main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Discussion - Clone Wars: Chapter 20 ("The Jedi's Final Hour") [spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Grilled-Sarlacc, Apr 7, 2004.

1. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    I'm happy cos that was a kick-ass episode, I especially loved the Muunilinst parts. But I'm sad because....NO MORE CARTOONS!!!!!

2. cheetadogha

cheetadogha Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2003
    This episode has greatly rampped my anticipation for Episode 3 to finally come out. I thought what Grevious did was greatly impressive, the only appearent limit I saw was that it was in the cartoon format and so they couldn't really show all of the violence. My greatest wish between now and May nineteenth of '05 is that they possibly give him a bit more character development. I would hate it if he followed that same path that Darth Maul and Lord Nyax and a couple of other were forced to take.

3. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    Lord Nyax? oh yeah that new jedi order weirdo break from the vong guy...yeah he didnt last long did he...they put him in the wrong era if you ask me... would have been better suited pre-jedi order at some point to allow for more story on him. anyway.. i digress.

4. FredH

FredH Jedi Grand Master

Aug 6, 2003
    I'm gonna get reamed for this.

I've enjoyed the series, I really have. For the most part, its individual episodes have been deeply cool, and have frankly captured the Star Wars flavor better than the prequel films have.

But.

Taken as a whole, the _Clone Wars_ cartoon series has no story. It has major subplots that take center stage for two or three episodes--the Anakin/Asajj pursuit, the Clone Army vs Durge, the attack on Ilum--but it's ultimately just "several threads that happen during the Great Clone War." There's no central plotline, and there's no ending (other than, "Even worse danger we are in now. Hrm."). For me, this is a drawback.

That doesn't mean I didn't love this series: I did. I just wish it had been more unified.

5. twoguns

twoguns Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2003
    I've kept quiet about the Clone Wars cartoons for a long time, telling myself that it would get better near the end, but tonight's episode was the straw that broke the camel's back. The Clone Wars cartoons were the stupidest idea anyone has ever had. The five minute episodes were obviously aimed at 8 year old kids with ADD; heaven forbid that those of us with normal attention spans be entertained too. The "horrible new villian" turns out to be nothing more than a robotic monkey. We are lead to believe that he kills 3 characters that everybody knows are in the next movie anyway. The only people he really kills were introduced 5 minutes ago, like the guy in the red shirt on the old Star Trek episodes... everyone expected those guys to die anyway. Hardly "Changes the Star Wars Universe Forever", as it was advertised. The one saving grace the series had was that the animated Padme and Anakin were much better actors than Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman. I could actually watch them on the screen without wanting to claw my own eyes out. For all you fanboys that thought this was the greatest thing ever, you guys need to get out more... or at least go watch The Empire Strikes Back, and see what GOOD Star Wars stuff looks like.

6. dontkillyoda

dontkillyoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2003
    I think the negative folks fear his skills, or possible skills. Also that fact that he is CGI does mean that he can move exactly like the 2d drawing did fight wise. He isn't protien and real and confined to the same rate of speed and agility as us.

He will most likely move just as fast, just as limber, and just as cruel as he did in the cartoon.

Also remember in science class spinning a bike tire and trying to hold it. It was hard and it woobled all over the place. When Grevious spins like that I swear it must be very hard for a jedi to hold it off.

I really belive those ear muff help him center himself during the spin cycle.

I hope they show a jedi's wrist break in half in e3 defending against that. Man I was so on the fence with him. Not anymore!

Oh yeah and what the heck. I'll stand up! Empire is my favorite star wars film ever and I've been working on a sculpt of Yoda for 2 years in a row. Which means I watch Empire every couple of days and pause and frame advance the "Judge Me By My Size And Where You Should Not" routine on the malaysian 5 star dvd bootleg no less. I wore out the vhs version I had. I'm so much of a Star Wars geek that it isnt funny, and I thought Greivious was dumb. I dont no more. I think he is an advancement to the fighting styles of the saber, and a believeable reason for the extinction of the jedi. We havent even seen him using the blaster with the sabers. God this is way too much.

7. darthknight878176

darthknight878176 Jedi Youngling

Mar 4, 2004
    Hey twoguns, what do you think we are prequel fans only? Everyone knows the original trilogy are the best films of all time. The cartoons were just meant to wet the fans appetite for ep III. They weren't even really geared towards kids.

8. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    This episode rocks! The General was spectacular. I just loved the shot of all the Jedi cowering in fear when the General's sound just faded away.

9. attack_pattern_delta

attack_pattern_delta Jedi Youngling

Jan 11, 2003
    General Grevious is the "VegaMatic" for Jedi!!!!
    He slices and dices Jedi!

10. GhostPoet

GhostPoet Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2000
    AWESOME episode...but VERY sad. :( Especially when the female Jedi gets killed and the look on the other guys face...really tugged at a heart string. =(

11. DarthTravis

DarthTravis Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2004
    Wow. I must say, General Grievous was intense.

Did anyone else detect possible title hints at the end of the episode? Hm...

12. Celticsfan

Celticsfan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    "But I'm sad because....NO MORE CARTOONS!!!!! "

:( Me, too.

I really hope that they make more episodes later on.

13. aniperleo

aniperleo Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2004
    Bah! Simply amazing - made me join this board in a hurry - so is there a season three or is this a lil' teaser for Episode 3?

