in that brown, a lighter orange brown and black.

just thought id share; finding female boots was proving to be kind of difficult :)

13. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    Ugh, I haven't been in the mood to sew anything in almost a month now. What can I do to get back into the sewing mood? :p

~Spacelady

14. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    Benae's sewing room
    I especially love that you have a place to lay down when you pull an all nighter, without having to disturb anyone else.

Halloween was kinda quiet around here. Got troopers in the Tournament of Roses Parade on New Year's Day soo feverishly working on other people's costumes...Bikerscout cummerbunds and pouches....after 25 sets, kinda over it. Can't wait to get back to my own stuff, an Imperial Officer's Uniform jacket, Padme's Picnic dress and some Rebel Endor costumes all for C4. I hope to get everything done well in advance of the LA convention so I can relax this trip. I was sewing all night right up until 8:30am the day we left for Dragoncon 06 this year. It really made me tired for the con and there was no time for tweakes if something wasn't exactly right.

Happy Holidays to everyone here.

15. Benae_Quee

Nov 15, 2002
    I've done that 3 times already since having the room lol [face_hypnotized] . Although the room is directly across from the master Bedroom and you can still hear the sewing machine [face_blush]. I can also 'try' and keep the cats out of my fabric this way too - but Pippin has learned how to open the door now [face_plain].

16. spacelady

Mar 16, 2003
    I can also 'try' and keep the cats out of my fabric this way too - but Pippin has learned how to open the door now

Oh yeah, that's happened to me. My kitty, Squishy (well her real name is Scout) has learned how to open my mom's door to her room everytime she freaks out over some little noise outside. That's when my mom learned how useful those gates can be. :p

...this brings up the subject of world domination by the cats again! :eek: :p

~Spacelady

17. DarthSewforus

DarthSewforus Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2006
    Hi,
    I am new to these boards and new to OSCWS, about 3 months now. I am a skilled seamtress, and I am going to get a serger for Christmas. I need to choose between the Brother 1034D and the Singer 14SH654. I am hoping that someone here may be able to give me some insight as to which of these two might be better, and any other helpful info. I am leaning to the Brother right now, but I am still very unsure.

---- Debbi

18. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Welcome to Costuming and Props Debbi!

Please read our Welcome and thread index to familiarize yourself with our forum rules and to see a list of links to popular costume/props threads.

Down towards the bottom of the link index there are a few links under Sewing Machines/Sergers - you might want to check out those threads, and feel free to repost your question there. Happy shopping! :)

19. DarthSewforus

Nov 29, 2006

Do you have any idea about what page these links will be on? There are sooo many pages.
    I have been searching but I do not see anything regarding sergers. I did a search for the word "serger" and did not find anything.

20. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
  21. DarthSewforus

Nov 29, 2006
    I did find those and looked through them. I am not able to reply and post any questions, the topics are locked. Most of the posts are pretty old. Will it be a problem if I start a new topic?

22. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    I have unlocked them. :)

It will be better to use the existing topics than to create a new one, then the information that will be useful for others in the future will be all in one place, and linked from the Thread Index. Thanks! :)

23. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    With the re-release of Star Wars original trilogy and the introduction of many new fans, a lot of newbies will probably be finding their way here. I know that everytime our group gets out for a dress up event, we gather two or three new folks who dive in to this. It's good for us old timers to remember that. The younglings need our direction to the right threads and our anwers should never be taken as redundancy, since they are just discovering what we are deeply involved with and have been for years. I look forward to new talent making the ranks and feeling the joys of Star Wars.

24. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    This is a call for help, so I hope there is someone here who can assist me.

I'm the activity coordinator for the Cub Scout pack in my town and I am hoping that I can get in touch with someone from either (or both) the 501st and/or Rebel Legion. We are having our annual Christmas meeting on Friday and the plan was to have some special guests show up for the kids. Originally those guests were the Marines, to help us with a uniform inspection and to collect toys for the 'Toys for Tots'. Unfortunately I was informed with very short notice via a couple of rude e-mails that the Marines were booked up and could not make it. I'm scrambling to get a last minute substitution for the kids and thought it would be great if some Clone or Storm Troopers could make it (keeping with the military theme) to perform the same tasks.
    I understand that this is extremely short notice and I'm sorry for ranting. If anyone here is a member of either group, or knows someone who is, could you please let me know if you can help us out.
    I live in Dracut, Mass. which is in the Middlesex County of Northern Massachusetts. Again... any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

25. gracefuljedi

gracefuljedi Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2005
    where can i get some good jedi boots anakin style any dark brownish kind that fits up to your calves

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.