*Official* Customs Thread

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by jango_joe, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. Majik_Monkee Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Well, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I haven't seen any Jedi Knight customs really before, and it's one of my favorite EU aspects of Star Wars.

I open all of my figures - I'm one of those people that likes to handle them and smell the new plastic and all that good stuff (I do keep all the cards in a shoebox). Even off the cards it still looks cool to have a card that goes with them. You captured a good pose for the back of the card screenshots you took too...very nice! I've got to start thinking what I'm going to work on next...it usually depends on what fodder I have that resembles something I want to make...I don't have the excess of figures on hand that I'd like to...
  2. JumpinJax Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Vintage collectors will understand what's custom about this one:
    [image=http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/5839/pdrm0030zf9.jpg]
    [image=http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/9591/pdrm0032nl7.jpg]
    Long time coming, lemme tell ya :D
  3. Majik_Monkee Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Nice work there! I loved my Jedi Luke as a kid, but I was always bummed that his saber was blue and that he didn't seem to hold it very snugly. Even as a kid I thought it was odd that they didn't use the telescoping sabers on the later figures (Bespin and Jedi Luke for example)when they used them on the earliest ones. Very nice work, though...
  4. IncomT65 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Majik_Monkee, very nice Dessan custom there, man! Although the use of the Dug head isn't species accurate, I really dig how original that is! Try and find a lizzard head on any SW figure, right? The colour scheme seems right to me, but I'm not an expert on that, being a tad colourblind and all. Anyway, good to see you back again :cool:

On the reborn: great work as well. You could also experiment with one of Maul's hoods. Don't really know which one, but I've seen it used numerous times.
  5. IncomT65 Jedi Padawan

star 4
  6. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I like that Zombie Vos - good Halloween figure!
  7. IncomT65 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Thanks Les. I saw these Army of Darkness figures at eBay and immediately thought "Zombie Vos" [face_devil] He turned out quite alright and the person I made it for was also quite happy, being a huge Quinlan fan and zombie movies fan!
  8. Blackout Jedi Master

star 4
    *BUMP*

I finally got round to making my custom Yun from Dark Forces 2 at the weekend.

I used Bespin Guard's head, Jedi Luke's body and Eeth Koth's tunic (bottom half, trimmed).
    A head swap, a tunic trim-and-transplant, a spot of gray over the tunic, and a spot of flesh-colour over Luke's gloved hand; and Robert is the brother of one of your parents!

Source images from DF2
    > Finished figure <
    Custom TAC card

Not sure if I'm going to card him yet or not. If I do, I'll make a custom back too, which I'll post up here of course.

He's not perfect, but he makes me smile :)
    Oh yes.

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  9. SithLordKobe Jedi Knight

star 3
    So I want to make a custom Corran Horn figure. I know which figures I want to use (POTF Pilot Luke for the body and helmet and SOTE Dash Rendar for the head) but I do have a couple of questions...

1. What's the preferred method to swapping heads?

2. What sort of paints are best to use?
  10. SithLordKobe Jedi Knight

star 3
  11. Blackout Jedi Master

star 4
    Easiest method of head-swapping I've found is the boil and pop method.
    For paints, use Acrylic-Enamel paints, (not Acrylic, not Enamel - Acrylic Enamel ;) ) with some Testors Dull-Cote paint-on lacquer to take the shine off afterwards.

:)
  12. SithLordKobe Jedi Knight

star 3
  13. SithLordKobe Jedi Knight

star 3
  14. IncomT65 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Yeah, the boil and pop method works perfectly for swapping heads, or limbs.

As for paints, I'd advice you to stay away from enamel (oil-based) paints. The paint doesn't bond well to SW figures and remains tacky..... even after some years!

I use Tamiya and Games Workshop's Citadel range of paints. Both are acrylics (water based paints). Once you have assembled your base Corran figure, clean it with a mild soap, then with clear water. This will clean the figure of production residues like grease and such and other dirt. Give the figure a base coat (black or grey), preferably with a spray paint. Then apply your choices of colour in thin layers. It's better to apply multiple thin layers than one thick layer. And indeed, finish with a coat or two of Testor's Dull Cote.

