main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Official Disney/EU discussion thread.

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Guinastasia, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Anzeroth

Lord_Anzeroth Jedi Master star 4

Mar 2, 2013

I agree.

However, from my own personal experience, there is a large proportion of SW fans that do believe that forming strong attachments leads to the Dark Side. They believe that the Vader-Luke attachment was an exception to the rule. They draw their conclusions from the results that Anakin's attachment to Padme brought upon the galaxy. And I have to say that anyone that does not delve too deep into Star Wars material, or someone who only sees the movies will find it hard to not reach that conclusion. Vader's sudden realization is, IMO, portrayed in the movies as Vader returning to the Light Side, rather than saving his son; i.e. Vader chooses to drop the Emperor into the shaft because he wants to save his son, but also because he realises the evilness of the Dark Side. On the other hand, Anakin's action are seen as if he is doing them purely of love; to save Padme from dying. For me, that is true, however it is also true that he always had a lust for greater power, coupled with him being impatient.

2. Darth 1138

Darth 1138 Jedi Knight

Apr 27, 2014
    I have mixed feelings. While the "new" canon may overwrite a lot of the good old stuff, a clean slate may not be a bad thing. The old stories, the "Legends" will still be there. And it is reassuring that Kemp (loved Crosscurrent and Riptide) and Luceno are both still involved, among others who may still be announced. Also, there is some hope that some of the pre-RotJ EU is still valid. Maybe the powers that be are just going to pick and mix bits. But there probably isn't much point guessing as to which until the announcements are made.

Although it's a damn shame that I won't see Tommy Lee Jones play Thrawn on screen. And I will criticise Episode VII relentlessly for every single discontinuity in that endless montage of lens flares )). And I will still love it. And more importantly, Disney are likely giving Star Wars the "Marvel" treatment i.e. more spin-offs, tie-in TV series etc., and I welcome it.

I will still hold close to heart Corran, Anakin Solo, pre-Dark Nest Jacen, Revan, Exile, Ulic Qel-Droma, Borsk's noble end, the Wraiths, the Chiss, Kyle Katarn, Darth Bane and many many others. All that stuff has happened, it just happened in a long time ago, in yet another galaxy far far away, now lost in legends. (See what I did there? ;))

I do feel sorry for the moderators of Wookiepedia though. I don't envy you guys. ^:)^^:)^

3. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013
    Poor people...I do too feel sorry about them. They will have to sort out what is and what is not canon, which I predict will be a very very difficult process. [face_worried]

On top of that, it seems that many angry fans have already started removing entire articles from Wookiepedia, since it is no longer considered canon. ouch

Benedict Cumberbatch would have been the ultimate Thrawn.

4. Darth 1138

Darth 1138 Jedi Knight

Apr 27, 2014

I can't believe that never occurred to me... That is so awesome it might actually happen.

Anzeroth2112 likes this.
  5. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    Since they're not binding themselves to the EU storyline, there's nothing to stop Thrawn appearing in one of those spinoffs, or in Episode VII itself for that matter.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the Union comic used him for one of the Rogues (Janson?) with Bruce Willis as Kam Solusar. Can't recall who else looked noticably like actors.

7. Lord_Anzeroth

Mar 2, 2013
    People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians [...].
    ―George Lucas in 1988[src]

I think the quote speaks for itself

8. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    THIS. Ahahaha. Hahaha. Ha ha. Ha... :_|

Revanfan1 and Random Comments like this.
  9. Mandalore The Uniter

Mandalore The Uniter Jedi Master star 2

Jul 17, 2007
    Ah well, I guess I'll just have to live with being a "Legend" of Star Wars then. :p

I have never been that personally attached to the EU that I am going to get overly upset about the changes. Sure it sucks, but there is absolutely nothing I can do about it...so might as well roll with the punches.

10. KnnOs

KnnOs Jedi Master star 2

Feb 8, 2001
    Nah man, Hugo Weaving. His slow, measured, menacing delivery would work perfectly.

