main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Discussion - Clone Wars: Chapter 12 (Battle of Dantooine) [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by masterskywalker, Mar 29, 2004.

1. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Watching it right now from Hyperspace. Mace is da bombad. There seems to be a flub in the cartoon. The Dwarf Spider droid, I thought they were supposed to be taller than the SBD's. They were in AOTC. I figure their legs are as tall as Mace in that movie. Yet here we have a proverbial shrimp of a spider droid.

2. ImperialMarchFace

ImperialMarchFace Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    it bothered me that in AOTC mace runs away from 3 SBD's but in this cartoon he takes on a countless number of them

3. -Jack-Sparrow-

-Jack-Sparrow- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 26, 2003
    I didn't care for this chapter it was too short. :(
    I hope the next one is better.

4. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Kinda dull. Episode 11 had much better characters. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of Mace.

What the heck was that thing? A World Devestator?

5. Darth_Gehenna

Darth_Gehenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    A Seismic Tank.

I'm having a problem with the Hyperspace episode. At around the 1:25 point there's a shot of some droid's feet walking where it pauses for a moment then jumps back to the beginning of the shot and plays through. It looks like it's a problem with the Quicktime file and I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    This Chapter immediately became one of my favorites.

But, since I live in Canada, for once I have the advantage.

And all I have to say is: if you liked this one, you will LOVE Chapter 13.

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Sections in black are 'hazy' as far as Episode III info is concerned.

Chapter 12... worst one so far IMO. Mace isn't exactly my favourite character in the PT, and so I wasn't especially looking forward to his appearance in Clone Wars. On the plus side, they've realised what Sam Jackson might look like in intensive action extremely well I thought; he's very cool, calm, and is taking everything in his stride... it's effortless. On the minus however, I just find Mace so boring, and unengaging. He doesn't seem to have much purpose other than being a big name Jedi who gets killed in Episode III. I found myself carrying those ideas across to the cartoon, that he's been shoehorned into everything. It seemed just like a piece of fancy fighting with no larger story involved, no glimpse of the overall journey of Star Wars, no journey that changes the character, that takes them somewhere interesting, that develops the character. I didn't feel any of that in this chapter with Mace, as I have done in all the previous chapters (for example Anakin and Obi-Wan are 'going somewhere', Dooku is pushing Ventress onward, Ventress is pushing Anakin onward, Obi-Wan's frustrations a bubbling nicely to the surface... everything so far has felt like a cool individual story, but also contributing to the whole, forever altering the Star Wars universe). Nothing turned in Chapter 12, there was no new information, no progress. Mace is a hard-ass at the start, and a hard-ass at the end (no doubt). I want at least to learn something about Mr. Windu whilst he's on his way to being exactly the same as he was in AOTC at the start of Episode III. In addition, the location, Dantooine, isn't exactly crucial to the narrative progress towards Episode III. At least if were not gonna learn anything about Mace, it would've been nice to set him against a big and relevant plot development... With Anakin and Obi-Wan we have seen both brilliant character development and progress to their personalities in Episode III, but also crucial developments in the Clone Wars themselves with the Banking Clan and Durge. We have had the personal issues, and the galactic issues set wonderfully against one another. Unfortunately, Mace isn't very interesting. The only change he undergoes in the entire PT era is going from alive to dead somewhere in Episode III... and so a storyline involving him that engages on multiple levels is very difficult. I hope the second part tonight has something to hold onto with Mace other than 'he's the baddest, blah, blah, blah...'. I have my fingers crossed, but I do want to get back to a useful storyline.

EDIT: That's probably reading too much into it... but I wanted to attempt to explain why Chapter 12 failed to engage me... failed to excite.

EDIT #2: Sorry dp4m, I got too carried away to notice I'd maybe mentioned something too close tothe line. I've blacked out the sections that could be considered 'hazy'.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    The above is getting very close to the line of acceptible discussion of Episode III. So everyone should take care to not cross that line.

Speculation good. Spoilers bad. Speculation that sounds an awful lot like repeating of "fact"... hazy.

9. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    I didn't like this chapter. It started with a namless third person POV, a kid running over a hill. Very anime........very Un-Star Wars. I thought that ground pounder thing was a little far fetched too. It did have some good action. I liked Chapter 11 better.

10. Talz

Talz Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    I liked the kid watching the battle but didn't like the way his eyes were drawn compared to the other characters. Yes - too anime.
    One thing that frustrates me (I noticed it before - perhaps Episode I) is that background of several scenes will have a bunch of Super Battle Droids just standing there not doing anything. The other animation thing that bothered me is this clonetrooper looking up at the seismic tank does a double take but his head follows the exact same path and timing and it looks like a glitch.
    My favorite shot is when Mace and the clones jump over the rolling wave of dirt and Mace jumps higher than everyone else. It reminds me of jumping waves on the beach and it looked fun. I also thought the shot near the end of Mace, obscured by dust getting up from the ground was cool.
    The criticisms above about the shallow nature of the story are right on. Yes, Mace is just supposed to be cool. He is, was, and will be in Episode III. I don't think that's a problem though in a four minute cartoon - just enjoy the action!

11. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    [image=http://www.ulcer8d.org.uk/misc/brutaltrooper.jpg]

BRUTAL!! :p

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

12. Kirby_106

Kirby_106 Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2003
    I got two things to say. Well maybe three.
    I really enjoyed this episode. I missed it on TV last night because I thought they were on every friday not every weekday. Im not sure if this just me or not but mace looks pretty old and his chin bothers me. Last night I had a dream that I was in the Star Wars world. What happend was i was in a cafateria type like thing and I broke the food dispencer. A jedi came up to me and started yelling at me. I walked away grumbling to myself "stupid lunch thing...I could make a better one that THAT" He heard me and said "what did you say??" I said "I said I could make a better one". He then says "ok fine you make one." So I started to make one then suddenly we teleported to an arena. There were other people there building their robots. (OK now here is were it gets wierd) We needed some tools and some other stuff so we ran to a shed type like little building inside the arena. There were sandwitches on the ground. We would pick them up and eat them while we were searching for stuff. Me and another guy found a cabnet type like thing on the wall. We opened it and inside were some lightsabers. He grabed on and I was reacing for another one but then darth maul comes and takes the lightsaber. (Now for some reason I suddenly had a robe on me) I said "Hey thats mine". He looked at me weird and then started to walk away. I started to walk away in the other direction. He then throws the lightsaber at me. I catch it and say "Hey thx alot!" He looks at me like im an enimie and then I quikly say "uh i mean No thx alot" Then he nods his head and walks away. I walk back to the arena and see like 200 jedis fighting and a whole bunch of battle druids shooting at them. I was disapointed because some 1 blew up my machine :( So I turned my lightsaber on and started fighting. I got shot and woke up. I didint know if I was awake or not. So I forced myself out of the bed and down the stairs. I made some waffles and was very curius about my dream. It just struck me that my dream was alot like the battle in AOTC when all the jedis are fighting in the arena. So I turned on my DVD player and started to watch that one scene while eating my waffles. I almost choked at what I saw. There was a young jedi that looked ALOT like me. He was battleing the droids with his lightsaber. He then got shot. Now I was frozen. I turned off the DVD player and turned on the news. I finished my waffles. Came up to my bedroom. Turned on my computer. Downloaded the episode. Watched it. Opened the internet. Typed in the forums. Reading the forums. And now im typeing in the forums. If you understud ANY of that then you and me are crazy. lol

13. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    ^ ^ ^
    [image=http://images2.fotki.com/v21/photos/4/46087/215691/coleman-vi.jpg]

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

14. Panesar

Panesar Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2004
    O.K. First off, I would just like to say of of you are sad if you liked that. I thought that was so dissa-
    THAT WAS THE BEST CHAPTER IN THE WORLD! LOL YOU THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO SAY DISSAPOINTING. Guys. Thats the best Clone Wars Cartoon, heck, best to The Simpsons cartoon i have ever seen!
    OMG Mace!
    Go Mace, its your birthday, were going to party like its your birthday!

15. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Awesome episode, creat shots there, come nice battlefield action that I've been waiting for, Mace, clones, droids... awesome.

16. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    >>BRUTAL!!

yea......the clone troopers are mad violent. Everytime they are faced w/ a situation they ponder for a brief second and always arrive at the same conclusion...........Shoot it!

I liked when they just keep shooting Durge in the chapter he finally died in. They were swinging down from the rafters just to get shots it. Nothing phases them.......nothing can't be solved with a blaster rifle. I love it, lol.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> it bothered me that in AOTC mace runs away from 3 SBD's but in this cartoon he takes on a countless number of them<<

He runs away from Jango, not the droids.

18. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Well, it was cool to see Dantooine and the initial battle, but I didn't get that excited about the Seismic Tank. The ending was also quite abrupt, but I understand that this chapter was intended to introduce the ST.
    When did Mace learn to destroy several SBD in a row?

19. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    ^ And, you know, the Sith Lord standing next to him.

20. lifeday

lifeday Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2004
    I thougt it was great. Mace is one B.A. My only concern is that in ep 3 we will be let down because the moves don't look as cool as they do in the cartoon. The question is will SJ with CGI be able to look as B.A.

21. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I couldn't work out what the Seismic Tank was gonna do right until it did what it did. It came as a big surprise. It was the best part of the episode IMO. Large and shocking = good. :) Although what if they'd used the tank in the arena on Geonosis. They could've wiped out all the remaining Jedi in one fell swoop (or... smash).

22. leif

leif Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 16, 1999
    Awesome Chapter. The "BRUTAL" scene was by far the best part, and the amount of laser fire when the clone army was under the Seismic Tank.

Good ****aki.

23. Ninja_Gayden

Ninja_Gayden Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2004
    This episode sucked the big one. Mace will never be able to pull off those moves in Episode 3 and I like SLJ. The animation was atrocious (as it always is) and was that Seimic Tank really necessary, they had to be another way!

24. DarthMaul431

DarthMaul431 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2003
    I agree that the crusher thingy looked like a World Devastator. It was a little wierd seeing those windmills at the beginning because it looked like something you would find in the real world. Mace's fighting was so cool. I was amazed to see him take out the dwarf spider droids so easily. I also liked when one of the Clones were shooting crazily into the chest of one of the fallen droids, and I was suprised when the Super Battle Droid whacked the Clone on the head like it showed in AOTC with the regular droid. The first two episodes of this season were really good and I can't wait to see the next one!

25. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    They looked a bit like World Devestators, but they're not, they crush things... I imagine that they pulled the ideas from somewhere like Dark Empire though.