Official Costuming & Props Social Thread

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Sister_Sola, Oct 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin
  1. Darth_Eagle Jedi Master

star 4
    Will enlarging and elongating etc the diagrams of the commercial pattern and modifying it works?

I remember some people recommended doing it but it's mostly for 12" or similar dolls. Think I heard about this method from Denisa?

So far, I only came across this website showing Dollfie in SW Costumes:
    http://www.celmansion.com/Dolls/star_wars.htm
  2. Master-Jinn Jedi Youngling

Thankx for your reply. It gives me some IDEAS and some pix to work from. Hopefully I will still be able to find a pattern of some kind. *fingers crossed* Force be with You.

3. SoA Jedi Knight

star 3
    After re-watching Episode I last night and falling in love with the costumes all over again, I think I'd like to make a Battle Maiden costume my first Star Wars costume. I was talking to Commander-DWH last night afterwards and I think we're going to play Battle Maidens together at Anime Expo 09. If anyone else wants to join that party, you're more than welcome too.
  4. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Have fun! I eventually want to make a Sabe battle decoy dress. :)
  5. spacelady Jedi Master

star 5
    For the five years that I've been costuming, I'm surprised I haven't attempted a handmaiden outfit yet. :p Though I suppose currently working on my fifth version of the pastel gown makes up for it. [face_laugh]

~Spacelady
  6. Darth_Eagle Jedi Master

star 4
    Heeheee.....never too late to start on one when you're free. ;)

I also should go back to do Ver. 2.0 of my Maroon Handmaiden Cloak one of these days; using REAL Velvet this time and correct pattern(the previous version is Tafetta Velvet lined with Acetate Lining and let's just say I used the wrong pattern for my body shape too so it's straight cut etc :oops:). And still dream of doing the few others I fell in love with from TPM. :p
  7. spacelady Jedi Master

star 5
    As much as I think velvet is beautiful...cutting it = Teh suck. Seriously by the time I was done my floor was covered in blue threads from the fabric. :p But crushed velvet...I'm not even going there. *shudder*
  8. Darth_Eagle Jedi Master

star 4
    And dun forget the part about the correct way to cut the velvet: in 1 direction. ;)

One of my Arwen Gown was "spoiled" cause the seamstress cut 4 of the panels (my gowns have Princess Seams) in the wrong direction. :oops:. Looks "okay" in photos but looked TERRIBLE in real life. I was almost crying when I saw the gown, especially that I paid a lot for its tailoring (she keep increasing the price with each costume made and yet quality declining :rolleyes: ), the velvet cost a bomb and there isn't any more left at the shop to be able to change the wrong panels. :_|
  9. spacelady Jedi Master

star 5
    You have to cut velvet in one direction? Wow I didn't know that. :p Good thing I've only used it once and will probably never use it again. [face_laugh]

And geez, sorry to hear that. That kind of sucks. Some people, huh?

And speaking of some people, a week ago or so, some woman was driving around with her emergency brake on and started nine, that's right, count them. Nine fires before realizing it. Now there are even more fires breaking out and of course a possible thunder storm coming this week. *sigh* But isn't it kind of obvious if your emergency brake is on? *headdesk*

~Spacelady
  10. hyperspace_police Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow... A social thread in the costuming forums...

How the heck did I miss this one?? I could have had a support group for velvet embossing madness... Oh well..

Guess I'll introduce myself...

Hi. I'm BJ. I have a costume addiction but, I'm not looking to get over it... Just to find others who are like minded... It's not limited to Star Wars, though thats where it got started...So, I owe a bit to the GFFA.

I'm from Arkansas (very podunk if you've never been there) from a little town outside of Little Rock (the capital and home of the Clinton Presidention Library) that is not big enough to have a post office.

Lets see... I have all sorts of Star Wars costumes... Cons should really run for 7 days so I could wear them all...

I'm the CR for the Arkansas FanForce and I'm in the 501st, Rebel Legion, and the Jedi Assembly... However, I'm woefully inactive most of the time on those forums... (I'm jeepgirl for 501st and Bee-Jai Morr for RL...Just in case you ever want to say Hi...)

Thats about it.. I'm a professional student (haven't left college since 1992...but, I hold 3 Masters)

Hope to get to know some of you costumers around here... It's always nice to talk to folks who understand the joy of fabric shopping!!!!!!
  11. CarrieAsLeia Jedi Youngling

Wow - I feel the same way, Hyperspece. I just found this thread myselft. I was searching for some pictures of a costume I want to make, and it led me here. It happens to be one of Sister Sola's. Lots of our costumes are non-Star Wars. I see a lot of Disney and other sci-fi.

Sister Sola, are you in California? You are so talented! I want to do some Dr. Who costumes. A PM has more details...
  12. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    Hi Carrie! Sadly no; Cassandra's up in Canadia. :p
  13. SoA Jedi Knight

star 3
    Not quite a month ago I finished my first Star Wars costume: Tatooine Padme. I guess my dye jobs were uniformly lighter. I might dunk it in a vat of dye again sometime. Overall, though, I'm really happy with it.

The next Star Wars project I have my eyes on is Juhani from KOTOR. This will be a huge challenge with all that leather and that head. I'm tossing back and forth between the ideas of makeup or really short fake fur for her stripes.
  14. Master-Jinn Jedi Youngling

I was not able to find an edit function for my previous post so here is the update. I was able to get Jedi vestments made for my Ball Joint Doll. An action figure costume maker in Istanbul Turkey made them for her. He di quite a nice job too. Since I do not believe I have the required number of posts to post pix I will just add the link so any interested party may go and see them. I also purchased a male BJD (Ball Joint Doll) and have modded him to be a young Jedi Knight...Qui-gon Jinn. The link is also posted for those interested. MOD /ADMINS if this is posted in error please let me know and I can move it, or if it violates any rules/regs I guess just delete it, but please let me know. Thankx

Hawke
    http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/masterjinn/Hawke-/hawkebalcony-sm.jpg

Liam aka Qui-gon Jinn
    http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj134/masterjinn/Jedi%20Hawke/5dd6462e.jpg

Comments and criticisms as always welcome.
  15. Takianna Jedi Knight

star 3
    I just wanted to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving (if you celebrate it)!
  16. FenigDurak Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Gawd it's been a LOOOONNNNG time since I've really had any time to explore the costume boards! I've been so busy with a number of shows this season that I've barely had time to think.

Now that I have a few minutes I wanted to pop in and see what everyone has been up to!

Here is a sampling of what I've been working on:
    [image=http://fc58.deviantart.com/fs38/i/2008/332/1/0/Titania_MHC_2008_by_FenigDurak.jpg]
    [image=http://www.nigelcasantini.com/albums/costumes_comedies19oct/IMG_0007.jpg]
    [image=http://www.nigelcasantini.com/albums/costumes_comedies19oct/IMG_0108.jpg]

I'm currently working on a Steampunk Romeo + Juliet for the local private school but once that's done I can finally spend some time working on my remake of the Ep II Senatorial dress! Especially since I've had all the right fabrics sitting in my closet since before Silk Connection discontinued the velvet! :eek:
Moderators: Briannakin
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.