main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I wonder if Disney had not bought Lucasfilm would it have ever recovered from Denning's control of the ship?

Perhaps by now in an alternate universe in which Legends still was the main timeline new blood would have been brought in and things would have gotten better.

I wish I could visit.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  2. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Darth Invictus
    I honestly doubt that.
    Denning was still in charge of the books even when others had made quize good comics/video games, the heart of the EU were the novels.
    Also it wasn't just Dennings fault many of the things we dislike like Jacen's death, more big three at the expense of the new generation, a return to a more black and white rebel imperial conflict were demmanded by the fans.

3. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Denning wrote something like 48% of the post-NJO the man's influence was undeniable. Though other writers like Traviss were nearly as responsible, also people like Sue Rostoni, Chee and Hidalgo who apparently just fine with the EU going down the drain.

And the behavior and attitude of the fans must be taken into account as well.

4. Nemuro

Nemuro Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2003
    Oh, yes!

In a way, I always felt that Brian Wood's Star Wars was a hopeful attempt to pretend all the old continuity didn't exist. Like an early shot for a get out...

5. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I'm not honestly sure what you meant but okay.

6. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    you know guys i was never mad when the old EU was gone. The new canon isn't that bad as people try to make it seem. in all honstley i have my own canon a combination of both EU's as i have meation on this site on other Threads on here. well it's easy to put pre-NJO in canon as the new stuff that take place during that time really don't affect that much, some stuff i have to change like

Barriss and stuff: in my canon she is broght back into the Jedi order after the Jedi were able to make her realize her mistakes. She stays in the order up until Order 66, but she survives the blast and the clone tropers think she's died, but not really because come one they said they couldn't found Obi-wan bofy and he was clearly alive. anyways she later gets captured by the empire and becomes a Inquisitor.

Ventress: see she faked her death before so way not now. so in my canon she survives and has the star wars wiki said in her legends page for some reason went back to Dooku and you know and disappears and be far away from the war i am still trying to see how i can end the character in my own canon.

adi gallia: this one was hard but i was able to come up with something, two different people but there sisters, there names just sound alike

and i will figure out something for the sequal year and how to connect with each other

BigAl6ft6 and Sinrebirth like this.
  7. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016
    - The reboot was something I came to terms with early on. Good or bad, it had to happen, because so much of it was contradictory and varied wildly in quality and tone and depiction of characters and concepts. That said, I like that they draw things here and there from the old EU and I wish they would more aggressively adapt the very best of it to the new canon.

- As a Mandalorian fan, I enjoyed Traviss' works but gradually noticed that it was extremely abrasive in that it was so pro-Mando and anti-Jedi. I wish Traviss had been a little more respectful of the rest of the EU and it sucks that it has put off so many mainstream star wars fans from being friendly to Mandalorian lore. That said, I absolutely love the new canon Mandos. The only thing that's missing, for me, is lightsaber-resistant Mandalorian iron. It was such an old concept (ToTJ-era Dark Horse comics) and it felt right with the natural Jedi/Mando rivalry in both old EU and new canon.

- The new books are extremely hit and the miss. The only ones I really enjoyed are Tarkin, Sith Lords, Battlefront: Twilight Company and Thrawn. The rest are pretty meh and flat, especially the Aftermath trilogy and Bloodlines. I believe this is due to LFL pressure to not let book storylines overshadow the movies/TV stories, and merely supplement and be self-contained. I don't like that. And, while I normally don't mind blasters and soldiers and ships, the books suffer greatly from having minimal to no Force-presence or Jedi/Sith/Force lore.

- I accept TFA as being what the franchise needed to bring in new fans, but I loathe it's mirroring of ANH so closely and how it made the galaxy feel so small, and the story just felt so...blandAbrams is far and away my least liked creator within the new canon universe.

- Rogue One was unexpectedly phenomenal for me. I did not find it interesting as a concept or a story worth telling at first, but after seeing the finished product, it's far and away the best part of the new canon.

- The quality of the new comics is good, but I wish they would branch into new territory rather than just covering the same main cast we've seen in the movies. I miss the days of new places and eras like Tales of the Jedi.

- I've enjoyed Rebels, but I firmly believe Filoni and his crew are held back immensely by budget and being stuck on Disney XD. They need to work on a project that can warrant a PG-13 rating, or even PG. Disney XD just doesn't let them really go the places they need to go to make the series as good as I believe it could be, though they've done great with what they were given.

