main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Official* Customs Thread

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by jango_joe, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthGeist

DarthGeist Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 3, 2008
    Thought you guys might like this: Best custom I've ever seen (I didn't make it btw, so all credit goes to the guy in this thread:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://a735.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/86/l_2578ac3d8b13541d29c1336ba4f42766.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php%3Fp%3D1222656&h=799&w=600&sz=57&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=RNNzSaizEAWOLM:&tbnh=143&tbnw=107&prev=/images%3Fq%3DMarvel%2BLegends%2BCade%2BSkywalker%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

2. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Looking sharp, as is always the case with Ryan Purvis a.k.a. CollectableKid. Check out his gallery at TheCustomAlliance for more of his superb work!

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Upping the thread for del.

4. del

del Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2008
    Thanks! I'm working on my first Star Wars customs - repainting some droids and some "Legacy"-style Sith. Has anyone made any EU characters using the new Indiana Jones figures? I was thinking about using Mutt as a young Jacen Solo if they ever drop in price. I've been customizing for a while, but mostly Mego and DC Direct style figures. You can check out some of those(well, the ones I've taken the time to upload) using the link in my signature.

5. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    HOBBES!!!! You made HOBBES!!! That rocks. I was so into C&H I even had a cat named Hobbes. I used to cut it out of the paper every day. Awesome.

You should check out the forums at www.thefwoosh.com. Go to the forum page and scroll down to the customizer's workbench section. Lots of cool stuff on there. They even have a "custom-con" where people submit photos of their latest work and they present it in phony convention-style coverage.

6. del

Jul 4, 2008
    ^^I've visited Fwoosh, but never got involved in Custom Con. I just never seem to be able to get enough figures done on time(when I realize they're having one).

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Actually using those Indy figures sounds like a great idea, if they go on a clearance:) I'm still very slowly moving towards doing Pellaeon and Daala from the Jundland Comic two pack. So much I wanna do, so little time :p

8. del

Jul 4, 2008
    I hear ya there. I have a table full of "works in progress," that either I don't have time to do some of the more involved steps or I don't have the money to get the parts I need.

9. del

Jul 4, 2008
    By the way, does anyone have tips on making lightsabers for custom figures? I don't have enough spares for the characters I want to make.

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Brian's Toys used to do replica weapons. If you look on their website maybe you can get a bag of lightsabers for basic figures. (There's a link in the Online Resources thread under 'US'.

11. wraith1701

wraith1701 Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2006
    I've used the little plastic drink swords that are used to garnish drinks... they are available in a hard, translucent plastic in a variety of colors. They are a little bit longer than the 3&3/4" scale sabers, but with the careful application of some sprue-cutters, a hobby knife, and a file, you can make them the right size. And they are cheap- about 5 bucks for a pack of 100.

-Eric

12. del

Jul 4, 2008
    Little plastic drink swords! Brilliant!

Actually, the fact that they are a little longer would give me some room to create different styles...

13. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    If they don't put out a 12" Starkiller soon, I may have to figure out how I'd want to make one.

I just love that first outfit. It's so cool.

14. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
  15. IncomT65

Jul 28, 1999
    Good to put a little spotlight on that cardback project, Wormie, it's quite an achievement :cool:

In September/October the customizing community had a little group project going on, themed "TFU Shaak Ti". Basically everybody works on making the best TFU Shaak Ti they can. Here's my version, loosely based on the conceptual art of her:

[image=http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a295/incomT65/Customs/TFUShaakTi_16a.jpg] [image=http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a295/incomT65/Customs/TFUShaakTi_13_resize.jpg]

16. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Thats excellent!=D=

17. del

Jul 4, 2008
    When customizing characters that have not shown up in comics, movies, etc, what do you use as reference?

18. IncomT65

Jul 28, 1999
    So, you're talking about characters that haven't even been designed yet for any source material? In that case, we call them fan-fic characters. As for reference, I guess your own imagination is the limit. Of course, when designing a Rodian smuggler, for instance, it does help to do some research into the species.

19. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    TheJawa.com has a new feature on their Front Page where every week they spotlight a new custom figure created by one of their members.

20. del

Jul 4, 2008
    No, I mostly mean Expanded Universe characters. I wanted to start customizing some of the characters from the Legacy of the Force novels, like the Solo and Skywalker kids, members of that Jedi Order, etc. Some of them appear on the book covers, but sometimes the details aren't clear, or the pictures are not complete.

21. IncomT65

Jul 28, 1999
    Hmm, novel based characters are difficult to make. It all depends on a detailed enough description by the author(s). And then it depends if your view is the same with the majority's.

I made a Kass Tod a long time ago, based on her appearance in the Republic comics. And even that wasn't easy, because she didn't look the same throughout the comics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.