main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taelin Thurn

Taelin Thurn Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2014

Just like people were lost watching Episode IV because they hadn't seen I through III first?

For a 2 hour movie, a skilled writer could have easily ignored a lot of what happened, refer to other things in passing dialogue, and stick to the plot. The Clone Wars, as vast and sprawling as they were in later works, after all came from a single offhand reference in Episode IV.

They could have easily started a new trilogy at 45+ ABY with Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker as main characters, along with R2-D2 and C-3PO still there. All the main movie characters would still be alive for cameos, except Chewbacca.

The Empire would still be around, in the form of the Fel Dynasty assuming power. Jaina marrying Jagged Fel and becoming the Galactic Empress would be an interesting end to Episode VII the same way the Yavin Medal Ceremony or the peace ceremony on Naboo was an end to Episode I.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Abadacus like this.
  2. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    The most reasonable compromise always seemed to me the soft reboot at 25ABY. No YV War, no dead chewie, five years to set up Episode 7 set 30ABY, but keeps Jaina, Jacen, etc around. Older stories like Heir to the Empire could be updated and edited (with changes for better continuity and removing flaws) into animated miniseries or other spinoffs over time, while live-action would focus on the ST era going forward.
    What would everyone think of that, had it been clearly announced?

3. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

I am not sure that I would be wholly pleased with something like that, but at least I would prefer it since the TOR/KOTOR Era and before is still canon and well.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Ichor_Razor like this.
  4. cje24576

cje24576 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2010
    Though I don't know much about the older stories like Heir to the Empire, I believe I too would prefer that to what they announced. I mean at least the pre-TPM (especially Jedi Apprentice, Old Jedi Order, Bane, & Revan), ALL clone wars (including the fantastic microseries cartoon, Jedi Quest, & New Jedi Order would still be canon. I wish they had done what you said instead of tossing out everything.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Abadacus like this.
  5. AdamQD

AdamQD Jedi Master

Apr 2, 2006
    I am genuinely disappointed with every decision they have made regarding the universe outside of the movies, the EU was Star Wars to me, and is more important to it's current success than Lucasfilm would ever have you believe. I guess there is little we can do about it now as we are the guaranteed Dollar, we (Not necessarily Me) are gonna eat up whatever they **** on us, every decision they are making is for the fan they don't have yet.
    My main hope now is that whatever they do is absolutely nothing like any EU story of character EVER! because I think using a similar well known story of character is more disrespectful than killing the EU in the first place... So here's hoping for Luke not setting up a school, here's for Han and Leia not having Kids, and here's for Quinlan Vos being a Beach-bum (Only Joking, that last idea sucks).

BARDAN EDIT: Disallowed word

6. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I guess with the EU, we need to follow Yoda's advice: "You must unlearn, what you have learned."

Runjedirun likes this.
  7. JohnTK421

JohnTK421 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 26, 2014
    For those of you who want change please help us now in our time of need, sign this petition to get the Star Wars Expanded Universe made a national American treasur so greedy corporations cant change it or throw out whatever they want so as to make a profit off of it

LINK REMOVED

I am not trying to spam nor am I promoting something for my own gain this for all fans of the Expanded Universe

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  8. AdamQD

AdamQD Jedi Master

Apr 2, 2006
    Yoda turned out to be wrong, love and compassion destroyed the Sith and redeemed Anakin, not the dogmatic teachings of the Jedi.
    The EU will always be in my memories.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Lando Swarm like this.
  9. DBZGTKOSDH

DBZGTKOSDH Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2013
    Well, love and compassion also destroyed the Jedi and corrupted Anakin...

10. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i get where your coming from, but the best end of the eu by far was The Unifying Force

11. AdamQD

AdamQD Jedi Master

Apr 2, 2006
    You're thinking of jealousy, Greed and immaturity

Null Arc 11 0rdo likes this.
  12. DBZGTKOSDH

Aug 31, 2013
    They came from love & attachment. Love leads to attachment, attachment leads to jealously & greed, jealously & greed lead to the fear of loss, fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to the dark side, which leads to greed for more power. There is a reason the Jedi forbid relationships, and the reason isn't because they are old-fashioned.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The forbidding of relationships was something of a new development, during the KOTOR era.

The Jedi got along fine for nearly 20,000 years before that, without banning them.

14. AdamQD

AdamQD Jedi Master

Apr 2, 2006
    It's a bad idea stopping people from becoming.. intimate, lets say. Love and let Love.

15. DBZGTKOSDH

Aug 31, 2013
    Weeeell, that's non-canon...

I agree, but I'm not sure if that should apply to Jedi. It is a path that could potentially lead someone to the dark side, but ironically, it is also a path to get someone out of the dark side (Anakin/Vader is a great example). I think that the Jedi Order was wise to make this rule, and I hope to see it in the new Jedi Order as well.

16. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    As fascinating as this all is, let's leave that discussion for another thread. This thread is for the discussion of the EU/Legends and how the acquisition of Star Wars by Disney affects such.

[​IMG]

17. IHAntares

IHAntares Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2014
    Hey,

I'd like to know what further developments there have been, regarding the original "Star Wars" expanded universe, in time since my "Concerned in Cardiff" thread.

In particular, is there still room for a soft re-boot, at about 25 ABY? Or have too many pieces of the new expanded universe been put in to place?

(No matter what has happened, I'd like to know where things stand between what's gone before and what's going to come.)

Thanking you all, in advance,

Michael

In fact, I'd particularly like to know how to go about persuading the people behind "Star Wars" to take certain parts of the old EU (mostly around certain central characters) up in to the new canon. Or, again, has the construction of the new canon gone too far to make that sort of thing worth while?

[constructive replies only, please]

Thanking you all, in advance,

Michael

Bardan Edit: Double posts merged. Use the edit feature to avoid double posting.

18. AdamQD

AdamQD Jedi Master

Apr 2, 2006
    Totally agree, it works for the argument that "I Love the clone wars because it helps kids get in to Star Wars"... We were all kids when we saw A New Hope I expect, I didn't need a cartoon to pave the way for my fandom.

19. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    In short, we don't know much of anything more.
    Kessel is very different from the potato we knew, Korriban is now Moriband, and A New Dawn means Shatterpoint couldn't have happened.
    With each contradiction, there's hope it isn't setting a trend. A soft reboot (like I expected when I heard there would be an E7) is still possible, with at least the alterations noted above (and Ben's age relative to J/J).
    In my opinion, the signs aren't looking good. It seems many view the EU as "baggage", and talk about how "it doesn't matter if they're canon, you'll always remember them" while cutting short decade-spanning stories with no closure and characters with no future. Feh.
    In that case, they've learned nothing from the trends of a decade or so of films and television from complex, continuity heavy fictional universes becoming smash hits while respecting their source material. I'd like to believe they know better.

As for persuading anyone with the power to change it. Not gonna happen. Episode 7 has already been written, if Luke has a daughter named Shmi and Han/Leia have a son named Pash then that's the ultimate canon, by the new system or the old, and too expensive a product to "re-do". All there's left to do is hope that those who set the course have some of the same respect and affection for the GFFA, the stories in it, and this fandom that we've shared for the past thirty years.

PS: Heh. I just realized that Jacen & Jaina abbreviates to JJ. Maybe that'll persuade him to keep the names.

Davak24 and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  20. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    I say the lack of Love and compassion destroyed the Jedi and Corrupted Anakin.

Think about it, if the Jedi didn't forbid the Jedi to get in love and marry, Anakin wouldn't need to be secretive about his marriage. When haunted by the nightmares of Padmé, he can talk to any Jedi to give him proper advise. Thus, Palpatine tale of of his master and how he could achieve immortality through the dark side, wouldn't be that influential.

21. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013
    This is off-topic. :)

22. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Indeed, it is. Keep the thread on topic please.

[​IMG]

23. AdamQD

AdamQD Jedi Master

Apr 2, 2006
    Make this man a Moderator!

Lord_Anzeroth likes this.
  24. MaskofMany

MaskofMany Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2014
    I know a lot of people love the EU - it's obvious there are many, many fans of it, and don't get me wrong - I think much of the EU is fun, but I have to say that I am ELATED that it's not being used for the coming trilogy. My main reason is because, while fun in a "what-if?" sort of way, I always found most EU stuff I read to be horribly predictable, flat, and loaded with Mary Sue characters and scenarios. I think it's cool that the EU stuff will live on as the extensions of the main Star Wars story that they always were, but I'm very happy that we'll be getting something new, fresh, and unknown. Sure, that puts the new trilogy into the realm of possibility of turning out bad, but I'll take that over predictably mediocre.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. Harry FitzNipples

Harry FitzNipples Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2014
    I like this. Although I'm somewhat new to the EU, I like that they're FINALLY making things...final! Canon, official, whatever you want to call it. The Universe is officially expanding and will be "true" it the Star Wars history. I understand the hate it gets, with all the fans of the EU losing there stories, but you're not, really! Those books are still in stock, you can buy the ones already written, and they can't take away the one you have already. They certainly can't take away the emotion and feeling the EU material conveyed. Yeah, the stories aren't finished necessarily, but leave it up to the imagination, it's never stopped Star Wars fans before with all the holes in thte EU. This just means no more contradiction and, really, a fresh start for anything you didn't enjoy. It's a chance to fix things and make Star Wars greater than ever, give it an amazing structure

Andy Wylde likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.