- A lot of the new EU characters have been just...bland and uninteresting to me. I did not like any new character from the Aftermath trilogy, and while Rey, Finn and Poe are neat, they need a lot of fleshing out to really make me interested in them.

- The utter lack of new video games kills me. I miss the days of Empire at War, Jedi Knight series, and Kotor. Mobile games and a new Battlefront every two years is unacceptable to me.

All in all while I enjoy and embrace the new canon, I feel that LFL needs to get more aggressive and ambitious with it's storytelling, and while I don't mind being kid-friendly, I think things could be stand to be just a *bit* more adult. Not too much, but more Rogue One and less TFA.

Vizzy91 likes this.
  8. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The EU was not "contradictory" and towards its end quality variance wasn't that much of an issue.

9. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016
    The EU contradicted itself all the time. And towards the end the stories were bland quality-wise because of the constant power creep of force characters and one-upsmanship of the authors. I mean FFS Luke literally fought a Force god/deity in the spirit world with psychic punches and stuff. Dragonball Z level trite.

10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I honestly have no problem with the "OP" ness of the EU but that's an issue of taste. As for contradictory-have you ever heard of retcons-they worked beautifully about 97% of the time.

11. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    My single biggest issue with the Disney EU is that the time period is so narrow. We don't have any stories that take place that long before The Phantom Menace. I want to see more about how the Jedi, Republic, and Sith began. I would also like to see more about the Rule of Two, since we know very little of the Sith that existed between Bane and Plagueis in Legends.

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Not yet, anyway. We know about the Jedi-Sith War, about the Scourging of Malachor, and so forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth Dnej likes this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I have a question-if they did or were to continue Legends along side canon would people actually be confused? I know I wouldn't. All they'd have to do is a put disclaimer in the first few pages-saying this is the Legends timeline.

14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Are people complaining that there are Marvel superhero comics that have nothing to do with the MCU? It would almost certainly be the same with having Legends stories coming out along with canon.

15. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    would you really want to see ledgends Disneyfied?
    After what they did to many Ledgends plots and characters so far?

16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I would not want it Disneyfied.

17. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    Me neither.
    And I doubt Disney would recreate it as it was.

18. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    My favorite part of the EU was always the comics. I don't like Marvel's SW comics and I sure don't want them to touch the EU. Letting go of Dark Horse was a huge mistake.

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  19. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    But Disney owns both enterprises (Lucasfilm and Marvel).

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well Disneyfied birthed Rebels, Rogue One and TFA; some of the most on-the-nose stories we've had. It's not being cutesied.

The quality of the new canon and the old is about the same. Some awful pieces and some middling and some brilliant. But it's all Star Wars so I lap it up!

Bardan_Jusik and spicer like this.
  21. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    I'm more concerned for the fact that for every 'adult novel' there are ten 'YA" and 30 'Junior' books.
    and I need the story to go forward, not 200 books hanging around 0 ABY or so.
    Hell, give me disney Yuuzhan Vong please!

OK, I admit, I want more disney Tahiri but don't want to read any of the YA and Junior books. It's been decades since I was a YA.

there also should be a rule where an Canon OC introduced by an author, and if by some vote or disney direct order said OC should die, the same author that introduced the character should be tasked with writing her death.

22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Travis did do a number on Zahn's creations that is true.

I'm enjoying the YA stuff. It's very well written for the most part, just as the adult is.

The story won't move forward until the ST is done. That being said I largely want 5 ABY to 28 ABY to be peaceful.

23. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    but by 28 ABY Luke et al would be like 48, 50? I know in STar Wars 60 is the new 25, but who wants to read about octagenarians big three? By 28 ABY it would be too late.
    there should be a new NJO generation. Yet I just don't want to see a myrkr mission with 5 year olds while all the 30ish to 60ish run away because they felt they could fall to the dark side if they took action against the enemy.
    gosh what a mess that was.

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I don't mean I don't want stories between 5 and 28 ABY, but I expect them to be more peaceful than not.

The NJO generation is presumably not around if we are on our 'Last Jedi' in 34 ABY. Either disbanded or dead.

25. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    If it's part of the novel version of TFA, and just stop me then
    but I can't find the origin of the Knights of Ren on Wookieepedia.
    And if it's spoilers for episode 8 or 9 stop me now.
    but are they force sensitive?
    were they part of disney njo? Like part of luke's academy? potential jedi?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.