main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    What it tells me is the writers of the show ran it of villains.

Having him even hold his ground against Sidious is bad too.

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I watched Sidious paste Maul, laughing like a madman. No competition.

I liked Maul's return, as an indictment of just how he was used. The Sith way ends in nothing. It's poetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    The best part about Maul coming back was his confrontation with Obi-Wan. And their talk before his death was pretty amazing for his character. I mean, I think he realized that the Sith were the true enemies, but he didn't want to give Palpatine the satisfaction of killing him. Death by Obi-Wan was really his only choice for a 'good' ending. I don't even think he hated Obi-Wan in the end. He was just tired and had nothing left; a broken man who's hatred had burned out, leaving him empty.

Really pretty poetic, especially after learning about his history in the Maul 5-issue.

4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I wouldn't be so sure the Sith way is a dead end. Passion and ambition are natural to sentient beings and the rule of two in its purest form is the student surpassing the teacher.

I don't see why Zannah would have been wrong when she said "the Sith are eternal" if not the order itself but the principles and ideas the order is based on.

Such as inner strength, passion, seeking victory over the chains in one's life, the understanding of power, and necessity of passion and sacrifice.

5. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    Mystifying decision honestly.

Half the reason ANH and ESB are the best Star Wars films is good editing. Deleted content is generally left on the cutting room floor for a reason, so I'm not especially convinced by the "he already died in ESB because deleted scenes are somehow part of the movie" stance. What next, the big reveal that Jabba the Hutt sometimes used human body doubles for meetings with untrustworthy employees because of the Declan Mulholland scene? (Actually, I'd find that pretty funny)

So it was very much an active decision, not reversion to default. One wonders who the decision was aimed at. As far as I can tell, most people would fall into 2 groups: Those who wouldn't notice or care, and those who would notice and wouldn't like it. Unless there's a vast group of minor-deleted-scene zealots out there, I can't see who this was actually meant to please rather than elicit annoyance or 'meh who cares'.

Discarding a marketable character for somewhat dubious reasons, in a way that will only get a neutral-to-negative response from the vast majority of consumers (obviously weighted heavily towards 'who cares', but with almost nobody thinking "I like this"), just doesn't make sense to me from a business perspective, and the artistic integrity reasoning provided is as mentioned, shaky at best.

This is coming from someone who was 100% understanding of Disney's decision to scrap the EU because of how crippling it'd be as a constraint on where they could go with the franchise.

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Similar view here.

Now I absently wonder which of Shaak Ti's deleted scenes will be used for her death.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Aah! Don't ****ing kill Shaak Ti!!! I know they'll do it, but it hurts anyway. This universe somehow manages to be more dead to me.

8. The Ganner

The Ganner Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2015
    Sometimes I wonder if anyone on the Story Group is actually a Star Wars fan, or they just hate it so much they got a job there and want to piss everyone off.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  9. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    They already did, Pablo confirmed a while ago that the deleted scene where Anakin kills Shaak is canon.

10. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    That Jabba thing you said actually makes sense, and your reasoning to why this is a stupid decision also is very well thought out =D=

11. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
  12. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    The Ganner, please utilize the edit feature to avoid stacking posts.

13. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I'll have to ignore those deaths I'm afraid. Easy peasy when it wasn't in a story.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Using deleted material as canon seems like a slippery and dangerous slope to me.

15. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    They can retcon everything.
    I'm just waiting for them to find a "deleted" scene where Leia and Luke are not related after all. (The girl Bail took died soon after arriving at Alderaan)

16. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    So I was always a fan of Star Wars (like basically everyone) and I got deep into it after hearing my godfather talk about playing the WEG RPGS. I was enthralled, I would go to the bookstore and buy five books at a time, and eat them up in less than a couple weeks! I leaped into Star Wars , and I LOVED the fact that it was ONE story. That was around twelveish years ago. When I heard disney bought Star Wars the only thing I thought was keep the EU and don't remake the films, they didn't listen of course. And got rid of the EU, and it alienated a whole lot of fans, whilst the casual fans (no hate you're just as big of a fan as me, just that i use these terms to describe people who are just into the films) jumped for joy, because they didn't understand the EU. Basically every move disney/Kathleen Kennedy has made had completely alienated and disrespected the EU fanbase. Now these moves are good business moves because they are only interested in the Casual fanbase (99% of the fans) because those are the movies that get the green. But they haven't done anything yet to rectify anything they did to the hardcore fans. I have literally bought every single part of the NUcanon due to the fact that i was in too deep, and I was like "this isn't how I end liking Star Wars" And i'll save my reservations about the NUcanon because it can get borderline salty. But basically it boils down to satellite stories that have no real impact on the Star Wars universe, which is a complete 180 from the EU. Also the fact that the "NUStarWars" has been desperately pandering to Twitter dramastars and the more liberal crowd, And I don't think these ideology's have any place in Star Wars, if they wanted diversity they shouldn't care about Gender and Race thats a non issue for Star Wars they should look to the Aliens, and actual IN universe diversity roster, I mean look at the Prequels, the Jedi Council in that wasn't all white dudes that was an in universe diversity that fits the story (just like game of thrones). I feel like they would much rather have the Twitter DramaStars than me be their fan.

i posted that on a seperate thread, got blocked because it has to be here so I'll post it here.

Blade Of Kenobi likes this.
  17. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    Honestly I wouldn't be suprised, seeing how Leia turned out in TFA (which made me sick to my stomach, that people LOVED general leia) If people saw Jedi Leia they would freak out.

18. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    Well Pablo already stated that NUcanon in itself isn't beholden to what we actually see and hear, but rather the broad general events.

19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I was going to post this in your other thread, but it was locked so here it is:

And this is where I step off the train.

Although, I did take the time to look at some of your recent threads.

Discussions Alienation Of The Hardcore Fanbase.

Lit Anyone Else feel underwhelmed by the marvel art?

Lit Anyone Else Think Inferno Squad Is Weird? (not the story but the actual concept)

My Personal Suggestion To Hasbro. (I.E. Legends EU characters)

It seems to me like you're just attempting to validate your dislike of the new canon by creating new threads based around how new things being done are bad, or old things are better.

Im all for an actual discussion about the logistics of the new canon compared to the old, but if your purpose is to just try and get people to agree that Star Wars has been taken over by the liberals and how it's not YOUR Star Wars, then there's no point.

SpecForce Trooper and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Third warning today for stacking posts. The Ganner. Hopefully a short vacation will help you to remember not to double/triple post.

21. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I know what just happened Bardan Jusik. lol

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't think Hobbie's death was actively trying to spite EU fans or anything. He's a victim of one of the current post-Legends LFL decisions which is, seemingly, that deleted scenes are canon which has not be flat-out stated yet but if you look hard enough it's there throughout the current canon. Luke did meet Biggs on Tatooine when Artoo and Threepio landed, Rey did confront Unkar at Maz's place, Anakin killed Shak-Ti, Hobbie died on Hoth, Luke built his new lightsaber at Obi-Wan's hut before meeting Jabba. Now, the rule may not be completely hard and fast, so far we haven't seen anything from a cut scene that is canon that flat-out contradicts what happens in the films. sometimes stuff is cut from the movie because it would be a contradiction. Shak-Ti's original Grevious death later became an Anakin death which, while both were cut, the last one is canon (and there's also her Starkiller death in Legends). Now who knows how much Rogue One cut stuff was contradicted by later reshoots but right now it seems the R1 cut scenes from the 1st cut of the movie are deep in a Disney vault right next to Walt's cryogenitcally frozen head.

If you got physically ill from people enjoying a character in a movie, that would actually be somewhat impressive.

23. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Hobbie's death.

What was the point? To show how cruel war is?
    We already had Dak's death. To show Hobbie, who had a lot of fans, die. Why?

24. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Hobbie and Rogue Squadron have a fan base. Killing him off made a lot of people mad. I don't know of a 'canonize the deleted scenes' crowd. Who are they trying to please?

25. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    The thing is Disney can make up all kind of stuff, and hide behind "cut scenes". It's a great shield. Oh of course so and so happened, duh, it's in a "cut scene". Of course you never heard before, because it's been cut. Guess what? We found it in GL's archives. Shut up GL, we own SW now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.