main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation OFFICIAL Episode VII/Spin-Off Casting Rumors and Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Kez-Iban, Oct 31, 2012.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Hell, on the commentary track for "Star Trek" they flat-out say they were thinking about tossing in a credit cookie about the Botany Bay! When I heard Del Toro, I thought Khan immediately. I think even Deadline flat-out said it. Then when Cumberbatch was cast, I thought maybe a different augment. So it was a reverse double-fake-out!

2. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Just give me time to get used to the idea. That's all I ask. Whoever the cast may be.

3. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Ok, here is another from March of this year:

http://latino-review.com/2013/03/03/exclusive-dcu-takeover-huge-developments-justice-league/

Excerpt:

World’s Finest Again, unconfirmed. But certainly within the realm of possibility. Could we instead get just a team up between these two and then graduate to a Justice League movie? Anything is possible folks.

4. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    On top of that Harry Knowles coming out and saying he was 100 percent sure Kahn was not going to be in the Star Trek sequel.

5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    For the record, I'd say Section 31 cosmetically altered Khan into Cumberbatch (so people wouldn't notice a genocidal dictator walking down the street, be a pretty bad black-ops guy). Hope the comic series in the fall will come out with that.

6. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    If you take the Ep7 casting call into consideration, perhaps Gosling is trying out for the guy in his late 20s, while Efron is trying out for the guy in his early 20s. Just a theory.

7. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Yep, Gosling would be the late twenties dude. Which, if he is Skywalker's son, is not what I expected. Efron would be the mid twenties guy. Although he doesn't really fit as "not traditionally good looking."

Still, they both fit the descriptions more or less. People aren't typically casted EXACTLY like a call sheet anyways. They are just general ideas...

8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe they're both up for the teenage girl parts. [face_rofl] Ok, I'll stop.

VMeran, Sarge, eht13 and 3 others like this.
  9. Dasan

Dasan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 7, 2013
    I don't really want either of those guys, but I am also aware that actors can get better if you only give them a chance and a good director. Gosling has already proven he can act, and I'm sure Abrams, who is really good with actors, can get something worthwhile out of Efron. If I would have cast a Skywalker kid, though, I would have chosen Dane Dehaan. He looks much more like Mark Hamill than Gosling does.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2851530/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

Honestly, I'm more curious about how casting the females is going, especially if the rumors about the lead being a teenage female are true.

Corax78 likes this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yikes on both accounts. [face_sick] I don't put much stock in casting rumors at this point though because everybody and their mama's gonna wanna be in this movie and I'm sure they're all lining up to get auditions. Doesn't mean they're going to get cast. But yeah I don't want either of these two anywhere near Star Wars.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I love this graphic and 3 of these choices but I absolutely hate Emile Hirsch (he's my Zac Effron). I'm so torn! Seriously, just his mug bothers me.

I really think Elle Fanning is a solid shot, if only for the JJ connection.

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd be so down if Gosling is in this film since he is a great actor!!!! but NO EFRON PLEASE, guy is terrible

Plus if Gosling plays the main role then we have 2 Canadian Actors that have played the main role

13. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Elle Fanning is too young, unfortunately. She's only 15 and still would be during filming. Even at 16 I'd say she's still a bit young for "late teens". My impression is that they want 18-20 like Luke and Leia were supposed to be. They might cast an older actor to play younger, but I doubt they'd do it the other way around.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I do find it intriguing that it says Luke could possibly have a son (although I won't take that as confirmation just yet obviously) and that a 30 year old actor is rumored to play him. Seems a bit old to be going through a coming of age story (although who knows what Episode VII is going to be about) unless of course Luke has more than one child and the 30 year old is his/her older brother. That opens up a lot of intriguing possibilities I think. Very interesting. :D

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Or the possibility that Luke's son won't be the main protagonist. Now that would be unexpected.

16. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    If Luke has children, would the mother be dead, or a supporting character, who's casting wouldn't be announced until after the main cast?
    of course we could assume that the big 3 are just supporting cast, and the only reason they have prominence is because they're the big 3?

17. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Well, Luke's son would be a main protagonist. But, perhaps not the central character. It would certainly be unusual.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  18. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Well, whats to say that Luke's son wouldn't be adopted? Granted, if Gosling rumor is true; I would assume that they would be biologically linked with the blonde hair and all.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Sure would be. Although I'll say if Luke does have children I really hope one of them is the main protagonist. Just my personal preference there. Now if Luke does have multiple children who are a part of the new Big 3 where does that leave any Solo children? It would be a bit restricting if the main group is made up entirely of relatives. Maybe will have a Big 4 this time around. Okay my head hurts thinking about all the possibilities. :p

20. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Well Zahn was told, that if there was ever an ST, it would be about Skywalker children, but that was in 89-90, so who knows.

21. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    I'll give you another possibility. The main focus could be on co lead solo kids with the Skywalker son as an older guiding sibling. I still don't know how I feel about keeping this so close to bloodlines. But, then again the movies main theme could be the idea of family.

So, whatever....

22. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah, well they could go REALLY on the nose with the original story treatments and have Gosling playing essentially the 30 year old Luke(replacement) with his younger Skywalker sister. Its another possibility....

23. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    newdawn12 likes this.
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Here's another one. I actually really like the adoption idea (a nice little nod to Lucas) so what if we have one child who is adopted and another who is biological. We could have a Thor/Loki type relationship. That could be an interesting dynamic.

newdawn12 likes this.
  25. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Well, here is another angle some of us might be overlooking:

If you examine the Star Wars films 1-6 central character:

You notice an age progression:

Episode 1: Skywalker character is a child

Episode 2: Skywalker character is a teenager

Episode 3: Skywalker character is a young adult.

Episode 4: Skywalker character is a young adult

Episode 5: Skywalker character transitioning into an adult. Luke essentially becomes a man by the end of Empire Strikes Back.

Episode 6: Skywalker is an adult.

So perhaps episode 7-9 is dealing with a Skywalker as a a fully formed adult. How we age as adults and the decisions you have to make, Likewise, its always been youth surrounded by age and experience. Perhaps, this time, its about age surrounded by youth?