main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    spicer and Sinrebirth like this.
  2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    It's 80 years between Crucible and the end of the Sith Imperial War. That's a long investigation. And the Jedi do know where Korriban is.

Either Luke only pursued Krayt half heartedly or the Sith were incredibly good at hiding.

I suspect the Keshiri Sith were gone by 60 ABY at the latest.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  3. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I find it especially odd considering how far Luke went to take down Jacen or even random dark Jedi, but then let the dark man slip away.
    Though given that his ghost appears in Legacy not as an old man but around the age he had during the later books it could be possible that he died shortly after Crucible and the search ended with his death.
    Or maybe Krayt used some sort of a decoy posing as the dark man to be killed by the Jedi, so they thought the threat was over and stopped searching.

4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Perhaps or maybe Krayt ordered one of his underlings to sacrifice himself as a patsy so the Jedi would stop looking.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  5. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    It's clearly to set up the inevitable Ren and Stimpy crossover we've all been waiting for.

6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    How would everyone here rate the Legends galaxy in the year 140 ABY on the Kardashev scale?

7. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I literally have no idea what that is. Do I want to look it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
  10. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    I'd rate the GFFA at least partially Tier 1 on the Forerunner scale.

11. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Yeah I'd say they're just type I. Most of the technological advancements in Star Wars are Mariah martial in nature, which doesn't do much​ to increase it's rating on a scale measured like that.

Sent from my Alcatel_4060O using Tapatalk

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I was absently bored and thought I may as well put this somewhere.

'It isn't fair.'

Jacen Solo found the almost petulant statement of his older brother to be offensive. He schooled his features and calmed his emotions, not intending to allow how he felt pour into the Force. It would not serve anyone at the table for Jacen to cause a family feud.

Jaina, however, stood from her seat, upending it, and slammed her hands on to the table.

'Jaina,' cautioned Leia.

'No; I'm saying it.' She seethed at Ben. 'I'd rather have been put with the praxeum children on the Venture than put through Myrkr. I'd rather have been cozy in the Maw than forced to feel my brother tortured for months on end. I'd much rather have been there for the entirety of the two year fight back against the Yuuzhan Vong, where I lost more friends than I care to count.'

'So when you speak about fair to me, perhaps you should remember that you lost a brother too.'

Ben snapped back, standing. 'And maybe you'll accept how helpless you felt about those things because nobody trusted you to go to the front!'

Han took a firm tone. 'Ben, sit down.'

'Jaina raised her voice first,' Ben all but snarled.

'Only because you were insensitive about the struggles we had been put through as a family in the last four years.' Leia spoke, softly, but clearly.

Ben did not sit, even as Jaina crossed her arms and settled back into her chair, made upright anew by a fussy Threepio. 'I wasn't the one who abandoned the family for a year, mother - and Chewbacca is alive! He was just caught up in the refugee crisis and trapped due to the completely inadequate response of the New Republic Senate!'

Han growled. Leia reached over and squeezed his hand. 'Ben, I know the anniversary of Anakin's death is hard on you, but it's hard on us all. At the time we all thought Chewbacca had died on Sernpidal.'

'Well maybe if the family had been unified for once in its lifetime, we could have put a stop to the war before it became one! Struck at the Yuuzhan Vong rather than lead evacuations for half the war!' Ben protested. Being as Ben had been directed south, for the reasons that Uncle Luke could not condone a violent response to an enemy which was not apart of the Force, and then he subsequently was cut off from the war - even when Luke did authorise counter attacks against the invaders, it was easy for Jacen to see that Ben being sent away reeked of hypocrisy, that he had simply been kept away from the fighting. And now his siblings were heroes, even Anakin, and Ben was known for nothing, just having been left with the loss of his youngest brother and not been able to do anything about it.

Jaina would have been driven crazy sitting in the Maw protecting the children with Masters Solusar, too, Jacen absently reflected.

However, Jaina did not mince her words. 'You're just jealous that you didn't get to be a hero.'

Ben scoffed. 'A hero? The Republic is back to its dithering ways. Most of the Galaxy has returned to the way it was. In a few years time the war won't even be remembered - it's all about the Galactic Civil War, and the twenty five years of horror that Palpatine inflicted upon everyone.'

Jacen reflected that was sadly true. Most of the populous Core had been unaffected by the Yuuzhan Vong War. While Coruscant, Corulag, Abregado-Rae and Duro had indeed fallen, and Kuat had been struck in the waning months of the conflict, worlds such as Corellia, Chandrila, and Hosnian Prime had been only imperilled, and even then most of the world's which had been ravaged in the first year of the conflict were relatively low in population, and thus easy for the government of Chief Fey'lya to abandon, which of course had made it all the harder to galvanise the Senate to fight back.

The death toll had been cataclysmic and the disruption on worlds which had been hit by the invaders, but much of the galaxy had settled back into the status quo. The Centrist party had regained momentum, trumpeting that a centralised militarised approach to matters would have prevented the Yuuzhan Vong from reaching the Core. The party had been crippled by the Caamas Crisis, when armament had paved the way to civil war, but now they had all the justification to fight with the Populist party in the New Republic Senate. Barely a year since the Battle of Yuuzhan'tar, and the scars of the war were not so much healing, as being forgotten by the New Republic, even as it worked alongside states in the Galactic Alliance to restore damaged worlds across the galaxy.

Han thrust his fork at Ben. 'Enough. Anakin died in the war, and his sacrifice will not be talked down by his own brother.'

Ben whirled from the table, stalking away. Han leaned forward, intending to shout at his son, but Jacen stood. 'I'll speak to him, Dad.'

