main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Official DFWFF Community Message Boards

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by stone, Apr 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    hey guys,

our new DFWFF forums have gone live and are ready and waiting for you to join us.

http://dfwfanforce.net/forum/

to quote darth chocolate who summed up the purpose for the new boards best:

I just wanted to say welcome to the new DFWFF message boards. Although we're only in beta testing for now, with any luck these boards will become our primary forum in which we can communicate with each other in peace. Meaning, we will be able to talk about anything we want, whenever we want, however we want, without having to follow and appease the FanForce gods. These boards will be moderated by us, DFWFanForce, and we have the right to edit, restrict or refuse anyone we feel we inappropriate. This does not mean that we will be acting abusive or disruptive at a whim or that we will be controlling like those on theforce.net's boards, but there may be times when we need to step in and keep things cool and reasonable.

i would also like to thanks those members who acted as my guinnea pigs, canary in the mine shaft, "very dangerous. indy, you go first" and helped me and mike test them out.

2. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    It's already hit 100 posts...DON'T YOU PEOPLE HAVE JOBS?!!! :p

3. LebaDraddog

LebaDraddog Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2002
    NOW I see why the posts have slowed down on this board. Thanks for the update - now I have an extra message board to check on breaks and lunch and when the boss isn't looking and at night when I get home and before I log off to go to sleep and before I go to work.

4. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    stone, you'll be receiving my health care provider's first invoice for carpal tunnel treatment any day now ;)

5. stone

Dec 4, 2000
    well, stop touching yourself.
    you'll go blind too.

6. Nightcrawler13

Nightcrawler13 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2001
    and thus Daredevil was born. :D

Out of the darkness comes a hero. Born from touching himself too much... DAREDEVIL!
    :D

7. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    So that wasn't the space bar I kept hitting? :eek:

8. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Having too much fun double clicking are we?

:cool:

9. BigChris

BigChris Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2000
    Cool! We started our own forum a few months ago so that we could moderate it ourselves and not have to worry about what the JC Gods think. ;)

10. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Yep, that was our idea too.

:cool:

11. stone

Dec 4, 2000
    *bump

12. stone

Dec 4, 2000
    *bump again

13. TI1420

TI1420 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    Hey Folks-

I know I'm not *in* the DFW area, but recent events prompt me to post this here; I'm sure many here are aware of the flaming going on at the DFWFF discussion boards between 501st and FF members.
    I mean no offense and am speaking completely independent of 501st hierarchy on a topic that means a great deal to me. FYI, I have also sent the following rant to my fellow 501st Star Garrison members. I apologize for the long rant, but like I said, this means a lot to me.

The whole flame war thing is just plain silly. I am firmly against breaking off contact with DFWFF or any other fan group on the premise that it makes ALL of us look stupid- to each other, to any outsiders who might be reading, and more importantly, to Lucasfilm Ltd.
    Refusal to deal with *particular members* of one or another group is understandable and, regrettably, nearly unavoidable, but to dismiss an entire group of potential friends is completely asinine and I find it extremely disheartening.

Face it: to most people, we are a bunch of grown adults who collect toys and play dress-up. If I had seen this flaming type of behavior when I first got into the various SW fan clubs, I would have backed out in a hurry because such behavior is NOT why I am involved in these groups. Fortunately, I have been lucky enough to find a great group of folks from both the 501st and DFWFF who help each other out and make lasting friendships. I hope none of this has scared off any potential friends.

Neither side is good or bad, better than the other, etc. A lot of what prompts a person to pick a particular costume is a combination of financial factors and their sense of personal aesthetics, not political mindset.
    For example, I'm more like a Rebel as a person: If SW was real and I lived in that universe, I'm SURE I'd be on Luke and Yoda's side. I venture to say that nearly all of us would be.
    However, I happen to think the Imperial costumes look good; my eyes find them tasty, you could say. I seriously doubt that ANY 501st member anywhere is an actual Nazi or even comes close to leaning in that direction, as has tastelessly been implied by some folks on the DFW forum.
    I am not ashamed to tell you all that I have both a TIE pilot costume AND and Rebel pilot costume. I am working on a Death Star Gunner helmet and a set of Jedi robes, and I also plan on getting a set of stormie armor as soon as I can get my hands on it. All of it simply because the visual flavors appeal to me.

We are in many cases very different from one another, but can find friendship and camaraderie among strangers through our love of George Lucas' amazing films. I have met and corresponded with several of the DFWFF folks and find the vast majority of them to be quite nice and likable people (in fact I couldn't name one I don't like), and I'm sure that the feeling is generally reciprocated by the silent majority of DFWFF members who just want to make friends with people who have similar interests.
    There are always going to be people who take themselves too seriously and get verbally rude and abusive, but they can pretty much be safely ignored, or patted on the head like wayward puppies. The less seriously they are taken, the less they will affect the rest of us.

I have a lot of friends who, as much as we love each other, think I am a total nerd for being so into Star Wars. I imagine that we all do.
    So to find other people, LOTS of other people, who are willing to be pals and accept each other despite our nerdly affliction (lol) is to me a treasure beyond compare.

I really enjoy knowing and making friends with folks who share my passion, and it really makes me sad to see this sort of degeneration occur. Intergroup animosity is juvenile, completely unnecessary, and will ultimately lead to the disintegration of all our groups if left unchecked.

None of us need to be reminded that

14. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    stone, will you commend me if I remove the offending posts? :p

15. Jango_Bango

Jango_Bango Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    "Two wrongs don't make a right!"

*runs and ducks to avoid any hurled projectiles*

16. Darth_Chocolate

Darth_Chocolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    2 wrongs may not make a right, but 3 lefts do...

17. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    Okay, as requested by staff, the items posted between DFWFF members will be deleted from this thread and moved to the members-only section of the dfwff board.

Go there if and look for "Some Fun Bedtime Reading" ;)

18. CrimsonVision

CrimsonVision Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    *dances about*

I agree with Jeff! Its about time! ;)

19. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    LOL! Love your choice of Avatars, Brian!

:D

20. ThreepMe

ThreepMe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    Brian, that avatar is awesome...

You are now my hero.

21. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    LOL, glad I could send some levity your way, guys.

Replace "TFN" with "Fanboyz" and imo it would be the perfect online icon ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.