main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Official Discussion: Clone Wars Season 3 [Chapter 23: The Hero with No Fear Unleashed] (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by masterskywalker, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    As for the Anakin Trial question. Anakin has been physically tried yes, but not spiritually. Anakin OFFICIALLY is a Jedi Knight, but he didn't go through the spirit trial, that's what he's undergoing on Nievaan

My thoughts exactly. Obi wan is just going with this like Qui Gon would, trusting in the moment

Continuity is kind of hard for me to figure out, but not impossible to imagine. The battle of Coruscant can have a very flexible timeline so I'm not worried about that. Grevious attacking Palpatine's office is spot on, and obviously they don't have time to explain the underground tunnels connecting "The Works" to the Senate district...so I'm cool with that, it was really cool to witness a cool part of Labrynth of evil in animated action. (With slightly different Jedi present of coarse, but that's ok too..Stass Ali would have been cool to see though.)

Here's what I have trouble with, Obi Wan and Anakin are supposed to be looking for Darth Sidious about this time. But the Clone Wars volume makes them more concerned about Grevious. Anakin and Obi should have been done with the trail BEFORE Coruscant was attacked..and who knows..maybe they are..maybe its just a way of Cramming things together..but it sure seems like a "Meanwhile back on Coruscant" type format.

Now I might be mistaken but isn't there supposed to be TWO battles for Coruscant... Perhaps this is the first? That would make everything OK..except then by LOE everyone would already know the Chancelor was Grevious target.

It doesnt look like we will get to see MAce fight Grevious on a MAgna-train, but oh well

Anyway..awsome episode

Afterthought edit: The talz and the Ithorian are in LOE. The other Jedi that see action against grevious include Stass Ali, an unnamed Twilek Female Jedi (not Aayla), an unnamed human.

2. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Good episode.

Re: LoE

Okay, yeah, Obi and Ani were supposed to be elsewhere but at the moment nothing says that the two scenes are happening at the same time so that's how I'll retcon it. :)

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The best part of the episode for me was hearing those Jedi starfighters make the characteristic TIE screech.

4. Skywalk272

Feb 16, 2000
    Guess that's good enough for me too then Sidious :)

5. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Damn that chapter was crazy! *applause*

6. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    So far I see no reason why the Obi-Wan & Anakin stuff can't be taking place at a totally different time than the Coruscant stuff.

*crosses fingers for the next 2 days*

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Great stuff on Coruscant tonight. Sort of dragged with Anakin and Obi-Wan, but I'm sure it'll pick back up tomorrow.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It probably is taking place earlier than the eiting of these chapters implies- similar to how Chapters 6 and 7 takes place months before Chapter 1.

>> 2ndQuest, here I always thought you liked the PT.<<

I enjoy the PT actually, but recognize they are flawed in one way or another (specifically TPM's disconnectivity to the rest of the saga and AOTC's editing/love dialogue) and lacking a certain energy compared to the originals.

Still I like the overall framework, and they are still rather entertaining and have provided the groundwork for some excellent stories in the EU and I do have high hopes for ROTS finally giving us the fourth film of the SW Trilogy ;)

9. R24d20

R24d20 Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2004
    frigggan sweeeet! very many little touches make this season way cool.nice to see mace and yoda side by side.i really like the obi coment about women and children. ya think ani felt a little tusken guilt?
    tin is a badass. space is great the size of the battle was great.palp was cool at the end.these shows really make me want it to be 11:59 may 18. word!

10. DarthFlatulence

DarthFlatulence Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    CL23 was a great payoff for all these years of waiting for another great Star Wars screen story. I believe the best scene in the whole chapter was of that lone Clone Trooper kickin' butt while waiting to meet his destiny. Even though the action was fast paced, you actually had time to care about the character, and even wince in your heart as you realize that he's about to get whacked. Screen angles and shaky camera action was smart.

