main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation OFFICIAL Episode VII/Spin-Off Casting Rumors and Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Kez-Iban, Oct 31, 2012.

1. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    We'd have to know what roles they are playing to know if they would be a good fit. Efron has already made several movies since his Disney association. Gosling is a serious actor i'd say. so I don't have a problem with those two names. It does make me wonder all of a sudden if they will try to draw in another big name or not, beside's the OT actors coming back.

2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
  3. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah, its not exactly surprising that rep would deny things. Btw, it was never said by Latino review that either of the guys got the part. Just that they were called in for an audition. They only thing in the article that Latino review was trying to confim is that the 30 year old character is playing Luke's son.

Whether Gosling gets the part or not, who knows?

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  4. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Hah well I'll say this. If you had told me a few years ago you have a choice of ROTS being the last SW movie or you can have EP 7 BUT it stars Zac Effron and it's directed by JJ Abrams I would have to think hard about that one. If you threw 3 more seasons of CW in the mix I might have chosen to stop at EP 6 :)

aguywithabiggun likes this.
  5. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I came looking for pictures of Gosling's abs and Efron's dreamy eyes and get nothing. I'm disappointed in you guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Star Wars never looked this good.

Son of a Bith and Garth Maul like this.
  6. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I don't think that's bad.

I could also see him as a Solo - more like Han than Luke, IMO.

Efron does absolutely nothing for me.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    All I can think of regarding Gosling is The Notebook, and that movie was so ****ing awful that Gosling being hot couldn't improve it.

I haven't seen anything with Zac Efron in it.

8. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Did you miss the end of Season 5 of TCW? Ahsoka was no longer a Jedi at the end, they expelled her and she chose not to rejoin the order because she'd lost faith in them. What Yoda said in ROTJ has zero bearing on Ahsoka being alive or not at the time of ROTJ. Nor should she be killed off in Rebels; she survived TCW, when at the beginning most folks figured she was created just to be killed off during the series. No point bringing her back to kill her off in Rebels; let her find her own path, and actually use her brain to realize A) acting Jedi-like after the Empire emerges is likely to get her into trouble and/or dead, and B) even if she recognizes Vader is Anakin, confronting him is a fool's errand.

All that is required of any Jedi-types that make it thru Order 66 is that they NOT consider themselves or even really act like Jedi for their survival to mesh with Yoda's words. Luke might find there's dozens of ex-Jedi survivors out there, to help him rebuild the Jedi... many of them are probably as disillusioned with the galaxy as Ahsoka was with the Jedi Order, and might not wanna join back up. Many might want to build something different, something new, recognizing like Yoda & Obi-Wan that the old Order was fraught with problems, and will just be there to support Luke, not interfere too much. Many might have kids, kids who might wanna become Jedi themselves.

Anyway.

The irony in that Gosling/Stone GIF is that his abs WERE digitally enhanced, from what I heard... :D

InterestingLurker likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If Disney wedges Selenea Gomez into Episode 7 into a golden bikni slave leia outfit I would be absolutely okay with that!

Go Disney!

JStepp and Chained Prometheus like this.
  10. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Efron could pull off a Skywalker look and Gosling could pull off a Solo look I think.

But I don't care about name actors, I just want good actors.

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yep. Me too.

12. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    The Notebook is a great movie that my daugther, daugther's daughter, etc... will enjoy for years to come.

Gosling was great in it too but I don't think he will be cast in E7.

13. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

[face_laugh] A fair point! However, I can think of plenty of other ladies that could be wedged into that bikini that I'd prefer to see over Gomez too! ;)

14. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    As always I have to drop the "Disney Corporate" card. We know Star Wars main demographic is "males". Yes, yes, yes, with the invention of "social media" a lot of "fan girls" are more known, but still their numbers are dwarfed by young women who could careless about Star Wars. To get "those women" in theaters you have to put names like Ryan Gosling & Zac Efron. The big joke in the past was "How could Star Wars make more money than Titantic?" The answer was "if all the Star Wars fans actually had girl friends and could bring them to the movie."

I still say Disney is pushing the demographic to "average, non-fan girl" women. As with any business, they want maximum profits. You want women, put "attractive young men" in your film.

15. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Now I hear Dicaprio flat out turned down a role in EVII, according to the rock solid trustworthiness of Zergnet. Latino Post. Hmm, should have hired him at episode 1, before they killed Star Wars.

Oh, he says he wants to do some other movie Robosomething. My bet if this is real, he's betting on Pacific Rim as the new direction of sci-fi, as this movie is basically the same plot. So surreal, this sequel adventure. Like OZ ]-}

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm a woman and I hated it. It was smaltzy and gratuitously sad IMO. The entire purpose was to make the audience cry, not tell a story.

But to each her own. Gosling was OK but not good enough to make me like that movie.