14. dvader654

dvader654 Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2002
    Wow the episode was great but i still have doubts on Grevious. Fine he has great skill with a lightsaber but he has no force powers. Whats stopping Mace from just crushing him like he did to the other droids, or just force choke him. I dont buy this whole "he is to fast for the jedi", we've seen Jedi do much crazier things than fighting one quick robot dude. If GG had force powers then he would be able to repel the force back at them, but he has no force powers, the jedi should be able to wipe the floor with him. Vader is the one that wipes out the jedi not this guy.

15. ImperialMarchFace

ImperialMarchFace Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    that ending with ki-adi and grievous was horrible. so its never explained how he dies. yeah, thats wonderful. that ending was absolutely terrible.

i also thought that grievous' voice was reeeeally cheesy

16. DarthShona

DarthShona Jedi Master star 5

Jul 29, 2003
    Vader is the one that wipes out the jedi not this guy.

Ditto to that!

17. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    But where's the conclusion?
    It's called EPISODE III!
    This was basically a teaser trailer for the next movie.

This is it. It's all downhill for the Jedi from here
    I know what you mean PEZman4, we've known that the jedi are wiped out...with only Yoda, Obi-Wan, 2 infants, and a handful of second tier jedi-wannabies :) (just kidding Mara fans)...but this is the part of the prequel area that is going to be a heartbreaker. The JEDI PURGE has begun!

Taken as a whole, the _Clone Wars_ cartoon series has no story. It has major subplots that take center stage for two or three episodes--the Anakin/Asajj pursuit, the Clone Army vs Durge, the attack on Ilum--but it's ultimately just "several threads that happen during the Great Clone War." There's no central plotline, and there's no ending (other than, "Even worse danger we are in now. Hrm."). For me, this is a drawback.
    GL even admitted that there just wasn't enough time to tell the entire story of the CLONE WARS in the films. So, they created this CLONE WARS mini-series, and various EU books and comics to cover as many subplots as possible...to better give fans a sense of the grand scale of this war. It doesn't hurt that CLONE WARS books and merchandise will but a few extra bucks in the Lucasfilm war chest (perhaps funding part of Episode III). I think it's great that the CLONE WARS isn't just about Anakin/Obi-Wan/Dooku and all the cast from the films, but gives even background characters a chance to get some time in the spotlight.

18. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    well its very cool to see more of him before the film..this is unprecedented..having a villian premier before the film like this...

Not really. Boba Fett was introduced in the cartoon that was part of the Star Wars Holiday Special :p

19. SqRoot443556

SqRoot443556 Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2004
    I could be mentioning something that has been mentioned, discussed, screamed about, and discarded by now but since I have seen neither hide nor hair of a mention of it here I go......

Could the 'living' portion of GG be what is left of Darth Maul?

Not saying I like the idea, but it's something I've not seen brought up.

20. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    That was a lousy ending!! What happened to Ki-Adi? Did he live or die?

EDIT: But outside of that ending (and I'm glad to read that Ki-Adi is suppose to make it out alive. How is the question.), the whole series rocked!

Those of you who are complaining have to understand that these were just moments/battles in a galactic war, a much bigger story.

21. Captain_Fett

Captain_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2002
    Spectacular chapter. I still think Chapter 19 was the best because of its drama, but this one is still right up there.

22. Alixen

Alixen Jedi Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    twoguns, im not sure weather to feel sorry for you, with how ignorant you are, or annoyed that you feel your opinion is fact, some of us enjoyed the prequels and the clone wars shorts, just because you didnt is your problem, not ours.
    I happen to think Hayden is a fantastic actor, while Natalie is so-so.

What do you mean trailer for the next film?
    First its only around a month into the Clone Wars so what happened to the next 1 and a bit years?
    Read the comics man, a lot more happens, its just an introduction to Grevious.

It wasnt as good as the rest but was still good :)
    It just felt like it was missing something, it felt... shallow, somehow

23. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    It was the best one of them all. I liked it a lot.

Moderate spoiler. Next one is a ban.

24. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Sqroot, my thoughts exactly. I laughed at the fanboys who claimed that Darth Maul was going to come back with a robotic lower half of his body....

It was actually the close-up of his eye that made me think "it's Darth Maul!"

I thought this episode was fantastic, I can't wait till the commentary version gets back up.

A couple scenes no mentioned: at the start, where that Wolfman guy is motionless, and the Republic ships fly onscreen behind him. Very cinematic, very cool.

The part where they were cheering seemed kind of hastily drawn or something to me.

One of my favorite frames of Chapter 20, if not the entire series is when the camera focuses on Grievous' back/white cape, and then focuses back until we see the crashed Republic ship surrounded by droids.

Grievous was so cool - I love the fact he switched the sabers to his hands, basically just because he could.

Also when he let go of his right-hand saber for a sec and then caught it again.

He did seem like some sort of ape or chimp, but he was totally robotic at the same time - I was surprised at how graceful he was!

BTW, if you check that "Battlefields and Generals" update from yesterday, it has all of the characters from Chapter 20, and tells you who lived and who died.

Although it's hard to see how Ki-Adi, Shaak Ti and Aayla (not to mention K'Kruhk!!) managed to escape Mr. Death Robot.

Sha'a Gi is DEFINITELY a take-off of Shaggy from Scooby-Doo, in case anyone was wondering.

Grievous is unstoppable! How could anybody take him out if 6 Jedi cannot?!?

25. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Could the 'living' portion of GG be what is left of Darth Maul?

It would be kind of hard to do that considering there's nothing left of Maul. That's what happens when you fall into a reactor pit. You know. It's hot and stuff down there. And Maul is down there. In a hot place. Has been for over a decade. Maybe Grievous could be composed of Darth Maul, if there was anything of Maul left.