Then, there was Yoda finally getting to show how powerful a Jedi could be. You had hints of Jedi power and ability in the swamps of Dagobah in ESB. Then, you saw a bit more in AOTC. The SW comics and expanded universe hinted that Jedi could even cause stars to supernova. But Yoda really kicked some tail! Now here is something to think about; if Anakin has more midichlorians than Yoda, just think about how powerful he could have been! Maybe Palpatine was right ("I forsee you becoming more powerful than any Jedi, even Master Yoda")

This is the first time that i've seen General Grevious in action. The way he looks and moves, especially during the ambush in Palpatine's office, is reminiscent of Alien. Very creepy. He is another character that I would like to see developed in ROTS. To bad that just like Maul, he's gonna get whacked before the end of the movie.

11. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Chapter 23 was cool!

I really liked the action on Corruscant, although the Jedi's Force ability is pretty weak if Yoda in mediation didn't see those ships until they were right outside his window! The SITH are indeed stronger! [face_devil]

The stuff with Anakin and Obi-Wan seems to be a long way to go for Anakin just to face the "mirror" trial. I hope the pay off is worth it.

I also really liked how that Clone Commander held his own, using everything he had to take out those Supers until Yoda came to his aid. The thing with Mace made me laugh, especially the part with the rear gunner! Mace must love purple too! ;)

The ending was the best part! Shaak Ti looked like she was gonna wet herself when she heard Greivous's foot steps! You have to give it up to Palpatine, he's playing the Jedi like fiddles!

I haven't read the new book, it's on my "to do " list, but those of you who have realize that there's no continuity errors being made, right?! I mean if the books and comics were to be followed as Cannon, then Boba Fett is really Jaster Mereel, and not a Clone of Jango! One thing you can count on, is you can't count on anything that isn't done by GL. So stop having cows whenever the cartoon disregards what you've read. Chances are that they haven't read whatever it is you're spazzing out about. Just sit back and enjoy is my advice! :D

"Hibernation trance",....hahahahahahahaha!!!!! [face_laugh]

12. neojedi18

neojedi18 Jedi Knight

Feb 28, 2005
    I posted this in another topic, but thought it was relevant.

Although I loved chapter 23, there are already continuity problems. Shaak Ti goes with Stass Allie to get Chancellor Palpatine - I distinctly remember one of them tackling Palpy to get him to come with them. Also, he was guarded by Red royal guards, not blue ones, although this is minor - I loved reading about the red guards fight though, it was really cool in the book.

Another thing Clone wars left out is the presence of Palpatine's cadre of advisors in the room with him, who later become the Imperial Council - Sate Pestage and Isard for example. And no, the dialogue is totally different in Labyrinth of Evil. Grievous' ship rises by the window, which is smashed in, and Stass Allie fights off battle droids that jump in as Shaak gets Palps away. Republic gunships come in and drive Grievous away, he never enters the room. They then decide to take the hovertrain to the bunker.

At this point Padme is with Bail Organa and Mon Mothma, helping the civilians battle vulture droids in walking mode.

Then comes the train scene, where Mace duels and defeats grievous, sending off the train, while Kit destroys some of Grievous' magnaguards. Palpatine is then taken by gunship to the bunker, accompanied by a male human jedi,a female twi'lek jedi, and Roron Corobb and Foul Moudama - they were never int he chancellor's office scene, as this is the first time they appear in the novel. Shaak and Stass then leave to fight in the ground battles.

Grievous then sneak attacks - and after all the red guards are killed, The ithorian, talz, human, and twi'lek Jedi are all that are left to defend palpatine....

That said, this was a fun, stripped down interpretation of the events.

13. GhostHand

GhostHand Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2005
    This was a mixed bag for Yoda. I must agree that I was a little shocked that Yoda didn't know to the very end that Couruscant was under attack. Maybe b/c it was droid fighters, and not living beings.

But then what he did to entire droid regiments!!!

Also when do you think the tribal Anakin icon will be available, that everyone is going to switch to?

14. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Anyone else want to give away more parts of the new SW book? :eek:

How about endings to movies?
    Old Yeller dies, Travis shoots him.
    The Titanic sinks and Jack freezes and drowns.
    Bruce Willis's character is really dead, and he's a ghost.
    Kevin Spacey's character is Keyser Soze.
    "Those we must not speak of", are the town elders.
    Sidious is.....

Sorry, don't mean to be mean, but c'mon, this thread is about the cartoon episode, not the book or if the stories continuity is being damaged! [face_plain]

15. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    "Tribal"...

Why did it have to be "Tribal"?

But, at least all that leech-snot fades out by the time of ROTS; hopefully before Chapter 24 ends.

lol

16. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    AH! Can't find any Commander Cody pics. Was that him in this episode that was shooting those droids like crazy on Coruscant?

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>but c'mon, this thread is about the cartoon episode, not the book or if the stories continuity is being damaged!<<

However, since this cartoon is adapting events from the novel, it is relevant discussion.

18. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    >Anyone else want to give away more parts of the new SW book?

How about endings to movies?
    Old Yeller dies, Travis shoots him.
    The Titanic sinks and Jack freezes and drowns.
    Bruce Willis's character is really dead, and he's a ghost.
    Kevin Spacey's character is Keyser Soze.
    "Those we must not speak of", are the town elders.
    Sidious is.....

Sorry, don't mean to be mean, but c'mon, this thread is about the cartoon episode, not the book or if the stories continuity is being damaged! <

Hear, hear!!!

More:

Rosemary's bady's father is the Devil.
    Tyler Durden is Jack's alter ego.
    Dantes is The Count of Monte Christo.
    That guy in Memento... well, who know's what the hell he did? And who cares?

Key to this is "Who cares, at least in this thread?"
    Ya savvy?

19. Skywalk272

Feb 16, 2000
    I suppose I was inconsiderate..next time I will post a warning..sorry.

20. cygnusjedi1

cygnusjedi1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2003
    great episode!

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Anyone else want to give away more parts of the new SW book?<<

It was released at the end of January, so technically no spoiler warnings are needed, though I imagine one could still label them out of curtesy.

22. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I liked this epsidoe a lot, and let me tell you. Star wars is great for animation. You never know, we may never get to see star wars like this, again after this season is over. Just because there might be more animation does not mean it is going to be the same.The animation is cool, and so far we have seen more action in 1 hour and 36 minutes or 38, if you count the 2 extra minutes of Episode 20 than we have seen in almost 10 hours of the 5 star wars movies. We've seen more action in different enviorments and it just keeps getting better and better. With 24 minutes left with Chapter 24 and 25, this could be some of the best star wars ever.

23. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Sad to say second disappointing epsiode in a row for
    me. Maybe less is more. The Coruscant stuff was good.
    Mace in his purple fighter and all. This whole Anakin/
    Obi-Wan story has been less than stellar. All over
    the place. A snow planet full of Tiki men? They
    need to stop spiking the Kool-Aid over at Cartton
    network. If the next two episodes don't pick it up
    several notches I'll personally consider the Clone
    Wars Season two or Volume three or whatever a
    colossal waste of time and huge disappointment,
    IMHO.

Ch. 21 ** 1/2
    Ch. 22 **
    Ch. 23 **

24. Darth_Ponderous

Darth_Ponderous Jedi Master star 1

Jan 18, 2003
    When Obi-Wan said, "women and children" it showed anakins face, with a shadow across it, for a few seconds, as if he was remembering the tusken slaughter.

Good call on that one. Even though the side mission of Anakin and Obi Wan seems a bit out of place, it does allow for them to be out of the way to make the various EU lead ins work together a bit more.

And Yoda and Windu taking it to the invasion force was completely off the hook. I'd would've liked to have seen more of that, but even a little is better than nothing.

25. Skywalker_Savior

Skywalker_Savior Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2004
    anyone else think of Mace's fate in Episode 3 during the part in the episode when Mace's fighter was destroyed and he went diving down into the city thousands of feet below.