main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Official Dave Filoni Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by ImNotAStarWarsFanboy, Feb 28, 2015.

1. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't know how much credit I can give Filoni, just because half the time TCW would do something great or something awful, and Filoni was the one that the blame fell on because he was the public face for TCW. Yet many of those ideas - both great and terrible - would later be clarified by Filoni as having originated with Lucas. So a lot of credit and blame seems to fall to him erroneously.

What I can say though is I love listening to his podcast appearances and reading his interviews. Someone had mentioned to him once how you'll sometimes hear of people that work at a restaurant that become so jaded working there, but that after over a decade of working on TCW and Rebels, Filoni has been able to maintain a genuine enthusiasm for the property. And he's just way better in interviews than Lucas ever was. Lucas always just seemed so apathetic about how people perceived his work; he seemed so bored and unenthusiastic about discussing it; he would change his mind radically on decisions, but then act like that's what he "always" wanted. Even when it came to something like Episode VII, way back when he had an idea for it, then there was like a decade where he was adamant that it was never going to happen and that it was just a joke and that he had left instructions that no future films were to be made, then Episode VII gets announced during the Disney deal and he starts talking about how he said that he was done making movies but that he never said other people couldn't make movies, then more recently said that he had intended to do Episode VII before handing it off for VIII and IX.

It's like when Filoni got asked if the Sifo-Dyas story from TCW was what Lucas always had envisioned, and Filoni tactfully addresses the question by putting forth his own opinion that the stories evolve over time (i.e. no, that probably wasn't what Lucas had envisioned back in 2002). But something tells me if you were to ask Lucas, he'd insist that yes he ALWAYS intended for Sifo-Dyas to be this ex-Jedi that helped Dooku order the clone army before being betrayed, when the original name "Sido-Dyas" suggests otherwise.

I just think Lucas had a pretentious way of trying to revise his decision making process to make it look like he had planned something all along, and he seemed very indifferent about the fans and whether or not they like what he does. Filoni on the other hand seems like the kind of guy you could go out and get a beer with and discuss Star Wars with as a fellow fan. And if he does make decisions that some people don't like, he can usually address that in good humor (like the D-squad arc) but also seems to sympathize with the fans that feel that way. He's just a really cool guy to be the "face" of Star Wars. Even though he only speaks for the TCW and Rebels TV projects, he volunteers his time to do interviews and reach out to fans more than anyone else really involved on any Star Wars project.

2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I guess Filoni would do PR and engage with the fans by having something to do with them to some extent, Lucas would not normally not give them the time of day uness its for some media production or big event, as he never could handle criticism or like other people interfering with his art, it is why he had various levels of employees handling the franchise, media and fans. I see a lot of the campiness and quirkiness carried into Rebels where Lucas is not around anymore, so its not all Lucas directly. I would also surmise Lucas would surround himself with like-minded individuals and/or individuals whom he can groom as a teacher would a student.

Filoni and his team put out some good stuff, some bad stuff and some ugly stuff - stuff I'll never understand but its their show and canon to do as they like, to their credit they usually attempt to clarify and justify their decisions or Lucas's. I generally enjoyed TCW, the show got better overall with each new season but there was always some hit and misses in-between.

pepoluan and Heero_Yuy like this.
  3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Ok that was a little creepy....

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

How.

5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I like to think CoolyFett is just hopping from thread to thread, randomly calling comments creepy as a way of mocking oversensitive people.

And this thread is an abomination.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

Are you saying it is and why is that.

7. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    ALL PRAISE DAVE

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nope. Can't watch until Amazon Instant Video gets it.

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

I would advise not coming on here again until then.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Already been spoiled, don't care.

It was a great season 1, Rebels.

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Well think about this there next show won't have ashoka.

13. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014
    She's gonna die. I don't see your issue.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I give her tell the end of season 2.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    With the new thread about DF I decided he needs some love to so I resurrected this thread.

16. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I have great admiration and respect for Filoni, for making the Clone Wars the great show it is. His passion for all things Star Wars is refreshing.

pepoluan and Saga Explorer like this.
  17. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Star Wars fan , director of The Clone Wars and Rebels and voice of some characters in those shows (Embo) .

Vorax likes this.
  18. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    He voiced Embo!?

19. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Embo

Ehpik likes this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

He also voices some of the STs

21. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    So Embo is Dave Filoni reading the Smurfs badly in French. You learn something every day. =D=

22. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    I have new-found respect for Filoni.

pepoluan likes this.
  23. pepoluan

pepoluan Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    I think he was just tired, as in physically tired. And much more restrained because the SWR story is much 'tighter'; you can't switch over to a different point of view, or a different scene altogether.

In all podcasts I ever heard where Filoni's a guest speaker, he always sounds absolutely enthused and gushing.

Maybe he's just tired of people commenting about his cowboy hat whenever he made a visual appearance :D

Superior only because TCW is already 6-season long. SWR needs to first establish the grounds, before expanding toward the stories/adventures. And I have great faith of the team.

Force Smuggler and jakobitis89 like this.
  24. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    If I ever see an article written by Dave Filoni or an interview with I have to read it because you just know he'll tease us something about TCW/Rebels.

IMO Filoni is a more "slutty" version of Lucas- always teasing us hungry fans :p

25. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    He's got some things wrong before, some of them really quite badly. He's made decisions I frankly just cannot even understand, let alone rationalise. BUT he's done a lot right, far more right than wrong, and when you look at his passion and enthusiasm and determination I don't think he's ever made a decision not thinking it was going to improve things and make things exciting and interesting for fans... fans like him. Every decision he's made he's made wanting the best for the project in question because he wants it to the best darn Star Wars show he can make, it seems to me. He's a fan as well as an employee. And for that I can forgive the missteps... I just won't go back and watch those episodes again!

pepoluan and Trebor Sabreon like this.