As far as Ahsoka showing up in the ST...just no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

krtmd, CT-867-5309 and HegoDamask like this.
  17. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

A very fair point, phatdude1138! On the bright side, if either Gosling or Efron were cast, they'd both most likely do very well with their roles in the film. There are worse options out there. So long as there is talent present in the cast, I'm fine if Disney is looking to appeal to the non-fangirl women audience by casting attractive men. Sometimes you can have your cake and eat it too. ;)

phatdude1138 likes this.
  18. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Robosomething? You show Robotech some RESPECT! Many who grew up with Star Wars (OT) also grew up with the adventures of Rick Hunter, Roy Fokker, Max Sterling, Scott Bernard, etc. :cool:

Strange if DiCaprio actually 'turned down' a role... there's only two lead roles he could've been up for: the 40-ish military guy, or the 30-ish intellectual. Hmm.

That would just be...wrong. Maybe I'm just getting old, but a bikini-clad adult with a 12-year-old's face is super-creepy.

19. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    As soon as I saw the trailer for Pacific Rim, I turned to my friend and said "I wish I was seeing a trailer for Robotech". ;)

my kind of scum likes this.
  20. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm the last one to stereotype, but sterotypes wouldn't exist if there wasn't a tidbit of truth to them. anakinfansince1983, you are also a woman that posts on a Star Wars forum. Again, this is NOT a NEGATIVE! I wish more woman liked Star Wars enough to be active in a Star Wars community, but the fact remains you are in the minority of your gender who like Star Wars. I've found a pretty good correlation of women that LIKE the "Notebook", that do not have any interest in Star Wars (at least the people I know in my personal life).

Long story short I think you are in the minority when it comes to women that don't like the Notebook, just like you are in the same minority of women that like Star Wars. Again I think that these are traits more women should have. But Disney knows that they need to tap the "typical female" audience more..

21. Maharishineo

Maharishineo Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 25, 2013
    For what it's worth, their heights don't exactly match up well based on the rumors and speculation:

Hamil: 5'9"
    Gosling : 6'1" (+4)

Ford: 6'1"
    Efron: 5'8" (-5)

Obviously there's always variance between the high of father and son (I'm actually about 4 inches taller than my father so Gosling's conceivable when it comes to height, at least) but five inches shorter seems like a long shot to me. Assuming they're looking at him as a Solo offspring, having Efron's character be shorter because he's younger in the first film might work for the big screen (in real life, you're generally almost done growing by late teens though, if that's how they would cast him) but I doubt they're planning on having the entire trilogy span any less than 5-10 years. Also seems strange, after seeing Solo being so much taller than Luke, for their offspring to be the reverse of that.

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Well, Carrie Fisher is like 5'1" so that would bring Solo's child down a bit. Maybe Luke will marry a Star Wars Amazon woman.

I don't honestly claim to know the tastes of heterosexual women, but aren't Harrison Ford, Hayden Christensen and Ewan McGregor, like, totally hot dudes? If totally hot dudes were going to draw teh wimminz, it probably already would have, no? Or are they not hot enough for the general idea? I mean, Harrison Ford won Sexiest Man Alive. I don't know, I'm not really in touch with who women swoon over. You might be right, the Efron pretty boy might be more the type.

I like what we're doing here.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. Maharishineo

Maharishineo Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 25, 2013
    lol Guess you could also go back to the PT where Christensen is 6'2" and Portman is 5'3". I suppose by that math and the fact that people never really questioned it (even though Vader towers over Leia and Luke), height wouldn't be that big of a deal...

Also FWIW my wife will inevitably have to see all of these new movies with me regardless but will be much more excited to do so if Gosling and Efron are in them. They definitely seem to carry a much more giddy/screamy/fangirlish following than Christensen and McGreggor do. You do have a point with Ford. But I would say that, ever though I'm not old enough to know the demographics of the originals, whenever I watch anything to do with the success of them, like VH1's "When Star Wars Ruled the World" (mention that because I saw it recently), there seems to be more of a genuine interest from females. Ford no doubt had something to do with whatever the amount of female interest there was.

24. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    There's TONS of variance in heights... especially when you consider that Padme & Leia were both pretty short. I'm 6', topped my dad by a couple inches, my mom by a couple more, but my dad's mom & his sister are really short. My mom's family were mostly tall (she was the shortest in her family); that's why I'm tall. My wife's 6'1", her sister's 5'8" or so... parents not terribly tall. I don't think the heights matter a bit. Luke's 'short for a stormtrooper' (so was Jango, if you think about it), but Anakin was pretty tall... Luke & Leia just got a bit more of Padme's height. Or Shmi's. Luke's kid could easily get more of Anakin's, or--like me--his mother could be from a 6'-average family.

25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    El Mayimbe from Latino Review just posted this on Twitter:
    I think that's quite interesting.