Speculation OFFICIAL Episode VII/Spin-Off Casting Rumors and Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by Kez-Iban, Oct 31, 2012.

1. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I wouldn't say that would exclude her from Star Wars.

Plenty of actors never do fantasy or sci-fi because they never get the chance or the female is just the stereotypical cliche.

Moore is a fine actress and would have no problem turning her hand to it.
  2. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    My only real concern is the female hero(es).

The ability to write a great female action heroes in Hollywood has had very few champions.

Joss Whedon is one the few writers able to create great action women.

Princess Leia is one of the few none Whedon successes - so as she is already established Arndt won't gave a problem, he just has to add how the intervening years have changed her.

Katniss Everdeen was one of the other few - instantly likeable, right amout of toughness and girliness (hate using that but I'm stuck for the right word.

I like that Arndt has had a hand in crafting Catching Fire so he'll know how to make a young female hero that is not too soft or too tough.

I'm hoping that the OT's children are of the age where there is at least one grandchild.

Adam Arkin is great as the grandfather in Little Miss Sunshine and I keep trying to imagine how Arndt would write about how Han is driving his kid bonkers and undermining him/her by taking the grandchild smuggling or the like. :)
  3. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I think you'll find that whatever the "whatever" is, the world has been there for some time.
  4. Lord Tyrannus Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree, bro.......
  5. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    As the only boy in the midst of many, many sisters and the underling of She Who Must Not be Named, I don't hold with that kind of talk.

I've heard the kind of things women say about men. Women can't claim the high ground here.
  6. krtmd Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Well, I haven't seen many women say it here. I would never claim any high ground, but the fact remains that all the talk about how Hamill and Ford and Fisher are too old, or too unattractive, or too crazy (this one irks me particularly since Carrie Fisher suffers from documented mental illness and does ECT for treatment) is sexist, ageist, and ugly.
  7. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    That, brother, you got right. I've being saying that for some time.

Was I guilty of said same above? - I did applaud Knightly's common sense and self confidence that she clearly has in droves because you can be damn sure she was put under pressure to "enhance" herself and the small breasts are a topic she has discussed before and I would if I got the chance - She Who Must Not Be Named has assured me that this isn't sexist in he slightest.

Plus, She Who Must Not Be Named is quite annoyed because I woke her to ask her and that I'm still on the forum at 3 in the morning.

I have been order to ask you folks how you manage your time on the board and don't get carried away.

I have to agree that I get savage loss of time in these threads.
    I
  8. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    Imo, saying Carrie Fisher is too old to play a major role as Leia in the ST is about as ageist as saying Joe Montana is too old to play quarterback for the 49ers in 2015.
    anakinfansince1983 and EviL_eLF like this.
  9. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Thanks... homey!!!
  10. ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I'm guessing this is a sporting reference and I don't know the age of he individual, but that is not the same thing.

People age and there atlehic ability decreases.

No one is argueing that.

But this does relate to acting.

Ford, Williams and Fisher's action sequences consisted of mainly running and shooting.

Hamill was the one with the big action moments and the fight scenes.

There is nothing to suggest Fisher isn't still capable of the same.

And most of the comments in regards to age have gone beyond he limits of decency.

Perhaps you haven't seem them.

Plus, I notice your post only refers to Fisher as being too old.

Why is that?
  11. lord_eidolon Force Ghost

star 2
    Aside from original actors reprising their roles for support purposes, I would say a cast of (mostly) unknowns would be wise.
    Plebeian likes this.
  12. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    Imo, physical appearance is often a significant factor in portraying a character. Example: Arnold Schwarzenegger is not appealing as an action hero in his current flabby shape.

I'm not even talking about action scenes, though that is of course a concern.

When I say Fisher is "too old", what I really mean is that I find her appearance unpleasant. Seeing her portray Leia as she looks now would be terribly depressing and would seriously hurt my viewing experience. If she looked better, I'd have no problem with her reprising the role.

As for Mark and Harrison, I am not sexually attracted to men and their physical presence is not very important to their characters. Harrison should be fine as long as he can manage a lopsided Solo smile and Mark should be fine as long as he shows up in relatively decent shape.

I'd rather not call Carrie Fisher ugly any more than I have, so I will no longer respond to any questions on the subject from you.

Thank you for your participation.
  13. Jason79 Jedi Master

star 1
    You guys really need to get informed about Carrie's current appearance. All these fat ugly looking pics of her you've all been tossing around are at least 3 years old. She has slimmed down quite a bit since then.
    She also currently happens to be a spokesperson for Jenny Craig.

