main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Discussion -- Clone Wars: Chapter 4 (The Arrival of Durge) [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Errant_Venture, Nov 11, 2003.

1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I think that it's a little unbelieveable that he took out heavy weapontry with a lance...

2. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    HA! Yea, yeah, and it's real unrealistic that a "light sword" can melt metal like butter. [face_mischief]

It's a HIGH TECH UBER POWER lance if it makes you feel better. ;)

3. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Yeah, so far in the comics Durge hasn't had much reason to fear anyone, including Jedi.

4. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    doesn't matter... they're designed to go into battle, and take punishment...

5. BlazeLagoon

BlazeLagoon Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2000
    It's Star Wars for God's sake. None of it is believable.

6. Kirby_106

Kirby_106 Jedi Youngling

Nov 8, 2003
    yey i finally subscibed to HS!

7. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Love the series, can't stand Durge.

Nuff' said.

-Otis

8. Kreuzader

Kreuzader Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Agreed re: Durge, I can't wait for someone, anyone, to take him down a peg or 50.

Here's his intro from the comics btw for those who haven't had a chance to read them (that's poor ol' Kenobi he's got face-down in the muck):

[image=http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2003/03/img/durge_spotlight_bg.jpg]

9. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    [face_laugh]

To lagoon you lisen! :p

10. Chris Knight

Chris Knight TFN Humor Staff star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    Durge's bike looks he stole it from Lobo in DC Comics :p

11. JarJarIsBoba

JarJarIsBoba Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    I thought this was the best episode since Ep 1. The opening space battle was cool. I imagine the next movie starting like that but bigger. More clonetroopers advancing and showing their might. Finally, San Hill and his Muunilists enter as well as Durge. It was a bit over the top but I didn't really mind. I liked the fact that Durge and his IG dudes gave the clones a run for their money. I suppose it's the element of surprise. Can't wait till Obi meets up with the ARCs.

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Holy Heck - Durge stole Mick Fleetwood's dangly balls... :eek:

[image=http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2003/03/img/durge_spotlight_bg.jpg] [image=http://www.justdrums.net/fleetwood/fleetwood07.jpg]

13. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    I liked this Episode alot. I was like woah... IG droids.. my wife rolled her eyes at me....

Anyway, is it just me? or did Anakin take out a whole squadron of geonsian fighter himself? Yes I did notcie the podracer sound.. but did you also notice that the color scheme on his fighter is the same as the podracer?

I thought Durge could have looked cooler, but I think the idea here is to give him that "black knight" of the future appearance.. so it dindt bother me really.

So two things happen in this episode.
    1. Anakin thwarts a push by the geonsian fighters at the captial ships.

2. Durge Counterattacks the republic, kncoking out the artillary. This move also divides the forces of the Republic. This will slow the republic advance and allow the seperatists time for a larger counteroffensive.

Notice that a few clones actually DO notice Durge commming but bfore they even get their blasters raised, they are mowed down.

Those ARE some powerful lances. Apparently, they not only can slice through armor like butter.. but they also have some mean shock absorbers on those things. You see it stand the walker up? Some of you folks may not like something this new to be that drastic.. but I think its a neat way to make the clone wars seem like OLDER wars.

14. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    "Anyway, is it just me? or did Anakin take out a whole squadron of geonsian fighter himself?"

Yup, six to be exact. Or rather, we SEE six blow up. There were nine fighters in the group, so it's highly probable that he got them all.

"Yes I did notcie the podracer sound.. but did you also notice that the color scheme on his fighter is the same as the podracer?"

Of course, I read somewhere that the Jedi council didn't like that because it showed ties to his past life.

"I thought Durge could have looked cooler, but I think the idea here is to give him that "black knight" of the future appearance.. so it dindt bother me really."

Same here, he's sort of like the stereotypical "dude in spiky armor" that you see in a lot of fantasy/medieval movies, except WAY cooler. The worst "cheif henchmen" ever was in "Deathstalker and the warriors from Hell". A fabulous movie (by fabulous I mean terrible ;) ) done by MST3K. [face_laugh]

"So two things happen in this episode.
    1. Anakin thwarts a push by the geonsian fighters at the captial ships."

It was more of a meeting engagement by I get your point.

"2. Durge Counterattacks the republic, kncoking out the artillary. This move also divides the forces of the Republic. This will slow the republic advance and allow the seperatists time for a larger counteroffensive."

Yup, but lets not discount that those cannons did a tremendous ammount of damage in the time they were up.

"Notice that a few clones actually DO notice Durge commming but bfore they even get their blasters raised, they are mowed down."

Yup, not much you can do to shoot down bikes moving hundreds of miles per hour. And Genndy said the bikes were SLOWER than in RotJ. He wanted them to go even faster! :eek:

"Those ARE some powerful lances. Apparently, they not only can slice through armor like butter.. but they also have some mean shock absorbers on those things. You see it stand the walker up? Some of you folks may not like something this new to be that drastic.. but I think its a neat way to make the clone wars seem like OLDER wars."

