main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Merging this with our official discussion thread

2. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Yes and no for me too. Yes, because I think both Thrawn and the NJO are completely awesome stories that deserve to be told in all their cinematic glory. No, because I have my doubts that Disney could do them justice. Possibly they could do Thrawn justice... I'm not sure. As for the NJO, I think that would be better suited to something like a GOT-type big-budget HBO series or something. Though I think such a series would be beyond Disney's ability to accurately capture the heaviness of everything that happens. Honestly, I don't know how you'd do NJO visually. It'd be like LOTR or something. It has the vastness that requires the cinema, yet it is simply so huge. It's almost unfilmable.

Speaking of Star Wars TV though, I'm still interested in that TV series Underworld which was going to exist....

spicer and Force Smuggler like this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I actually don't mind the notion that the Empire completely falls at the Battle of Jakku as opposed to how many years of "mopping up action" (as Leia noted in "Heir to the Empire") it took in Legends. Mainly because it makes Luke's victory at Endor seem more definitive and decisive. Endor was when the head was chopped off the beast and a year later at Jakku the body fell to the ground. Boom, done. (And, as noted in Lost Stars, Aftermath & Shattered Empire the post-Endor to Jakku period is pretty crazy. If we can get a ton of stories in between three years to ANH to ESB, there's a solid bunch of classic vs. Imperials stories in that year.)

As for stories in between post Jakku to TFA, there's a whole lot of Luke Skywalker Jedi business to take care of and I'm sure the New Republic had some issues with non-Imperials over the years.

4. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I would have preferred the Thrawn trilogy. Unlike Mara, Thrawn, Pellaeon and Joruus C'Baoth, the villains in TFA act like they originated from a Saturday morning cartoon.

Anedon likes this.
  5. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Man...Genndy Tartakovsky doing animated adaptations of Purge and Dark Times. That would awesomeness incarnate.

6. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    By the way, is it safe to assume that post-Season 2 Rebels basically decanonized most of the KOTOR comics and games? Everything involving Tales and Dawn of the Jedi as well? I mean, seeing as how much they retconned Malachor V, I think so.

7. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Talos156, please refrain from double/triple posting,. Use the edit feature to add to a previous post or simply wait for someone to reply before posting again to avoid stacking posts as you have done.

8. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Sorry, I'll make sure to remember that.

9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I'm all game for a new SW animated show by Tartakovsky, but I think that Purge and Dark Times have too serious tones to translate well into animation. Live action or animation like the TOR trailers would suit them best. Just my (biased super Dark Times fanboy) opinion.

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In 2008:
    A. Lucas still thought Underworld was going to happen.
    B. Nobody realized how successful TCW would be or how long it would run for.

I'm for sure if Lucas and Filoni knew then what they know now, they would have made TCW a Dark Times series.

Vizzy91 likes this.
  11. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    Something I've always thought would succeed is an adaptation of Crimson Empire. That would have been awesome.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I think an NJO done right on the big screen would be amazing-I would pay good money to see he battles of coruscant, Jacen's transformation. The duel in the Citadel, heck even Chewie's death on Sernpidal.

Honestly it breaks my heart-when people insult or degrade the NJO-it was amazing.

As for LOTF-as much as I personally find it depressing and painful to read-I think quite a few of the duels and battles would make excellent cinematic material.

I would probably pay money t hear a soundtrack Darth Caedus theme, Mara's death, Duel of the Twins

NJO soundtracks-wow The nursery, Kiss her for me, Ganner's dance and other sorts of titles.

Having John Williams and Han Zimmer co orchestrate the soundtrack would be awesome!

JeeediMoriah and Force Smuggler like this.
  13. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I think seeing the duel of Jacen and Jaina onesrceen would kill me. Reading it in the book broke my hearth and made me dpressed for days. I think I would cry for the entire movie.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I think it could be handled more appropriately on screen honestly. Besides its depressing ending we didn't even see Caedus POV of the duel-it was Jacen's last book and we didn't even get his last thoughts that made me very angry.

15. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Well in my head canon he knew he was going to die and allowed Jaina to kill him in the end. He had sacrificed everything for Allana and in the end he knew he had reached his goal. I belive he died at peace with the world and I think in FoJ he says something like that.
    But he didn´t died in my headcanon at the end. :p

16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I think though as much as he cared about Allana he could have kept on fighting for her. If he so chose I'm sure he could have blasted Jaina into Space and then ensured Allana's safety.

But to reiterate my previous point-in invincible you know they link all of Jacen's YJK jokes-yet it was just criminal in my opinion that for one-he was underpowered so badly and two we didn't get his POV in the last duel. It was incredibly disrespectful to the character.

Though in my head canon he didn't die but he married Tenel Ka and he became Grandmaster.

I have a question for you Anedon-what would you think of a NJO series of movies-of course now it's just a fanboy's dream, but would you want to see it. I would personally be ecstatic.

17. urwethe

urwethe Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2014

So much detail in this thread, I am commenting at this point. I have a solution to this hole mess. It's very simple. The authors for the expanded universe need to sit together and do something similar to what they have done with Star Trek. We know that Tahiri, with the assistance of Jacen, has force jumped back in time to visit the deceased Anakin, Han and Leia's son. Have someone forcejump back in time and change history. Then the authors can start down a whole new path, align the expanded universe events with the new Star Wars movies, and move on. Think of it .... A whole new future, a whole new set of books (to sell) that reflect and tie into the new Star Wars movies. To me this is a slam dunk, a win win, and excellent way to generate new momentum.

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016

19. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I think that's a horrible idea honestly. It would dishonor everything of the old EU. And the new by extension. They are different stories. How could someone change all this? It doesn't make sense. And reflecting? Well in the old EU Han and Leia lost one son who died as a hero and another who was a failed idealist. In the new they have an evil is cool steretoypical bad guy as child. The old EU was an mostly intelligent story that made sense. The new just creates movies and novels because of coolness they don't care this much about continuity.
    Honestly I would prefer if people could just let the old EU rest in peace instead of trying to combine it with Disney. Nobody has taken it away, at least not yet.

Also on a sidenote this whole timetravelibg doesn't fit into SW and if it's Tahiri who should do it you would ignore the Legacy comcis.

20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    There are instances of Time Travel however Anedon, rare and often freak incidents involving the force, powerful beings among other things. Though yeah it isn't a regular phenomena like say Star Trek.

21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Jacen did change time to the FotJ and Legacy comics timeline.

Who is to say what should have happened? Or could have? Or at what point he had truly changed it so he released Abeloth?

When Centerpoint blew? Or when the first vision of Allana on the white throne appeared?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. A Blind Prophet

A Blind Prophet Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2016
    i strongly suspect it was centerpoint... but not a the point you're thinking. i think it was in the NJO when he convinced anakin not to use it as he was the only one that could do so without any side effects, and it's even stated in said book that that was the case. now, do i think that they (being the writers/story people) had the idea having the aftermath that it ultimately did at that point? hardly. but that combined with centerpoint's destruction exacerbating the situation, strikes me as the when.

and just out of curiosity, how long has flow-walking been a thing in SWs? since that's essentially time travel in general it seems, or like it's a very, very small jump to it.

23. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    No idea, but then again it may have been around forever considering how secretive those darn Aang-Ti monks are.

24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Time travel has only a few appearances in Star Wars. Bosbit Matarcher had faulty relativistic shielding on his ship in 222 BBY and ended up going to 22 BBY. Leia and some storm troopers got sent 8000 years into the past by those trans dimensional beings in that comic. There were the events of crosscurrent. And a few other incidents. Flow walking can't change the past and is really a force based technique for observing the past. With regards to the future though I think it can be influenced but I'd have to check that.

So in Legends time travel is possible what in contrast to other sci fi franchises it's a fairly rare phenomena

Nom von Anor likes this.
  25. adve

adve Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2016
    I wanted Abeloth to be killed for good. Always hated the idea of "Force Gods".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.