This is from last summer. Now you were saying?
    Last edited by Jason79, Nov 11, 2012
  14. EviL_eLF Force Ghost

star 4
    I think you need to get up to date, this was her at the Roseanne roast this July...

[IMG]

Here she was at the San Diego Comic con just a couple months ago...
    [IMG]
  15. bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Master

star 2
    Someone like Danny Glover to play Mace Mindu's illegitimate son.

And also, judging from those photos of Carrie above.... I'd go there.
  16. Jason79 Jedi Master

star 1
    She's looked alot worse than that. I'd hate for someone to have to look at an old lady in a movie.
    Since only people with a pleasant appearance should be seen on film.:rolleyes: Makes you wonder why they don't cast fat cows in so many sitcoms these days. Oh wait they do. If a person has acting talent Their looks shouldn't matter.
    Last edited by Jason79, Nov 11, 2012
  17. EviL_eLF Force Ghost

star 4
    Nobody is saying they don't want to see her on film. They're saying they don't want to see her as one of the main characters as she used to be is all.

She no longer fits the part as she did. It would be very hard in terms of suspension of disbelief to see her doing major action sequences. ie flipping off of speeder bikes in a chase, flipping a scout trooper that has the jump on her etc.
    Last edited by EviL_eLF, Nov 11, 2012
  18. unicron5 Force Ghost

star 1
    I think Idris Alba would be a good choice in the role of a Jedi Knight:

[IMG]

I'm assuming Luke is not the only Jedi by that point.
    DarthKreVass and Saurion-Fett like this.
  19. wian Jedi Youngling

They definitely need a female Jedi or Sith this trilogy... That would be totally cool. And i want to see heaps of different coloured light sabers. Orange, Yellow, white etc....

One thing that crapped me off with the prequel trilogy was all the silly tie ins , that were not necessary. Like Anakin creating C3PO etc. That was just silly and annoying.... No more of that crap please...

They should have a minor role for Leia , but Harrison Ford has aged well so he could pull of Han Solo easily, and Mark Hammill could feature a bit more as an older jedi like Alec Guiness did. But i would like new characters and new stories. Without all the stupid tie ins that i mentioned before. I hope they get some original ideas for a change...

Although i am going to contradict myself, but i would love it if Boba Fett somehow escaped the sarlac pit and could come back,,,
    Last edited by wian, Nov 11, 2012
    FinleySlade likes this.
  20. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 6
    Been done. Dark Empire has him out of the Sarlacc, Tales of the Bounty Hunters explains how.
  21. wian Jedi Youngling

I reckon they should steer clear of Tattoine also. I am over the whole Hutt Stuff...It started to get annoying.... Introducing some new worlds would be better i think.....
  22. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 6
    The point was more that, since Boba Fett is back (in the EU) there's nothing stopping them from including him (if only in a minor role as "The Mandalore") in the movies.
    Last edited by Iron_lord, Nov 11, 2012
  23. The-Eternal-Hero Force Ghost

star 4
    One Lucasfilm Alum I'd love to see in VII is Nate Parker.

[IMG]

He was outstanding in "Red Tails" and really has the quiet dignity to play a Jedi Master, perhaps one of the first students Luke discovered and trained after RotJ; he's the perfect age.

And they'd be insane not to cast Sam Witwer in a supporting role. He's a seriously up-and-coming actor, already in the SW world, and we know he can pretty much do anything.

[IMG]

I'd also like to suggest for a supporting role, a Disney / Lucasfilm Alum who could bring a lot to a supporting role, perhaps as a Senator or General:

[IMG]

And I want this guy back:

[IMG]

He's got the best "in" -- cloning. And he never really got to show us what he's got. He's an excellent dramatic actor.
    Last edited by The-Eternal-Hero, Nov 11, 2012
  24. Iron_lord Force Ghost

star 6
    General Bel Iblis, maybe? Or Talon Karrde, or Booster Terrick?
  25. CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    The problem with Boba Fett is having to explain his return in-movie. The fans that are aware of the EU are still a small percent compared to people who just love watching SW movies. You can get away with not having to explain things like the Solo children(for example) because people assumed Han and Leia would get married after ROTJ. It wouldn't be too big of a surprise if Luke had met someone in the 30 years, got married and had a kid.

But resurrecting a dead character(as far as the average SW movie lovers, he is still dead), and the main characters aren't surprised by his "re-appearance", would require more explanation than I bet they're willing to go.