It gives it a neat feel, sort honoring the "Knight" in Jedi Knight. This will be seen when Obi Wan takes on Durge. :D

On a side note, there are a few other things you can notice by careful observation.

1. The cannon blown up by the ARC Clones was the main defence cannon of the Banking Guild HQ.

2. The ARCs mission was to both destroy the cannon and sow misdirect by timing their detonation with a curtain of fire by the SPHA-Ts. This meant that the BG leaders thought that the cannon was destroyed by artilery fire and NOT commandoes (Hil says that the Republic cannons must have had larger range than they thought which isn't true it was a deception). This also means that the BG has no idea that a group of ARC commandos ARE SITTING RIGHT ON TOP OF THEM! :D

This will set up the storming of the Confederate HQ in another episode. :)

15. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Here's his intro from the comics btw for those who haven't had a chance to read them (that's poor ol' Kenobi he's got face-down in the muck)

The comics implied Durge could lay smackdown on Obi-Wan? That's worse than I thought. :_|

Oh well, maybe we shouldn't judge after just one episode of him.

16. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Uh, why? He cracked him over the head with a bola. It wasn't like he beat him in a lightsaber duel.

Obi Wan is always getting his butt kicked by someone, Vader, Maul, Dooku, Jango etc. ;)

Whether he wins or not later is another matter. [face_mischief]

AWESOME little thing guys! Check it out frame by frame! When Durge shoots at the Clone Trooper, take a close look. The first blaster shot doesn't hit the guy, HE SHOOTS THE GUN out of the troopers hand! The next two rounds hit his chest! At several hundred miles per hour! :D

Durge was just showing off. :eek:

17. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    I noticed that same trooper earlier in the episode shooting stuff. Would have been funny with the weilhem scream.

It did occur to me that the Episode 3 and 4 might be ahppening at the same time. IN otherwords we are looking at another part of the battle at the exact same moment as the clonetroopers doing their mission. Thus, the deception of the range of the republic artillary.

Ok All you folks that are waiting for JEdi action...your going to get it.. but your not allowed to be mad at Gendy for going with the underwater lightsaber... or else! :p

18. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    I'm already mad. [face_laugh] I'm assuming that I won't like the Kit Fisto chapter.

!snap

19. JarJarIsBoba

JarJarIsBoba Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    This also means that the BG has no idea that a group of ARC commandos ARE SITTING RIGHT ON TOP OF THEM!

Ha! :D Nice observation. Although it took watching the commentary to learn that the big explosion in Ep 4 was the same as the cannon explosion in Ep 3. I don't think the episodes made that clear. (EDIT - I wasn't following the dialogue real closely--so shoot me. :D)

Maybe Obi-Wan is meeting the ARCs at the Banking Clan HQ? :)

So, Durge may have won the ground battle but the Republic could win the war.

20. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    Good grief, I thought Durge was alright until I saw that comic pic was posted. I'm not so much into guys getting built up into ULTIMATE COOL BADASSES. How about a really cowardly bounty hunter who can barely fight that keeps bringing in bounties by being devious and back-stabbing? I think I'd rather see that than a doofus in cool-looking armor mowing down Jedi with one hand tied behind his back.

21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > This meant that the BG leaders thought that the cannon was destroyed by artilery fire and NOT commandoes (Hil says that the Republic cannons must have had larger range than they thought which isn't true it was a deception). This also means that the BG has no idea that a group of ARC commandos ARE SITTING RIGHT ON TOP OF THEM!

Oooh - good observation! :D

22. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    BTW, all that is confirmed in the commentary.

Nut, Anakin has kicked Durge's ass and obi wan is set to in an upcoming episode of the toon.

Btw, now sure if the lance pushed the AT TE up...the pilot might have reared it up on its legs to avoid Durge. If that's possible.

23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I *like* the fact that Durge is powerful, arrogant and overconfident. Because that's when it's most fun to watch the bad guys go down. :)

24. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Durge might have super powers. :p ;)

Snap, there's zero reason you should be mad. Paul Rudish already thought of a fix. The lightsaber has an extra crystal in it that is activating every time the first blade burns out, so it's not a continous stream, it's rapid fire.

But there are other examples of lightsabers working underwater as well. Like Splinter of the Mind's eye which Lucas worked on.

"Maybe Obi-Wan is meeting the ARCs at the Banking Clan HQ?"

That's going to be episode eight or nine I believe (I think it's nine).

"So, Durge may have won the ground battle but the Republic could win the war."

The ground battle isn't over yet. As I said before, he only took out a portion of the Republic ground forces.

25. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    On a historical note, the Republic artilery barrage reminded me of the Russian artilery barrages against Berlin. Nasty, nasty bisiness that was.