main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Discussion -- Clone Wars: Chapter 2 (Assault on Muunilinst, Part II) [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by jp-30, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    Sorry guys and gals. It's been a busy day for me. But not busy enough that I couldn't pause for 3 minutes to watch star wars. :D
    Well, I continue to be impressed by this show and it left with a great cliffhanger. I'm guessing the guy who's sniper rifle barrel we're looking through at the end of the episode is Durge. My biggest question of all right now is how the heck are they going to fit Captain Typho into this series. It doesn't seem like he has a logical point to be in this series really unless Padme becomes involved.

2. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Name of Muunilinst's capital

Someone asked earlier what the name of Muunilinst's caputal is. There it is

General Obi-Wan Kenobi led his clone army into the city of Harnaidan,

3. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    i think the damage had been done prior to obi wan ever taking anakin as an apprentice, he was too old and shouldn't have been trained.

Do you really thinkthat's the problem?

4. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    There wouldn't have been any problem if Anakin had been trained by an *actual* Jedi Master. Mace Windu would have been the PERFECT master for Anakin.

Not training Anakin was never an option. He was the chosen one. And even if he wasn't, he was simply too powerful to be left unattended. The Jedi saw a way to balance the force, and jumped on it.

Sheesh, you'd think the Jedi would be a *little* bit more discriminating about who taught the Chosen One. But I digress.

5. amidalak

amidalak Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2003
    Do you really think that's the problem?

yeah, i do. anakin brought all kinds of baggage with him to becoming a jedi, not least of which being the desire for adventure. anakin's desire to be a jedi seems to be entirely self serving. considering he is a 9 yr old when he is found, that's not surprising, but padawans trained from birth don't have this, as well as any of the rest, of anakin's problems. anakin never appeared to want to be a jedi for reasons like service, justice, defending the defenseless, and i think that, with all the rest of his baggage, is the main reason anakin goes down the path he does. given anakin's circumstances, no, obi wan was probably not the best choice of master to apprentice him to, but i don't really think it would have mattered, especially when the meddling of sidious/palpatine is put into the equation.

6. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Phfft, Luke had the same motivations for becoming a Jedi, and was TWICE as old as Anakin when he started his traning! And he... oh yeah... helped save the galaxy!

7. AAMD11

AAMD11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    Chapter 2 was quite good, lots of action, I cant wait till Friday tho. As for Cartoon Network ive always liked it, and since Adult Swim ive liked it even better Family Guy and Futurama are way too cool!

8. amidalak

Oct 27, 2003
    Phfft, Luke had the same motivations for becoming a Jedi, and was TWICE as old as Anakin when he started his traning! And he... oh yeah... helped save the galaxy!

yes, but luke started his training closer to adulthood, allowing him to bring a little more perspective and maturity to his training. by the time luke gets to yoda, while impatient, he still has a sense of service to the rebellion that anakin doesn't seem to have to the republic. also, luke, until the final confrontation, has by and large avoided being tainted by the hand of palpatine, which i think is a huge difference.

9. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Jedi usually attain the rank of Master by successffully training a Padawan. If every trainer had to be a Master there probaly wouldn't be enough.

The problem in my oppinion is not that Anakin is too young. It's wrong to take people as babies and condition them from birth to be something they neverreally chose to be. And no, the factthat they can leave anytime doesn't fly. Who takes care of these children who don't want to be Jedi? Especially now that they're opened to the Force? you think the Council likes that idea? also they've been conditioned to be Jedi much of their life. They don't know how to be anything else. So, yes most Jedi never really chose to be Jedi. They just are. Don't hink GL is trying to portray a perfect system. He's not.

So the first problem is that the Jedi have a system like that set up in the first place. It steals the destiny of young children and puts it in the hands of parents

The second problem is that the Jedi weren't fit to raise an emotionally traumatized child like Anakin. They should have realized that. Their order preaches noconnections. How can you raise a child like Anakin in such conditions? The Jedi don't have parents(masters don't count, they are not the same as biological parents) . They cannot relate to Anakin. They can only provide him with rigid training not designed for children like him who have experiened slavery and family. No one considered this. He was raised in a cold, emotionaless, sterile environment. That provided him no comfort . The best Obi Wan could do was tell him to repress his feelings. Really healthy and easy Obi Wan. Easy for someone raised in an Order like the Jedi from the beginning.

Another problem is the fact that Anakin was not an adult. He couldn't possibly have the foresight an adult would have. That you did get right.

The solution would be to allow teenagers and young adults to train. They can commit willingly to the Force of their own accord, and consider the possible repercussions.

As for emotional baggage, it can't be repressed. You must teach the individual how to deal with it.

10. amidalak

Oct 27, 2003
    i don't know if i necessarily agree with all your points MT, but many of them are the reasons anakin should never have been trained as a jedi, and that his success in becoming a jedi (and remaining one) failed.

11. amidalak

Oct 27, 2003
    It steals the destiny of young children and puts it in the hands of parents

to a large extent, that happens anyway. no one has total control over their destiny, circumstance and environment always have their say.

12. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    He has his reasons for leaving the order... but that's episode III territory.

Anakin was a great Jedi, but like any tragic hero he had flaws that led to his downfall.