I am hurt by this and I can't really figure out why. My "conditions" were met. I knew there was no way they'd keep the continuity as it had been, I was worried that they would not allow authors that had previously written for the GFFA write in the new continuity, and that is clearly not the case. They are not working to suppress the old books, like some new Holiday Special. And last they are still open to using bits and pieces of it, which I think is great. Though I have had more of my fandom tied up in novels than in the movies, I am not blind to their flaws, blind to the plot holes, missed characterizations, and just plan poor efforts by some of the novels. I mean when they were good, they were VERY good, but when they fell short... well. So a reboot stands a good chance of refreshing an EU that many of us were feeling was over-extended and weak.

So why does it give me a twinge each time I think about it since the announcement?

I think part of it is that, at the end, the non-EU folk win. All those years of being told that how I chose to enjoy Star Wars wasn't "real" and was "less" are now, in fact, true. While I can (and do) make the stand that no one should get to tell you how to be a fan, there can be no question that the non-EU outlook has won, and I have seen the nasty crowing in a couple of comments sections. But that's not all of it. Maybe it's just mourning a time in my life when I was more connected to Star Wars, a time represented by these novels, I can't say.

11. EUCudBeMine

EUCudBeMine Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2014
    Sorry about posting my thread I didn't see this one.

12. DBZGTKOSDH

DBZGTKOSDH Jedi Master star 1

Aug 31, 2013
    I wonder if the new canon books/comics/etc will be considered part of the EU? The non-canon EU stuff are marked as "Legends" after all.

13. Donaldson

Donaldson Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2000
    I think the concept of the EU is going to be different. It`ll be the Main canon stuff with almost everything else falling under the Legends category. The EU will just be the U. It matters little to me as I`ll still have the the older EU stuff to read. Enough of my favourite series have dodgy elements that I`ve grown quite adept at filtering what I consider canon or not.

On the subject of the crowing from people who don`t like the EU, there`s something that I don`t think a lot of them are considering. The older stuff may or may not be considered part of canon now, but what about the torrent of new stuff that Disney are sure to release. From now on it seems that Disney are taking an `everything counts` approach to the new material. It`ll be harder for the EU haters to dismiss stuff that they`re outright told is canon, but I daresay they`ll manage.

14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    For some of us the labels won't matter at all.

Anzeroth2112 likes this.
  15. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    This will probably not be the last time the SW EU universe is rebooted.

I get why they did it and I'm even okay with it. This is coming from somebody who enjoyed plenty of PT and OR books/novels too. I never got into post ROTJ novels though.

I wished they wrote off TCW too. That series had moments, but it was more ridiculous than anything.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  16. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Just wait another 20 or 30 years when the entire saga gets a re-boot when the remakes are made.

[​IMG]

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Don't be sorry, it was the most amusing thing I've read ever.

18. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Just think if Disney had bought SW 10 years ago Lindsey Lohan could have played princess Leia.

19. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
  20. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    BARDAN EDIT: No need for that sort of thing here.

21. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    What confuses me is the sheer amount of EU that they've made 'legendary'.

I would have expected it to happen to all of the post-ROTJ EU, but they just went and practically did it to the whole thing.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't want to be hindered by anything.

23. Jair Crawford

Jair Crawford Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2012
    I suppose, but how would they be hindered by TOR era EU? Or Darth Bane? Or the novels that tied into movies? Like Plagueis and Cloak of Deception and such?

Unless they wanted to revisit those areas... but there doesn't seem to be any indication of them wanting to revisit those areas.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If they decided the Sith only showed up 2000 years before the movies for example. TOTJ, KOTOR, TOR would be gone. Or say they do set a movie at 5,000 years ago during the time of the Great Hyperspace war, they won't limit themselves to the designs of that era. They will do whatever they want. The KOTOR comics probably stand the best chance of surviving imo.

25. Darth 1138

Darth 1138 Jedi Knight

Apr 27, 2014

I still think that it's wait and see kind of thing, i.e. it's not guaranteed that all of it's going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.