main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Darth Vader in Rebels Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Rob Wainfur, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Rebels' morality is so utterly skewed it's not funny. The way I read it there is no one striving for morality at all and I feel bad that the Empire continues to be so *narrowly* presented.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    But since when was the empire All goody goody I agree there are probably good people in the empire but we have not seen it.

TheSilentInfluence and Iron_lord like this.
  3. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    So we can then agree that the use of the trope is poor writing and that use of it doesn't mean that if he had struck him down would have made him immoral, correct?

Agreed, but I probably won't give up on the show. The show still has a lot to offer to the canon universe. Even if it is amateurish in addressing this particular subject matter IMO.

True, point taken. However, at the end of ANH they had the award ceremony and in ROTJ they had the celebration of Ewoks where the Ewoks used stromtrooper helmets as drums.

Him being a killer is a known personality trait. Not showing it repeatedly does not mean it is ignored as it can always be addressed at a later date. Whether he is an accessory, an orchestrator, or the instrument of death he is still a killer. That aspect is will not go away.

Those other personality traits absolutely should be elaborated on to give context to his actions for when he does kill someone to give weight to the fact.

So, if I am understanding correctly your main issue on this whole idea is the handling of it due to writing correct?

4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008

5. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I have to admit even if I like seeing Vader, I don't want it being about the "letting them go" excuse every time he shows up. I mean it can work once or twice but in the long run , it becomes repetitive and a part of me think they made a mistake to bring Vader this early in the show because of that.

6. SoloBrothers

SoloBrothers Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2013
    the way I hear it is he lets them escape to follow them to the fleet. If I had to guess I'd say the Inquisitors are there to fail and when Vader shows up again it won't end too well /

7. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

That is not my problem. The problem is its just evil is evil. Why is this person evil because they work for the empire and that makes them evil... Chicken or the Egg.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Rise of the Rebels - there's a theme of "the Empire specifically picks nasty people - bullies - to work for it - so that it can trust them to do what it wants":

TK-626 walked with his comrade MB-223 down the line of TIEs. This was their 108th patrol of the airfield that night. And still no sign of rebels. They were too scared to come over the wall. Too scared of stormtroopers like TK-626.

They were right to be scared. The Empire had recruited him straight out of school. His detention record for bullying had supposedly put him at the top of their list. In fact, the Imperial recruiter had told him that bullies made some of the best stormtroopers. Bullies didn't question orders or think for themselves. They didn't care that they lost their names for numbers. Bullies just wanted to pick on people who were different from them - like rebels.

TK-626 wished there was a rebel to catch in the airfield. Then he could prove his loyalty to the Empire. Yet all he heard was the content chirp of Lothalian crickbeets. And all he saw was row after row of new TIE fighters. The stormtrooper commander had told them to be careful not to bump or catch any of the TIEs. TIE pilots could be very protective of their craft and loved to push around lower-ranked stormtroopers.

9. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I don't too much have a problem with everyone in the Empire being evil. If someone is good, then they either leave the Empire and fight for the Rebellion or they die, and I am a-okay with never seeing those character's stories told. Throughout the PT, evil hid itself in the shadows and helped to blur the lines between good and evil until the galaxy willingly gave up its freedom in exchange for security and peace, and at that point evil unmasked itself. The original trilogy era doesn't need to have morally dubious characters IMO, because at that point in the story the lines are clearly drawn and everyone is just picking a side.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup - and there's more than one "bad side" too - Jabba is not an Imperial - but he's still portrayed as very evil in the RoTJ novel.

11. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    We see a lot more 'evil' Imperials than 'nice' (or at the bare minimum morally grey) ones because it's the bad ones who tend to be doing the things our heroes need to stop. Tarkin didn't just get handed the Death Star and a user manual because of his amazing cheekbones, he got it because he had a reputation for using fear and intimidation as standard negotiation tactics. With the odd exception most of the higher ranking Imperials are there on merit (the ones who aren't don't last long) and you don't rise up the ranks very fast if your bosses suspect you of doubting the cause. Probably there are plenty of small background characters with no names and generic faces that aren't as rabidly fascist as most of the named Imps. But those characters have absolutely no bearing on the plot so really... who cares? (in terms of the story.)

It would be pretty helpful/illuminating if we saw an Imperial passing information to the Rebels (like, for real this time) or even just expressing any doubt about the righteousness of their cause. Maketh seems the most likely of any to end up down that path of anyone introduced so far I would guess.

12. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    I can see your point jakobitis89 and I agree (Maketh is a nice example). I think it'd really nice to see other "nice" Imperials, just to debunk the theory that the entirety of the Empire is evil, from the lowest ranks to the highest. For instance Imperial Governors who try to do what's best for their planet, while trying to juggle things with their Imperial superiors. Or maybe stormtroopers that are not complete bullies that rob people off the street, but either loyal soldiers or even recruits from the planet they are stationed on (and thus giving a damn at what happens to their community).

Kassius Konstantine likes this.
  13. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    Yeah, that would be nice/interesting/cool... but basically kind of pointless in the context of a serial cartoon show that has 20 odd minutes per week to advance the plot. We saw the kid looking for his sister, Maketh has so far refrained from anything blatantly evil, so there ARE people who are nominally Imperial but not evil. But sadly time restrictions mean that in the show itself we're unlikely to hear two random mooks chatting idly about their specific moral compasses and the relative Imperial policy.

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

True. And especially since the second Season will involve Lothal being under Vader's rule, who (as we can see from the trailer) will fiercely oppress the population to uncover the rebels. So yeah, no "good" Imperials anytime soon.

15. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    They could use Yularen, or Pellaeon in a sort-of "grey Imperial" kind of role.

16. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Umm, I'm pretty sure that Kana has killed on the show, as have most of the Ghost Crew. Him not offing the Inquisitor doesn't mean that the show things that "killing d is bad, even during war." Otherwise, they wouldn't have Sabine shooting stormtroopers in the face on a pretty regular basis, or blowing them up with bombs.

17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's what happens when you don't read the whole conversation.

Mooks are not treated as humans. The show is cruising on a double-standard that is actually pretty typical for this type of adventure series.

Kassius Konstantine likes this.
  18. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    FIFY

19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    True to a point.

20. Agent M

Agent M Jedi Padawan star 2

May 13, 2015
    Don't really like the new look even if it's not that different from the original tbh​

21. Agent M

Agent M Jedi Padawan star 2

May 13, 2015
    What's up with the red eyes btw?​
    [​IMG]

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    He ate too many carrots.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  23. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    Not enough sleep? I know my eyes get a bit red if I don't get a solid sleep of a night.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  24. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    But no, this won't do! Don't you understand that his HUMANITY has to be shown? Because Hutts are human beings too, right? ;)

I'm sorry, Cushy, but I HAD to make that joke... ;)

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    He couldn't sleep because he was so hungry from only eating carrots the whole day.

jakobitis89 likes this.