Anyone else catch the Geonosian fighter Anakin shot down? :D

13. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    I've heard many rebuttals, from "don't you believe that our parents dictate our future?" to "society decides what we are" . All true from an extent, but they all allow a certain amount flexibilty.

Being taken from birth and being raised in a sterilized and rigid environment is not he same. By no stretch of the imagination. It's tantamount to raising the perfect citizen in a state run environment. Something few would support in reallife.

It steals the destiny of young children and puts it in the hands of parents

14. amidalak

Oct 27, 2003
    that's why it's good that no one has the abilities in real life the force grants in our beloved star wars universe. our society couldn't handle it.

no, MS, i didn't catch that in particular, too caught up in the whole scene, going to look again right now. i'm so glad lucas and co. got this cartoon together, this is great!

15. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    to a large extent, that happens anyway. no one has total control over their destiny, circumstance and environment always have their say.

Not true at all. There's a different from being influenced by what you see, and being well...let's face it..indoctrinated by the state. Everyone has more control of their destiny thent hey like to believe. My mother is schizophrenic, I have obsessivecompulsive disorder, I'm upper lower class I live in a bad neighborhood, Yet I'm pretty muich all there still and i plan n studying to become a microbilogist. So far things are goung good for me. By your assertionthat none of us ghave complete control, what would you have predicted i would become? Severely mentally ill in an asylum perhaps? Final destiny belongs to us. None of us were raised from birth for onedestiny. Jedi are.

16. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Yeah no one in real life has those abilitiea. But if they did, the Jedi teachings of the PT era would not be thebest way to do deal with those individuals.

17. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Another cool detail, the Clone Captian (red) has two clips for his blasters on his bandolier. Take a look. :D It really adds more realism to the ARC Troopers. We've NEVER seen someone reload their blaster in the flims. :D

Edit: Also, the Clone Gunships are hung the same way TIE Fighters are inside of Star Destroyers. :D

More awesome by the second. :D

18. amidalak

Oct 27, 2003
    Final destiny belongs to us.

in the circumstances and environments we interact with. ;)

19. amidalak

Oct 27, 2003
    Another cool detail, the Clone Captian (red) has two clips for his blasters on his bandolier.

one more reason i can't wait until the red arc trooper action figure shows up in stores near me, i've got three of the blue/gray ones, now they need their leader!

i wasn't crazy about only 3 min. an episode, but man they have jammed in a lot in that time.

20. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Chapter 2 rocked! :D

I'm just a bit disappointed that the online version doesn't include the montage of the previous episode and the preview of tomorrow's episode. :(

OK, here's one of the things that I'm not 100% clear on, maybe somebody can help me with this: I always assumed that the Republic Gunships could only be deployed once inside a planet's atmosphere, since the main cargo area is essentially open-air. As depicted in the movie, the Republic Gunship shouldn't be able to fly in space... right?

21. amidalak

Oct 27, 2003
    i'm glad someone else noticed that, i was a little ticked when my cousin's husband said they were reviewing and previewing the previous and next shows on tv. wonder why they aren't doing that online ?[face_plain]

the Republic Gunship shouldn't be able to fly in space... right?

i think that is why when you see them fly out of the carrier ship they are pretty quickly shown from the side, with all the doors sealed up and assumingly airtight, showing us they are more capable then what we saw in the movie.

22. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    think that is why when you see them fly out of the carrier ship they are pretty quickly shown from the side, with all the doors sealed up and assumingly airtight.

I guess I didn't catch that detail... I guess there's just more to the Gunships than we thought we knew... ;)

23. Greymarch10

Greymarch10 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 30, 2003
    Chapter 2 was awful!

I am sorry, but I work for a living, and I consider myself a 21st century American. If you are going to offer a 3 minute cartoon each day, I expect some kind of important action, or some kind of resolution to each episode. The Clone troopers, landing on a planet, lead by Obiwan, doesnt cut it for a 3 minute cartoon, no matter what happens in the following cartoons. If Lucasfilm/Genndy are going to offer a short cartoon each DAY, even though it might be only 3 minutes long, there better be something exciting, or at least interesting, in each cartoon. That 2nd cartoon in the series was lousy.

The first cartoon, on a scale of 1 to 100, was a 82 for me. The 2nd cartoon was a 44. It better improve in a hurry.

I watched this cartoon with a dozen friends, and they all shared the same opinion. Action...plot...excitement...these things make Star Wars!

24. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Like how they re-enter the atmosphere without burning up, lol. How do X-Wings do it ;) Some pretty strong deflector shields!

This chapter reminded me of BlackHawkDown.

Love it when Obi-Wan's Gunship touched down and they all exit the craft, Kenobi lightsaber-ing up.

25. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Chapter 2 rocked! It did seem longer tha Ch. 1!

The ARC troopers are the coolest!

And I simply loved the way Obi-Wan put Anakin in his place, after Anakin's smug little look in Palpatine's office in Chapter 1, and his whine in Ch. 2 starting to compare Obi-Wan and Palpatine! I didn't get any hint of sarcasm from Obi-Wan, just a somber admonition about maturity. And a reminfer of the Forec, not simply adventures in flying!

And there is obviously a tremendous lack of maturity in Anakin, which persists till we see him in ANH! [face_shocked]

Does anyone know what the timeframe of the cartoons are? That is, when does Chapter 1 happen in relation to the battle of Geonosis and EIII?