main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Discussion -- Clone Wars: Episode 8 (Obi-Wan vs. Durge) [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by dp4m, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Celticsfan

Celticsfan Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2003
    "...I thought that Obi-Wan recognized Durge right away! Like, the moment he saw Durge in his electrobinoculars, he didn't go "Holy whack, what in the Force is that thing?" He just said with a grim face, "Mount up," as if he knew what was coming..."

Yeah, I noticed that.

It definitely seemed like he recognized Durge as soon as he spotted him.

2. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Also, Obi wasn't like "HOLY CRAP MY SABER DIDN'T KILL THAT GUY!"

All he did was raise an eyebrow.

Obi Wan: "Crap, why won't this loser just die?"

That's a possible interpretation. It can go either way. ;)

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >Is there a complete time-line anywhere that covers everything "Clone Wars" related (comics, cartoon, novels, ect.)?<<

TOS has a decent Clone Wars timeline under their Clone Wars section, however, I've been assembling the Ultimate AOTC & the Clone Wars Timeline, which includes summaries and exact daing, but also has a general sources listing in it, check it out in this thread:

The Ultimate AOTC & The Clone Wars Timeline:
    http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=9386719

Some entries have not yet been posted (such as the clone wars cartoon) but they will be shortly (next ypdate will include all of the cartoon and some other sources)

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > Yes please keep ep 3 spoilers away. I wish there was some sort of statement like that on the main page of this part of the forum.

From the forum sticky thread " Welcome to the Small Screen Star Wars forum "

As is the case in all forums on these boards, this forum is designated as "spoiler free" for any information regarding Episode III. Due to the nature of the [i]Clone Wars Animated Shorts[/i] though, discussion of the events of the cartoon with relations to known EpIII events are allowed in [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=10664190]this thread[/link], and this thread only in the forum. Any posting of spoilers outside of this thread will be dealt with harshly. All other discussions relating to spoilers should be held in the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/board.asp?brd=10331]Episode III (Spoilers Allowed)[/link] forum. If this becomes a problem, all discussion relating to spoilers will be moved to the Episode III (SA) forum. [hr][/blockquote]

How strictly that's enforced (ie. not even allowing certain character names to be posted) is up to [b]dp4m[/b], though I've been deleting or masking some of the more blatant info that's slipped into the threads here.

5. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Excellent episode. The Durge and Obi Wan fight was sweet.

Though it still can't beat episode 7.

6. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Hey hey, I didn't say a word. ;)

7. Celticsfan

Sep 26, 2003
    Awesome!

Thanks for the link, The2ndQuest. It looks to be very useful. :)

8. starbird2273

starbird2273 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2003
    Thanks, jp.

so are things like my post on page one allowed? or should I avoid stuff like that all together?

9. masterskywalker

Nov 2, 2001
    Stuff from the commentary:

The jousting bit was one of the first conceptual diddies they showed Lucas.

They added the additional shots of the Clones and IG droids fighting later on. Origionally it was just Obi vs Durge.

They "beefed up" the speeder bike sound for Durge's swoop.

Orgionally, Obi Wan was going to wear the armor and helmet of one of Palpatine's Royal Gaurd to make him stand out. :eek: Lucas nixed the idea though, so they stuck him in Clone armor.

The sky is painted, but they used a ripple effect to make it seem like its moving.

Durge is still alive.

10. Darth_Ponderous

Darth_Ponderous Jedi Master star 1

Jan 18, 2003
    Not bad once Obi-Wan and Durge got into it. The whole jousting thing with the clones didn't do much for me, but once it was Jedi vs. alien bounty hunter I was able to really enjoy. Of course the standard "it was too short" complaint is still in effect, but some clone wars is better than no clone wars.

BTW-Durge's laugh=very very evil

11. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    That was a great episode!!!

It may even take the place of Chapter 3 :eek:
    I geuss I enjoy those two chapters equally.

Now downloading commentry version.

12. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    It definitely seemed to me like Obi-Wan recognized Durge the moment he saw him.

I thought it worked pretty well too, but he seemed suprised at the lightsaber thing.

