main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Darth Vader in Rebels Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Rob Wainfur, Feb 24, 2015.

1. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    This is one of the problems with introducing Vader into the show. For him to succeed and not appear completely incompetent, the crew will have to lose something big or they run the risk of making him appear inferior.

Tarkin is a chess master and made preparations for the rebels in the finale. He was just out maneuvered by previously unplanned for elements appearing.

Lando Swarm and Lady_Misty like this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    In the OT, Han was frozen in carbonite, Luke lost a hand and Obi-Wan and Owen and Beru bit the dust. Except for ROTJ, which is arguably the weakest of the three, the heroes always lost something. The struggle against the Empire was a tough one and required personal sacrifices.

Now show me where this is the case in rebels.

RedVad likes this.
  3. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    This is the point I was highlighting. There hasn't been much personal sacrifice thus far for our heroes, and that is why I personally think that Vader, and most likely Tarkin will be involved, will be taking something from them. Rebels escaping from the Empire isn't anything new or unexpected, but they will have to lose something important to them.

In ROTJ, I would also say that Luke lost something personal in the death of Anakin/Vader after having successfully having him change sides and regaining a father he never got to know. This is unfortunately out weighed by the defeat of Palpatine, destruction of the Deathstar II, and the revelation of Leia being Luke's sister.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  4. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    it actually would have worked well to have Kanan to die in the last episode.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I am a bit sceptical.

Good point.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    If Vader become a regular, I expect we are going to see a villain decay, so much for an efficient empire.

BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  7. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    From what I've read it seems like they will be handling Vader well. Filoni has said that, "We cannot have him on a TV scenario where he is going to suffer weekly defeats. That's just not going to work - that's not what he is about." Freddie Prince Jr. also said something similar in the new Rebels Recon. I guess I have faith that they will use him sparingly, and when he does appear the heroes lose.

Filoni also said that Vader, "is a character without remorse. He doesn't care. He's completely consumed by his hate. And I don't believe there's anything about him that would show that there's another path for him other than his downfall. Vader right now is a force to be reckoned with, and an evil one at that." This also sounds nice and that we won't get the "whiny" Vader that often appeared in the EU.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes well obviously they won't say "Vader will suffer villain decay". But imo Tarkin already did, so I don't feel very hopeful. Vader is my favorite character, if they make him look weak I won't forgive them.

Vorax likes this.
  9. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Yeah, the crew really made a fool of him in the last episode, it was so deplorable.

10. Redimet

Redimet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2014
    I feel like Vader is going to have more Inquisitors involved though.

11. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    From this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/03/03/star-wars-rebels-season-finale-exclusive/24245017/

The people making this show are not idiots.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    Considering both Dave and Pablo bring up how they plan to use Vader in the latest Rebel Recon while directly addressing the fear of cheapening him and how they plan to avoid that, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, especially sense the season ends with a lot more rebels and uppity types on Lothal for him to gleefully redshirt.

I'd put actual money on him destroying Phoenix Squadron by the end of Season 2.

13. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

Then you'll know how some felt when he/they pulled with Maul especially in Lawless.;) Maul and Vader have always been my favorites but they seem to want to villains to suffer through their own egoism and blunders along with by the heroes hand. The Inquisitor was hyped up in the media and by the prudction but in the end was hot air.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I too thought that Maul was defeated too easily in The Lawless, so yes, I understand.

When Filoni givew interviews it often sounds so wonderful, especially when they adress doubts that fans have, but sometimes it turns out to be hot air.

Vorax likes this.
  15. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    considering they only used Vader for about 10 seconds this season i wouldn't be too worried for overuse.

16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    What about the whole deal in the pilot, which they sold without Vader and then retroactively put him in ? Already forgotten?

17. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    he was only in for a few seconds at the end wasn't he?

Dra--- likes this.
  18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I think having Ezra die would have worked the best. Instead of the master dying, it's the apprentice (I saw that idea on these boards and I liked it because it was different). Then have Kanan have to deal with that and then get killed by Vader in S2. I am of the opinion that all of these Jedi should be dead by ANH, so that's why I'm being so morbid with these particular ideas. Not sure when I'd kill off Ahsoka though.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    How do you kill off Ezra? He's pretty much the main character.

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy likes this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

So vader can personally destroy it.

Vib3s likes this.
  21. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    killing Kanan would have left Ahsoka to train him, which would have been interesting to see what angle she'd approach that from.

23. RedVad

RedVad Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 29, 2012
    Takes money to make new CGI for the planets.

Same reason we only saw Mustafar from orbit I'd say.

24. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I can now see more skilled mercenaries like Dark Hands infiltrating the Rebel Alliance. Perhaps a chance for Mara Jade to make a canonized appearance.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It's a Star Wars show so we have to have a red lightsaber guy fight the blue lightsaber guy every few episoes. You can't have Vader do it otherwise you end up with Vader looking weak, and while it's possible Kanan and Vader will face off and Kanan will somehow escape and live through it, that cannot be a sustainable thing. Vader would crush them if it happened more than once. But the lightsaber battles will be a thing. It's possible the showrunners are seeing a trend towards the Ghost crew winning a bit too easily, so they're bringing in Vader to add some heft back to the bad guys.

It'll be interesting to see how Vader is used in Season 2, he should show up and clean house on Lothal. Maybe after Vader tears it up, he sends in another darksider to maintain Lothal and fight the rebel cell and their pesky Jedi. But Vader and Tarkin can't be the every episode big bad for the series, it wouldn't work and would ring hollow. These guys are busy with the whole damn galaxy, not just Lothal!

So Vader shows up, trashes the place, leaves Insert Inquisitor Mark II behind to clean up the mess.

I do think we will get a Vader vs. Ashoka battle, finally, at some point. And that can't have a happy ending either. Or maybe he tries to turn her. which would also not lead to a happy ending.