main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official CVI Artist Alley thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by echo-3, Jun 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Discuss everything about the Artist and there work for CVI

2. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    If paying with cash, let the artists accept payments at their respective tables.

And only 2 registers for CV? What a nightmare...

3. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Agreed, I was so MAD at standing in line to pay for 5 hrs ,if they had just told us that once you got a ticket from the artist you could come back at anytime to pay..that would have been nice.

4. Vote_Snaplaunce

Vote_Snaplaunce Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2011

I was very surprised that you couldn't pay the artists in cash last year, as that's how it works at every comic con I've been to. But I guess Lucasfilm or Acme don't trust the artists to be honest. At the very least, they should have 4 registers on the first day.

5. hothie

hothie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2004
    Agreed. I didn't buy anything, but I saw the lines practically wrapping all the way around the artist area. Absolutely ridiculous. More registers are a must, or a different system altogether.

6. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    The Celebration Artist Alley has always operated that way and was fine for CIV, but it was an issue of reduced registers, only one working receipt printer on the first day, and people not knowing the exact process and therefore not having to wait in line. I didn't pay for mine until Friday.

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I went in on the last day and got my print and didn't have to wait in line at all.

8. Zepherous

Zepherous Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2010
    We stood in line for 2 hours to buy a couple prints. We weren't even that far back in the line. I think they should definitely make the artist area bigger this time, and have maybe 5-6 registers going at all times. We were VIPs, but did not realize the procedure for buying art until everyone else had flooded the area. I did end up buying 7 prints over the 4 days, so it didn't stop me, but I just hope it is better executed this time.

9. JediJustin

JediJustin Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2006
    I'm really hoping for more standard-sized prints from each artist this time around.

Some of the prints that were available at previous Celebrations were in very odd sizes, making it difficult (and costly) to find a suitable frame for them.

10. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I agree, I still haven't framed the one print I bought at CV. My dream print would be a Princess Leia version of Jason Palmer's print from CIV, the one with all of Padmé's costumes on it.

I've stopped buying the con figures, but I do have a spot for a third print in my living room.

11. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Was the system this bad for the artists NOT in the Alley? Spencer Brinkerhoff III (and some guy with, it seemed like, NO Star Wars stuff but plenty of Star Trek artwork) had a booth on the regular floor.

12. Vote_Snaplaunce

Vote_Snaplaunce Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2011
    No, it was much better for the artists not in artist alley. I got prints from Dave Dorman and Tom Hodges, and you could just go right up to them and give them cash and get a print. Almost no lines. Dorman's line had a bit of a wait, but that was just because he was doing individual sketches on each of the prints as well.

13. bstspiritwarrior

bstspiritwarrior Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2006
    Dormans' work is great. I have both of his prints from the previous two Celebrations and am looking forward to what he may design for CVI.

But yeah I do hope they come up with a better way to handle the payments. I was given a slip with a specific timeframe to come back to pay and I still had to wait in a long line.

14. TedDastickJr

TedDastickJr Jedi Youngling

Aug 24, 2011
    I'm hoping to be able to set up at this show next year. I was planning on it last time, but the timing didn't work out - had a baby instead. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.