Anyway, here's another custom I finished recently:

Chiss/Iktotchi Mando front

Chiss/Iktotchi Mando back

Chiss/Iktotchi Mando head shot

This one was made for a Yakface "contest" themed "Cross Breeds".
  15. Blackout Jedi Master

star 4
    That's seriously sweet, but how big would his helmet be? :p

I suppose it's different strokes for different folks, but I found that Citadel's paints didn't take very well (I already had a stack of them from my Warhammer days), and I was going to try straight enamels but heard that they don't dry (as you said). That's when I head about acrylic-enamels, and they do the job fine for me :)
  16. IncomT65 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    This guy has a really thick skull.... no helmet needed :p. Just kidding, as soon as I've gotten better at my sculpting skills, I'll design a helmet for him. Or I'll just wait for Saesee Tiin in his Space Suit :p

Acrylic-enamels, eh? Which brand(s) make those kind of paints then?
  17. Blackout Jedi Master

star 4
    Plaid Apple Barrel :)

Ebat brings them up when you search for "acrylic enamel".
  18. IncomT65 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Apple Barrel? I have a couple of those myself as well. It's just acrylic paint though. I guess the seller(s) add "enamel" to enhance search findings on ebay.

Here's the link to Plaid's website: http://www.plaidonline.com/apAB.asp
  19. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Acrylic enamel is just acrylic paint that dries hard and glossy, from my experience. It's meant to look like traditional high-gloss oil paint/spraypaint, but be waterbased.
  20. Robimus Jedi Master

star 5
    I've had some luck with the Folk Art Acrylic paints they sell in the Walmart crafts section. They chip quite easily without a clear coat of some kind afterwards but I got some results I really liked, though I don't have the patience to make the works of art some folks can do.

I've heard the Tamaya Paints are a bit pricey and find that the testors take forever to dry. Again, my patience problem.
    If your just starting out I'd recommend trying some stuff with the Folk Art paint as they are pretty inexpensive and dry quickly.

I've used the boil and pop method before and I like to boil the plastic to soften it before taking it apart. I like to take apart as much of the figure as I can, paint completely and then reassemble and glue. Be careful with joints, they need to be sanded or the paint can scrape off quite easily.

Here's some of my goodies...I've been into Transformers of late:

http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=4172
  21. IncomT65 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Those Transformers look nice,Robimus. I don't know much anymore about Transformers though.

As for paints, it greatly depends on one's experiences, like you said. I use Games Workshop and Tamiya, the former being quite expensive, but it works wonders for me. I for example can't get the Apple Barrel paints to work well, while Chewie, one of the master customizers, makes the most astonishing paint apps on his figures.

Oh, I have started a website for my customs. Feel free to check out Incom's Customs Conspiracy! [face_batting]

22. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Lucasfilm Ltd Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I like your 'Linet Starbright', Incom. Will that be a gift for Linet when she is old enough?
  23. Robimus Jedi Master

star 5
    Yeah, cool stuff. I like totally original characters. I did a Rodian Bounty Hunter at one point I'll have to dig out of storage. Maybe its the fan fiction writer in me but I always like seeing the new unique type stuff.
  24. IncomT65 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Yeah, I think it will, although I have plans for making another Linet figure too. Maybe in the role of a smuggler. I also want to make a figure for my best friend's little girl, who's a year younger than Linet. She's a very cute half Dutch/half Indonesian little girl and I think she'd be great as a bounty hunter [face_mischief]. She's pretty and she'd be deadly. Pretty deadly, ha!
  25. IncomT65 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Finished a new one a couple of weeks ago. It's a real background character, but he did get to be on the cover of TotJ Dark Lords of the Sith #2. My skills have improved over time and I decided to make the Krath Shocktrooper:

[image=http://album.zoom.nl/user/10119/images/388/4119120/eUSKNH.jpg]

More pics can be seen at Incom's Customs Conspiracy!

Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.