main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Costuming & Props Social Thread

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Sister_Sola, Oct 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    I'm going home on winter break soon and plan on going to the NYC fabric district while I'm there. I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on where to go and specific shops to go to. I know in general where the fabric district is supposed to be but when I went last year all I was able to find was a couple of fabric stores and a few trim stores. My parents live in central New Jersey so I could also go to the Philadelphia fabric district, if anyone has suggestions for that area that would be appreciated too. I probably won't have time to go to both though.

2. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    Try Motor City Cowboy They aren't cheap, but theya re good.

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I haven't had much time to do any sewing for myself this year, but I did make a padawan outfit for my nephew as a christmas gift.

[image=http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d103/bandykullan/creations/P1010017.jpg]

It's a play costume, so I didn't concentrate on accuracy, but at least it's better than the Rubies costume that one of his friends owns. Also he should have a t-shirt instead of the shirt under the tunic, but he managed to get it dirty quite fast so it was in the washer when I got the chance to take the photo.

4. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    He looks so cute :) Great Job.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

5. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    Happy New Year. This one is starting off interesting. Currently unemployed so I have been doing costume work for the Pathfinders since before Christmas. It helps ends meet and allows me to do something I love, make quaility costumes for Star Wars fans. They aren't all elaborate like Amadala's beautiful gowns and accessories, but they all have to be consistent and sized for many different body types. I still want to work on my stuff for C4, but this is a labor of love for the guys and girls of the 501st and for all things Star Wars. Plus I get to meet these people, many of them at C4 or Dragoncon this year. If I could only get to work directly for GL then my life would be complete.

6. scaredycats

scaredycats Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2007
    hey all

I'm new to this forum.
    here's alittle about my self I live in kitchener ontario Canada, I am 30 years old I have 2 kids and own my own costume store. I am tring to be the halloween queen here..... anyway I love to sew that is my happy place...but my second love is movies.....I have this need to know as much as I can about good movies, I listen to comintaries and love to watch behind the sceans stuff. as well of course learning all the costumeing tricks and how the costumes and makeup where done.

as far as starwars costumes go all 6 movies are a treasure trove of great costumes. my altimate dream in life is to be involved in costumeing a great movie like starwars or pirates or some other great sci-fi movie or show.

sorry I have babbled on long enough, I should go get some work done

MEG
    www.scaredycats.ca

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Welcome to the forum! :)

Ohhh, I'm a bit annoyed. I planned to start making a musling for a blouse from a pattern from 1520. It's supposed to have a lot of pleats, and now I can't find my box with pins anywhere. I have probably forgotten them somewhere. So I have to wait until another day to start on it, since I don't feel like pleating without a good supply of pins around.

8. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I hate losing things. [face_plain] I never can find where I set my scissors down everytime I need them. :p

I always keep my pins in a small storage bin, which is a lot easier to pull the pins from. :p

~Spacelady

9. scaredycats

scaredycats Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2007
    I have that problem all the time I always have about 3 pairs of sissors 2 pin cousions and a little container of pins 3 rippers and one cutter beside my sewing mashine at all times,

but I still go through them quickly and buy the 2nd day of a project I have to go looking for something.

so I am in the process of making myself a tool belt- well it's more of a strap because a belt would not work when you are sitting......... so I have made it over the shoulder and all my frequently used sewing tools are right there on my chest where I can access them quick. it also works when I am cutting patterns since I am standing when I do this.

I get people chuckling at me when I am cutting patterns because I have my big cutters holsterd on my hip and I will always give it a few spins on my finger before I holster it.

10. Annya_Latoure2

Nov 15, 2003
    My problem with keeping up with my supplies is keeping my mate out of them. He has a terrible habit of using tools and things and leaving them lie where ever. Then I have to play Sherlock Holmes to find them. What's even worse is that he'll use something of his then have a fit because he can't find it and he's sure I moved them....but sure enough, it rights where he left it under one pile or another. HE tends to work on 3 or 4 projects at a time and we end up battling over the dinning table because it's the only big enough and high enough surface for me to do my cutting and him to work on his boot projects. I try to always put my stuff away as I finish for the night with it. I guess I am kind of OCD about putting my things back where they belong, but it's a necessary evil because my memory isn't what it used to be. Putting things back in the same place is the only way I keep from losing my supplies and my mind. It rough getting older sometimes. o_O

11. JediKnightGareth

JediKnightGareth Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 21, 2005
    http://www.skylighter.com/mall/special_effects.asp

I have been concidering adding some pinache for a Black Mage costume I'm working on, and wondered if any of the Fett costumers had tried any of the products listed above or if they have any recomentations? I tried searching the board but for some reason the search function is not liking me.
    I would have posted a new thread, but didn't want to be repetative or violate any advertising rules.

12. flluzrylu

flluzrylu Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2005
    flluz rylu here

I would like to start on my jedi costume some time next month

I just need the top part, tobard, obi, brown or blue robe, and tunic

13. ur_father_luke

ur_father_luke Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2007
    I just found this site that has all the deluxe starwars costumes, props, and basically everything else you can think of at the best prices. I just ordered the deluxe vader costume since my old one ruined and the yoda mask. If anyone is interested the site is Costume Maniacs. If anyone knows of a place cheaper than this let me know because this is the cheapest I've found.

14. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Let's try and keep this thread 'social' as it's intended for, and ask the costume questions in their appropriate threads. Thanks! :)

15. Xath

Xath Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2007
    I'm new here and I have a few questions. Excuse me if this isn't the right place. I've never made a Star Wars costume before, and I've noticed that many of you own several. What do you do with them? I'm making mine for the GenCon costume competition. What other sorts of things are there?

I've noticed you talk about Rubies costumes and Rebel Legion costumes. What are they? What's the difference?

Thanks,

Xath

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Welcome to the forum, Xath. :)

Rubies is the company that currently holds a license from LucasFilm to produce and sell their costumes. Generally speaking, you won't find too many fans of their product around here because their quality and accuracy are lacking.

The Rebel Legion is a organization run by fans who either make or privately commission their SW costumes. The group has guidelines in place for what a costume needs, in terms of accuracy, to be accepted into the Legion. You will find that the Rebel Legion is the place for light side costumes while The 501st for the dark.

As for where everyone wears their costumes...lots of places? :p The 501st, Rebel Legion and Fan Force chapters around the country/world attend/organize charity events to wear their costumes. They can be invited to different events (promotional, charitable, private functions) as well. If you want to get involved you can find a local Fan Force chapter and/or apply to the Rebel Legion/501st. And, of course, we all love to wear our costumes at conventions!

Hope that clears some stuff up. Have fun here!

17. JC214SMILE

JC214SMILE Jedi Youngling

May 5, 2007
    Hi All

I am new, I try the 501st web. all they say is make your own costumes?
    I like make a Star War costumes, but how? Some one say it take $1,000.00 to make a
    speeder biker trooper costume! Can any one help me?

JC e-mail jcvideoco@aol.com

18. Amrita_Glittersong

Amrita_Glittersong Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2007
    Heya, everyone! :) I just finished my Jedi robes yesterday (well, sort of. All the major sewing is done; I just need to rehem the sleeves, add a hook clasp to the obi, add pouches to my belt, and get new boots and pants) and wanted to show it off a bit. :p

Uh, also, I hope this is a right place to put this post. XD

[image=http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f391/Ahavaicons/Random/full3.png]

More pics will just be links. :3

With cloak:
    http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f391/Ahavaicons/Random/tunics1.png

Cloak closed (ignore the overtunic sleeve poking out):
    http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f391/Ahavaicons/Random/cloak.png

Without the cloak (my brother said I had to pose like EPI Obi-Wan for these shots.) :p
    http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f391/Ahavaicons/Random/full2.png
    http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f391/Ahavaicons/Random/tunics2.png

That's all. : D I'm happy with how it turned out and I can't wait to wear it to GenCon Indy. X3 I'm going to braid a bit of my hair to make a Padawan braid, I think, because if I was a Jedi I'd still be a Padawan (barring some odd circumstance) and because it'll be fun to add the accomplishment bands and stuff. XD And yes, I have enough hair for a Padawan braid; it's just all behind me in these pics. XD

19. Lady_Evandar

Lady_Evandar Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2006
    Hi, another new person here
    Love all the costumes ive seen on this thread - i enjoy making them myself but as im a student i do it on a VERY limited budget,so far ive done a vader costume for a charity event,and a general grievous (for another event)
    As im a very short female, im now working on a original jedi costume, should be more realistic- ive got the boots and the material, now i just need to put it together, by hand as usual
    All when i should be working for exams[face_blush]
    Oh, and a Bariss Offee costume last haloween - someone was scared by it for some reason.

20. Sirene

Sirene Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Hi guys,

I'm new to this particular forum as I'm thinking about making a Jedi outfit, so I thought I'd do a bit of looking around. I've done a bit of costuming before, here is a link to the two projects I've done in the past:

Xena Costumes

I know its not Star Wars, but its a start, right?

21. BLPPhatomProductions

BLPPhatomProductions Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2006
    Hey folks,

This is going to sound like a stupid...stupid question...

but how would you go about making a Wookiee head mask and hands? I've done alot of research into how they did it for the films and i keep coming up smelling of something less than roses.

Any ideas would be hot,

SJ - BLP-Phantom Tech Lead

22. Orliaan-Nabberie

Orliaan-Nabberie Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2005
    BLP,

Here's a Chewie site that might be able to help:

http://www.rebellegion.com/chewie/index.htm

Good luck! I imagine a Wookiee costume would be very hard. :p

23. BurntTheMacaroni

BurntTheMacaroni Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    Hey hi how are ya everyone...

I'm going to be.. social... :-D

24. spacelady

spacelady Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Hi, Ashley!! :D Nice to see you being social! :p

~Spacelady

25. ShadaErsari

ShadaErsari Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2003
    Just wanted to introduce myself. I've posted off and on here at TF.N for a few years, but I recently started posting more since I've been wanting to get into this hobby of costuming.

Thanks for being so nice and answering questions! The people here are wonderful for that, and it's so nice to not be turned away or ignore. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.