main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

There is a big issue in the ROTJ novelization- When Ghost Obi-wan is explaining the how Anakin became Vader and why he took Luke to Tatooine he states Owen Lars is His Brother not Anakin's Step Brother

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Gemma like this.
  2. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Knew I forgot something major.

3. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    ROTS novel is quite different from the actual movie.

The entire Sith bait from Sidious to Anakin doesn't really have much to do with his fear of Padme dying. Instead Sidious promises him wealthy power - "you want that building. How about that speeder?" Anakin, in all of his flaws, never seemed to be greedy for materialistic things. It's just silly.

And Qui-Gon talks to Yoda! It's not in the movie, even though it was a cut scene.

I think the movie novels fall in the Legends category.

4. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I really hope not. I hope they just add errata.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Which is why he turns them all down:

"I—can't. . . I can't just... leave..."
    "But you can."
    Anakin couldn't breathe. He couldn't blink.
    He sat frozen. Even thought was impossible. "You can have every one of your dreams. Turn aside from the lies of the Jedi, and follow the truth of yourself. Leave them. Join me on the path of true power. Be my friend, Anakin. Be my student. My apprentice."
    Anakin's vision tunneled again, but this time there was no light at the far end. He pulled back his hand, and it was shaking as he brought it up to support his face.
    "I'm sorry," he said. "I'm sorry, but—but as much as I want those things—as much as I care for you, sir—I can't. I just can't. Not yet. Because there's only one thing I really want, right now. Everything else will just have to wait."
    "I know what you truly want," the shadow said. "I have only been waiting for you to admit it to yourself." A hand—a human hand, warm with compassion—settled onto his shoulder. "Listen to me: I can help you save her?''
    "You—" Anakin blinked blindly. "How can you help?"
    "Do you remember that myth I told you of, The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?" the shadow whispered.
    The myth—
    ... directly influence the midi-chlorians to create life; with such knowledge, to maintain life in someone already living would seem a small matter...
    "Yes," Anakin said. "Yes, I remember."
    The shadow leaned so close that it seemed to fill the world.

"Anakin, it's no mere myth."
    Anakin swallowed.
    "Darth Plagueis was real."
    Anakin could force out only a strangled whisper.
    "Real... ?"
    "Darth Plagueis was my Master. He taught me the key to his power," the shadow said, dryly matter-of-fact, "before I killed him."

6. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I found myself wondering the other day, not of the EU, but of the opening crawl of the movies. One of the staples of the Star Wars movies has been
    1. No opening credits (i.e., "A Blanketyblank Film" "A YoMama Production" "Brought to you by Whosama Whatchit")
    2. The opening crawl
    So, now that we've got Mr. Bad Robot himself at the helm and "We wanna rewrite even history, just look at Pocahontas" Disney backing him, will that whole thing be out the window?

7. TommyDawnbounder

TommyDawnbounder Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2014

This! I, personally find myself nitpicking what i consider canon when i read the comics. Somethings just doesn't make sense. For an example the comic Jedi: Yoda where there are this padawan who talks to Yoda like Yoda is dirt. That's just dumb i my opinion.
    But i also wish that they continue to write new stuff to this ''legends universe'' instead of just quitting and start writing according to Disneyverse.

Kev-Mas_Colcha and Runjedirun like this.
  8. Qall

Qall Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2014
    A lot of articles and information has come out since OP. At first I didn't like the idea of the EU being dismissed, largely because the link in the OP is written by someone who clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.

But after seeing how and why Disney have decided to do what they have chosen to do, I'm open to the idea of how they intend to rebuild the Star Wars Universe in this new generation. It doesn't matter what is being done, what matters is if it is done well, imo.

http://insidepulse.com/2014/05/16/d...ded-universe-ends-to-make-way-for-a-new-dawn/

Kev-Mas_Colcha and Runjedirun like this.
  9. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I was really looking forward to reading The Sword of the Jedi series. I wonder since the first 3 books of that series have been actually written --- if we, the fans, will have a chance to maybe read them as 'Kindle' versions.

From AnakinColodin:
    Thanks for bringing this is --- my Mom and I have had countless arguments about this.

Abadacus and Kev-Mas_Colcha like this.
  10. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I would have been excited about the trilogy if it wasn't written by Christie Golden. I did not like her style at all in FOTJ, but even so I would have given them a chance. Where did you hear that they were already written?

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  11. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    The following website : https://www.goodreads.com/series/102874-sword-of-the-jedi
    But I am not a member of goodreads.com and I have heard that once you join they pester you about wanting results. I like to read things at my own pace, plus I would really like to have the Kindle versions for my tablet. I think this website was an indication that Christie Golden has alread finished the first three books. I could be wrong.

12. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    As far as I know it was just a trilogy to begin with, not a series beyond that. Curious those links are.

13. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Too bad about the cancellation. Might have been interesting.

I suppose I now have a chance to finish all of the LU novels though. I estimated I only have about twenty left. Six of those are FotJ.

14. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I was hoping if I put the link out here - that maybe someone is a member of that Goodreaders thing and would let us know if you join that you'd actually be able to read the books.

15. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    no, you wouldn't. it's just listing things that you'd want to read, and reviews from people that have read them. basically it's a social site for people that read books, and want to keep track of them and what their friends have read.

16. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Star Wars belongs to the fans. When I was a kid in the 80s, the adventures I told with my action figures didn't contradict the films or the Marvel comics. Officially they weren't canon, even though the stories had no continuity errors. But as a fan I recognised that GL has given us a sandpit to play in and as far as I was concerned, those stories I told WERE canon. Who could stop me? I think it's the personal canon of each fan that's important, not what some suit tells us what happened or not. Similarly 30 years later I find myself in the same position. Although I don't play with my action figures anymore, there are many stories out there told by others in novels and comic books that don't contradict the films or TV shows. In my mind, those stories will remain canon until the day they are contradicted by the new films, tv shows and books. Until then, Jaxxon lives and Han Solo and Chewie had adventures at Star's End.

17. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Another thing: Anybody know if they're going to still finish Legacy Volume 2?

18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    no. dark horse is losing the comics, so whatever is listed on the wook is pretty much going to be it.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Issue 18 will wrap Legacy up. The current 5 parter ends this this month so three more issues and will end in August.

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  20. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Honestly, for me, they can go ahead and say the LU isn't canon. I can go ahead and say the DU isn't canon. OR, as I'll likely do, I'll pick and choose. XD

Either way, I'll be snatching up all the old EU books soon.

21. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    the only thing that might be hard to get a hold of is the dark horse comics. the books should still be available, just with the legends tag on them now.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Still have so many Omnibuses and TPB's to get.
    Also need to get a lot of YA books which aren't sold anymore.

23. IronAngel89

IronAngel89 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2014
    I heard there were rumors of Disney considering throwing the prequel trilogy out of canon.

24. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    somehow, i don't think that could actually happen to be blunt.

25. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I believe it absolutely can happen I simply doubt it'll be soon.

loki41872 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.