Is there a complete time-line anywhere that covers everything "Clone Wars" related (comics, cartoon, novels, ect.).?

The Unofficial Clone Wars Site. There's one at my site too, but its outdated and uses a funky dating system. I hope to have a new version up very soon.

13. Celticsfan

Sep 26, 2003
    Thanks, PEZman4. :)

Proceeding to check them out now...

14. Max_Powers

Max_Powers Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2003
    I dont think they ever say in any Star Wars movies that Obi-Won is an exceptional Jedi, yet he seemed to take out Durge pretty quickly. Yet in the Bio of Durge, and Im also gathering from people's comments on the comics, that Durge takes out a decent number of Jedi. How can he be killing Jedi when he had such trouble with the unexceptional Obi-Won? Obviously he did pretty well though. Maybe he could do better but he fights with wreckless abandon because he knows he will regenerate later. One great thing about Star Wars and Jedis is that it gives an explanation for a hero owning all his enemies, rather then the Rambo/Steven Seagal model where a regular dude is able to take out 20 guys at once in a movie supposadly based in reality.

As a side note, one good thing about the brevity of these episodes is it kind of adds a bit of realism to the fighting, as was sort of adopted in AOTC. It seems a bit more realistic that a duel should not last 10 minutes, but should be short and sweet. If anyone saw Kill Bill that movie also adopted the quick resolution to the duel between Oren(Lucy liu) and Black Mamba(Uma Thurman).

15. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    Awesome episode! :) So good to see General Kenobi in action!

sg

16. darcphoenyx

darcphoenyx Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    Man, that sucks...I completely forgot to turn the TV on because I was busy doing other things.

Oh well, guess I'll see it tomorrow morning.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    And Durge did not just use light-gauntlets as I envisioned for my now-defunct fan film project!!!!!!!

Those are NOT NEW. Those are straight out of the Kilian Rangers, a Force-sensitve ranger group confined to Kilia IV... ;)

And no Episode III spoilers (this includes names) of any kind. I edited the post in question.

18. amidalak

amidalak Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2003
    I dont think they ever say in any Star Wars movies that Obi-Won is an exceptional Jedi, yet he seemed to take out Durge pretty quickly.

i think since obi wan and yoda are the only 2 jedi to survive the so called "jedi purge," and obi wan is the guy who takes down the chosen one, it's kinda implied that he is an exceptional jedi.

this chapter was great, jedi vs. bounty hunter, does it get any better? my fav chapter so far, but i'm biased, obi wan is my favorite star wars character!

19. starbird2273

starbird2273 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2003
    sorry, dp. I had seen similar methods used on some of the other chapter pages. And I hope I didn't spoil anyone hoping to remain spoiler free...

20. Chris Knight

Chris Knight TFN Humor Staff star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    Amazing. Simply, utterly amazing.

No, not tonight's Clone Wars chapter. It's just amazing that this thread has gone on for three pages... without a single Monty Python joke! :)

Obi-Wan: "Look you silly sod, your arm's off."
    Durge: "Just a flesh wound!"

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    "Come back... I'll bite your leg off!"

22. DarthPalpidious

DarthPalpidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2003
    Seeing Obi-Wan totally dominate Durge was complete awesome. After reading Durge's entry in the OS Databank, I knew he wouldnt go down so easily. I loved how they depicted him getting sliced up to show his internals. Amazing episode.

23. honour

honour Jedi Master star 3

Jul 13, 2003
    The only thing "unexceptional" are sith and sith worshippers.

Obi-Wan rocks: He's not only an extraordinary and exceptional Jedi; he is an extraordinary and exceptional individual.

Great episode.

24. SithLord34

SithLord34 Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2003
    I enjoyed tonights episode throughly, it was nice to see Obi-Wan finally get into some of the action even if Durge comes back with all his limbs intact.

25. DarthPalpidious

DarthPalpidious Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 14, 2003
    Just listened to the commentary version on the OS and nothing major was revealed. A few scenes were added and the smoke in the background doesnt actually move. Other than that, nothing major in my opinion.