main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Discussion - Clone Wars: Chapter 20 ("The Jedi's Final Hour") [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Grilled-Sarlacc, Apr 7, 2004.

1. NeoBaggins

NeoBaggins Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I went to work, had it recorded, and I have returned to watch....

General Grevous be hand'n out a$$whoopins like a muhfuh. Im sorry. There is no other way to convey this message. He was hand'n them fools they a$$es on a platter. He served that one cat so visciously I danm near broke the tape rewinding it. He tosses his saber, catches it, and then makes a hat out of dudes A$$!! If the general here is ANYTHING like in EP3, Lucas is once again, my Father. I hope the CLONEWAR people are helping him make the movie. These things are far better, hands down. This message will repeat throughout the forum.

2. Melancholy

Melancholy Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    No spoilers, that includes confirmations on things not in the film.

3. Malro_Bayok

Malro_Bayok Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2004
    I too think that the Clone Wars ROCKED!!! Suspense, action, AWESOME sound it has it all. I can't wait for the DVD release. Please let me know if anyone hears about a DVD release.

Did anyone else think that General Grievous was a prototype? The strength, speed and versatility of a droid with the mind of a Jedi?

Was General Grievous a Jedi or just a Sith? I would love to know the history of him.

4. Melancholy

Melancholy Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    You can read about Grievous at the official site.

He is now listed in the databank.

5. earlchinna

earlchinna Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2004
    I don't read spoilers, but I'm quite sure the three will be in ep3

6. earlchinna

Mar 17, 2004
    oooops excuse me I answered to a question of the first page, about ki-adi shaak ti and aylaa....

7. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Force Ghost star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    I have two questions about the chapter : at the begining the werewolf jedi was it Lak Sivrak and second with the arrested IG banking clan walk to the Cruisers with them was Nute Gunray what was he doing there ?

8. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    this is the best episode of the lot

9. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    KCWM, whether you like it or not, the Clone Wars cartoons are EU, and they are part of the same continuity as the books and comics. I definitely accept that there are people out there that don?t like the EU ? for the past two years, I?ve been a regular on soulofthejedi.net, which is one of the more purist (i.e. anti-EU) sites on the net. And finally, no one is telling you that you have to watch or read any of the EU. You can take as much or as little as you want. For those of us who do read the EU, I think that the majority likes continuity ? Dark Horse editor Randy Stradly keeps bringing up the question and getting the same answer. If you don?t like continuity, then you can ignore it.

10. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    Chapter 20 was awesome! :D
    Grievious kicks butt! I just went WOW when seeing it :p
    That one Jedi there being frightened, I'd be too [face_laugh]
    That chapter was awesome! The whole series rocked! I'm looking forward to it being on DVD :D
    And it is EU, it continues from Episode 2. :)

11. masterviper

masterviper Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2002
    The new character rocked.

Maybe it was just me, but did he remind you of voxxyn?

This is one of those why didn't they posts, so if you don't like it; skip my post.

I think there was a major continuity flaw.

Let's jump a head a few years. Think about Anakin Solo, he sacrificed his life to ensure the destruction of the Voxyn so that they wouldn't destroy every single Jedi.

These Jedi should have done the same. They had training and knew this better then Anakin would have. There were enough Jedi there to attempt to destroy themselves and him. The way they fought was so, unjedi-like. The straight up lightsaber to lightsaber approach wasn't working. They barely used TK, which in my opinon is extremely important for a Jedi.

12. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    In all the hubub about Grievous, I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the beginning of the episode.

A running theme in all Clone Wars stories - starting with AOTC - is how the Republic never really wins. Anytime the Republic wins, it loses.

On Geonosis, the Republic gained a "victory." Yoda corrcted Obi-Wan, saying the battle wasn't a victory, that the war itself starting represented a "loss."

On Naboo, Anakin and Padmé get married. A personal "victory" in some sense for them both, but also a decision that defies logic and could send them both to an inevitable doom.

In Republic #50, the Republic saved the cloning facilities on Kamino. Sure it was a "victory," but the location was now revealed to the Separatists, and those baby clones that were saved will end up enslaving the galaxy as stormtroopers a generation from them. So again, a win is really a loss.

In Republic #53, Obi-Wan returns to the Jedi Temple with the antidote to a nerve gas the Separatists cooked up to use on a moon of Naboo. Yes, the battle to get the antidote was won, but it came at the cost of several Jedi's lives.