I'm thinking of putting more with you, Kev-Mas_Colcha?

BigAl6ft6 and Kev-Mas_Colcha like this.
  13. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002

Like what you did here?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    TV Tropes places it as High Type II/Low Type III - but that's mostly based on Saxton's figures from his contributions to Inside The Worlds and similar books.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/JustForFun/AbusingTheKardashevScaleForFunAndProfit

Borderline Type III: power use roughly equivalent to a galaxy's luminosity. 1 E 36 W

The Galactic Republic/Empire of Star Wars, a galaxy-spanning society with very fast FTL and (depending on the source) at least a million heavily developed planets, is a very high Type II, and in the process of achieving Type III.
    • Star Destroyers, given their very impressive planetary-bombardment capabilities, may generate as much power as stars, and almost certainly generate more power than the Earth has generated to date — and they're big for a starship in the setting, but not ridiculous.
    • The Executor-class Star Dreadnought has a power core that puts out the same energy as a class G star. Regular old Star Destroyers are said to exceed the total energy consumption of some planetary civilizations over their entire history (potentially hundreds of thousands of years in Star Wars) when they jump to hyperspace.
    • See http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Superlaser[​IMG] for details on the Death Star's power output, possibly as high as 1038W. The first Death Star charged up for a planet-buster in about a day, which would give its power core a sustained output of around 3 million of our Suns. And the second one charged in a couple hours - granted, it only charges up enough to blow up a few capital ships.
    • Starkiller Base actually consumes stars in order to power its main weapon, which is capable of destroying multiple planets with a single shot from across the galaxy! According to supplementary materials, the stellar mass it utilizes is nothing more than a catalyst for an esoteric reaction that allows it to concentrate Dark Energy and produce something called "Phantom Energy" which can be tunneled through "sub-hyperspace". As awesome as it is, it is still only a single installation belonging to the First Order!

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hobbie is all smashed up and dead in the new canon, as per his cut ESB death scene

http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2017/07/on-the-front-lines-an-interview-with-dan-wallace/

The death of Hobbie at the Battle of Hoth caught a lot of fans of the old Expanded Universe by surprise. Can you explain the thought process behind this decision?
    Yeah. Hobbie, AKA snowspeeder pilot Rogue Four from The Empire Strikes Back, is the subject of the “in memoriam” feature for the Battle of Hoth, which we called “Tales of Valor.” For fans of the old Expanded Universe, Hobbie was one of the stars of the X-Wingbook series which took place long after the Battle of Hoth, so obviously Hobbie must have survived the battle. I love that Hobbie. He has a great rapport with Wedge and is basically the glue that keeps Rogue Squadron together.
    But there’s another bit of Hobbie lore, which is that the character was originally scripted to die in The Empire Strikes Back by crashing his snowspeeder into the head of the lead AT-AT. This scene survives in the script and was drawn up as an animatic sequence, and on YouTube you can find the footage that was filmed of the AT-AT cockpit crew throwing their arms up in terror before the impact.

Back in October 2015, when we were still finalizing the outline, Hobbie’s death was brought up by the Lucasfilm Story Group during a round of notes. They pointed to the cut scene from Empire, and I subsequently revised the outline to give Hobbie an appropriate “medal of honor” sendoff.

My understanding at the time was that under the new canon, the cut scene from Empire took precedence over the Legends novels.

Because On The Front Lines might be the first Star Wars source to make Hobbie’s death explicit, I want to point out that in no way is this a case of “killing off Hobbie in a reference book.” My interpretation of Lucasfilm’s stance—and note that I’m in no way qualified to speak for the Story Group, so apply all available disclaimers here—is that Hobbie was ALREADY killed off in Empire, so reference books need to reflect that fact moving forward.
    In the new canon, major character deaths don’t happen without a major story behind them. My little reference book is NOT that story. Empire is that story.

But I’m still sorry about Hobbie.

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Most disappointing move in new Canon yet, to be honest.

17. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    WOW, that was painful. One my favorite characters in the X-Wing Series.

18. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Jango isn't a Mando- now Hobbie isn't alive. Why? Why must these things happen? This seems like going against the status quo for the heck of it. Some things shouldn't change. Pretty soon General Veers' death will be canonized. I'm calling it.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I expect it will have to be, as it was his walker which was rammed. Veers did not do a great deal in Legends after this mind you.

But regardless, unhappy.

To Jango not being a Mando - that's true, where the New Mandalorians were defining what was a Mandalorian. But it's no different than Sidious turning to Maul and saying you're no longer a Sith after Naboo - yes, they're maybe no longer legitimate, but they'll always be Mandalorians or Sith.

20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Maul's origin was really where the clone wars screwed up badly. Was he born on Iridonia? Was he a night brother? He had a brother?

They made his backstory ridiculously convoluted.

I wasn't a fan of that at all.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  21. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Bringing him back was fanfiction level. It was sad Maul never got enough attention- but it was far too late.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  22. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I think bringing him back in the clone wars was pretty meh.

But I like what they did with him once he was back.

BigAl6ft6 and Kev-Mas_Colcha like this.
  23. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I'm just feeling bad for Asajj.

24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I didn't like him being brought back period.

It was unnecessary, stupid, and creatively bankrupt.

But I suppose that's my opinion.

SpecForce Trooper and DARTH_MU like this.
  25. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    The guy got cut in half. And then he got Palpatine!dropped into a huge bottomless hole.
    Can it get more ridiculous?
    I mean, how can he even, I don't know, push?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.