main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Discussion -- Clone Wars: Chapter 9 (Decapitation strike) [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by farraday, Nov 19, 2003.

1. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    There isn't anything Matrix about it, yet Neo does the same exact thing in the Matrix movies? Explain that one.

2. snap-hiss

snap-hiss Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2001
    I don't understand the Mulder thing.

Obi'll get him in the back of the neck!

!snap

3. snap-hiss

Aug 23, 2001
    Explain that one.

The exact same thing would be Obi Wan stopping the spikes in front of him, letting them hang there for a second, then dropping to the ground.

!snap

4. darcphoenyx

darcphoenyx Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    There isn't anything Matrix about it, yet Neo does the same exact thing in the Matrix movies? Explain that one.

Neo stops bullets mid-flight and then drops them to the ground, letting them levitate first. He completley controls every single bullet coming at him at once.

Obi-Wan merely does a force push to direct the spikes/bullets away from him, since he can't block a projectile with his saber. He simply alters their path so he doesn't get hurt.

5. Meatypants

Meatypants Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Actually, Vader isn't the only other Force user to absorb energy with his hand. Yoda did essentially the same thing with Dooku's Force electricity in AOTC.

Snap, snap! ;)

6. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    What it basically boils down to is that the Clone Wars creators need to stick with what is true to the films. If they want to go all innovative on us, I'm sure Lucas will let them write an EU novel.

7. snap-hiss

Aug 23, 2001
    There is a lot more to complain about other than Obi Wan blocking the spikes.

!snap

8. darcphoenyx

Aug 12, 2001
    What it basically boils down to is that the Clone Wars creators need to stick with what is true to the films.

Q: Since when has the EU stuck 100% to what we've seen in the films?

A: Never, not from day one.

The cartoons have attracted a larger audience than most EU projects...but this is no reason they should have more restrictions than other EU material.

Personally, I'll take an army of Durge clones over the "Dark Reaper" from the Clone Wars video game. But someone else might disagree with me. Such is the nature of the EU, pick and choose what you like, reject what you don't.

9. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Lets not turn this into a EU/canon debate. Well....

[image=http://www.introwebnet.com/forums/images/smiles/deadhorse.gif]

....you know.

10. darcphoenyx

Aug 12, 2001
    Okay, then perhaps if I quote the second half of your post you'll better understand what I'm getting at...

If they want to go all innovative on us, I'm sure Lucas will let them write an EU novel.

..no dead horses around here...I'm just pointing out that the cartoon is EU...and just because you've chosen to watch it doesn't mean it should meet some different standard.

11. MexChewie

MexChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    If it was truly a Matrix copy, Obi Wan would say "Whoa" or "I know Jedi-Fu." :p

12. Drath

Drath Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 1998
    Come on now, blocking the spikes was a minor thing. I still liked the idea that Obi Wan deflected all of Durge's attacks, and not just blocking blaster fire with his lightsaber.

I thought Tetsuo-Durge worked as a Star Wars Monster better than a Boba Fett stand in. And that's good, right? He's something a little different to Star Wars. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but a decent enough threat for 3-6 minutes. But I'm glad if this is the end of Durge on the cartoon.

However, I will feel cheated if we never see Ventress's death in this medium. Uh, assuming the plan is to kill her in the pre-episode 3 era.

13. -_-_-_-_-_-

Apr 28, 2002
    Okay, then perhaps if I quote the second half of your post you'll better understand what I'm getting at...

If they want to go all innovative on us, I'm sure Lucas will let them write an EU novel.

..no dead horses around here...I'm just pointing out that the cartoon is EU...and just because you've chosen to watch it doesn't mean it should meet some different standard.

Like I said....

[image=http://www.introwebnet.com/forums/images/smiles/deadhorse.gif]

14. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    So what? Who cares how Obi stops them. We saw Yoda stop lightning, obsorbing and defelcting. We saw Vader deflect blaster bolts. So Obi delfecting bullets and blater bolts is right there as a SW effect. And like was said. He deflected them, not stop them in their tracks and drop them. It is not like Neo in Reloaded. Different. Deflecting, stopping. Geez like theres is a rule or something.

I personally like Durge. Think he is cool. At least he does not go out like a chump like Boba fett. At least he puts up a fight.

15. darcphoenyx

Aug 12, 2001
    Nevermind then, -_-_-_-_-_-, you're obviously not seeing the flaw in your logic and are far more enamoured of your animated .gif than any sort of discussion.

16. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Please stop having Obi-Wan stop blaster bolts, fire, etc with his hand. This isn't The Matrix for the sake of all things holy and he sure the hell isn't Neo. In Star Wars, the Jedi use their lightsabers to deflect blaster shots. The creators need to go do a Matrix animated mini-series if they can't come to terms with that.

Um... Vader did it.

And Vader did it before the Matrix, so if anything, the Matrix copied SW

17. GhostPoet

GhostPoet Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2000
    I don't know why some people don't like Durge. He's an excellant bad guy character. A creature made up of thousands of nerve clusters, nearly destructable. A great idea.

18. augusto

augusto Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    I like Durge now that he's revealed to be much more than a bounty hunter. When I first heard about this character, and saw his comic book design I didn't like it since we've had better bounty hunter characters before.

But now, he's an active participant in the Clone Wars, and it turns out he's a monster like alien with super regenerative powers, now that's a nice addition to the Star Wars Universe.

He also served his purpose, which was to show why Obi Wan deserves the rank of general and why he's such a great Jedi Knight.

19. TheChosen1

TheChosen1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I actually don't like that lightsabres are shown sticking in stuff. They would burn their way out. I guess its ok if Obi Wan was holding it in the droideka with the force before pulling it out. Also, Durge is all thick and has tough armor, so maybe a sabre would stick in there for a little while.

20. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I think fans are used to characters with some kind of purpose...being just another "nearly INdestructable killing machine" really doesn't make for a good character.

I could understand the darts...but I think the use of the "talk to the hand" jedi defense was being overdone a bit!

21. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    It was only done a few times. unlike the bullet time effect in The MAtrix was done in every scene in that trilogy. Way overdone. wb

22. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    ''Seems I've created quite the mess now, haven't I?''
    ''Yes sir.''

Hilarious!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

23. AAMD11

AAMD11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2002
    I dont know if OB1 could surpass Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon was a pretty skilled Jedi, just a head on one. I wish Qui-Gon would of at least stayed till Episode 2 to see how he and Dooku would encounter each other. Today is the last day of episodes for a while :(

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> However, I will feel cheated if we never see Ventress's death in this medium.<<

Well, since we know she shows up after the cartoon in the comics, the only way that'll be likely is if we get a new season of shorts that take place closer to Episode 3 and after any comics that feature Ventress.

25. Nebucchad

Nebucchad Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Sweet episode.

Anyone noticed when Obi puts his hand on red Arc clonetrooper's shoulder? Nice touch.

He cares for his troops. :)