And now, in the final chapter of the cartoon, we have an apparent victory for the Republic at Muunilist. But what really happened at this battle? Anakin got sidetracked and took a big step closer to the dark side. And Obi-Wan and Anakin also became aware of Grievous' presence, upping the ante in this war from where it was at before.

I love how Genndy told a story that fits in so seamlessly with the Star Wars overall style, as well as making a story approproite for this time in the overall timeline. It just worked perfectly for me.

13. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    But it just can't beat 19.

14. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    zoinks!! they killed shaggy, you bastards!!

But on a more serious note, I think that GG will serve a role the same role to Obi, that Jabba serves to Luke.

15. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    Even though GG rocked, he only killed 2 or 3 of the jedi, the rest lived. They should have made up some more Jedi for him to kill, that would have made him seem even more powerfull.

16. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    I wish that they had used the deeper GG voice that they used in the preview for season 2. It was mor evil and fitting.

17. earlchinna

Mar 17, 2004
    this episode (and the whole serie) was really great, it has a graet PT and OT-->SW feeling I think
    besides, I am french and I find hard to understand what grievous said as we don't hear really well and he has a special voice, so can anyone write his lines in this thread, it would be very cool
    thanks

18. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    Jedi!
    You are surrounded; your army is decimated. Make peace with the force now, for this your final hour, but know that I, General Grievous, am not completely without mercy.
    I will grant you a warrior?s death!
    Prepare!

19. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    The Jedi have their work cut out for them.

20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I wish that they had used the deeper GG voice that they used in the preview for season 2. It was mor evil and fitting.<<

Genndy says in the commentary that they were told by Lucas to use a higher pitched and gravely voice, since they wanted to avoid a Darth Vader-like sound.

>>at the begining the werewolf jedi was it Lak Sivrak<<

Nope, his name is Voolvif Monn.

>>and second with the arrested IG banking clan walk to the Cruisers with them was Nute Gunray what was he doing there ?<<

Wow- good catch! He was seen earlier in the Confederate command center, so I guess he got captured with everyone else afterall!

>> But at the same time...the average SW fan is not going to have read the comics and/or books...but will catch these cartoons<<

So? more fans probably also play the games than read the books and comics- doesn't make the games above the rest of the EU. Distribution has no effect on the levels of continuity.

>>introducing the directions that the CW cartoon took and then having the later EU come back and say "yeah well these things didnt happen how you think they happened because you didnt read this little books and comics" is going to alienate more fans than it is going to win over...<<

However, many of the directions you mention were done intentionally to conform the events of the books and comics (and films). If they wanted Anakin to strike Asajj down with his saber, they could have- but didn't because they knew they couldn't actually kill her. Ditto with Durge (he was supposed to have been shown alive at the end of the cartoon, but was cut for time purposes to itnroduce Grievous instead).

As for Shaak, Aayla and Ki-Adi's survival, one only has to look to the official cast listing for EP3 to see that they did not die. It's not the EU "dictating" that.

>>there are just as many people who feel that the whole EU is crap and isn't canon as there are people who do accept the EU<<

Just as there are just as many people who feel the clone wars cartoon is crap and isn't canon. Opinions don't matter in this situation- we are flat out told that the CW cartoons are part of the EU and is thus governed by the same continuity as the books and comics; ESPECIALLy in the case of the Clone Wars where the cartoon, comics, books and video games were specifically designed to be a part of the same multimedia campaign that tells the saga of the Clone Wars between Episodes 2 and 3.

21. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    >>and second with the arrested IG banking clan walk to the Cruisers with them was Nute Gunray what was he doing there ?<<

Wow- good catch! He was seen earlier in the Confederate command center, so I guess he got captured with everyone else afterall!

I doubt it was Nute Gunray, it could have been a random Neimoidian couldn't it?

22. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    I heard the commentary too. But I think that GG's voice just didn't fit him. I hop[e that it is deeper in Ep III. There are also ways to make his voice deep, yet stay away from Vader. I doubt it was Nute Gunray, it looks like he'll be free in Ep. III

23. earlchinna

Mar 17, 2004
    thanks ThrawnRocks!!
    wow grievous is really cruel!

24. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    Always glad to help out a SW fan in need.

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm pretty sure it was confirmed earlier that it was Nute Gunray in the earlier episode, so it's probably him in this one.