main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation OFFICIAL Episode VII/Spin-Off Casting Rumors and Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Kez-Iban, Oct 31, 2012.

1. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    The folks who will support a casting decision and see the movie before passing judgement are superficial?

OK, cool.

2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yes, just as someone who said that we (I'm included in the anti-lousy actor group) wouldn't support crappy actors are superficial for NOT supporting crappy "actors."

Get the point? Not likely.

Immortiss and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I get where you're coming from Echo-07. :) I certainly didn't appreciate being called superficial for not supporting two actors that I personally don't care for at all (and I've seen enough of their movies to form that opinion.) So what's the difference with what Echo just said. ;)

Echo-07 likes this.
  4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Exactly! We're "superficial" for not liking crappy actors. I never said they were unattractive. As a guy I can see their obvious appeal to women-- tweenie girls who probably subscribe to 17 magazine. Nothing will convince me they can act. Luckily for us Gosling is denying the rumor. However, and probably more disturbing, Effron is NOT denying it.

5. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Alright, all the rumor said was that those guys were auditioning for roles, and what those roles probably were. The rumor never said either guy had been cast.

Also, Goslings rep is going to deny pretty much anything. Irregardless if he went for an audition, got the role, or merely was approached. Standard operating procedure. It doesn't prove or disprove anything...

6. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

I would certainly agree that most of the teen actors and actresses in Disney's roster are absolutely terrible and shouldn't be anywhere near this film. However, I do see potential in Efron and he appears to be a very big SW fan himself, which could result in a pretty passionate performance from him if he were to be cast. I've also thought Gosling has generally done well in the films I've seen him in. Another thing to note would be Heath Ledger as the Joker in The Dark Knight and the original reaction from most fans when it had been announced.

But again, in general, I completely understand and agree where you're coming from. I just think that there are exceptions to the rule.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It really has nothing to do with their association with Disney for me or that they're teen heartthrobs. I don't care how many teen heartthrobs of either sex they want to put in the movie as long as they can act. I just don't think either is a very good actor and so I'd rather not see them cast. Now if they do end up being cast will I go on rampage and swear to never see the film? Of course not that would be silly. I'll give them a shot just like I'd give anyone else associated with the film a shot. Doesn't mean I can't prefer someone else.

8. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

Certainly a fair and respectable point!

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  9. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Echo-7

[​IMG]

Although your gut reaction is to boycott if Effron is in it, once you see the first trailer featuring all the old cast, well as Vader said
    "It is useless to resist." :)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    My statement (a sarcastic one nonetheless) was aimed at the folks who are saying "ZOMG ner Dersner kerds!". Clearly, this is not you. Why have you taken offense? Even to take it as far as the age-old internet tactic of taking a stab at my intelligence.

11. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Just bought my tickets for D23 :) Even if we get some big announcements during the CEII closing ceremony at least I'll get to check out the new ride.

12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Tom Hardy as Darth Bane!

13. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Casting Zac Effron is practically the same as having the return of Jar Jar Binks .......

darklordoftech likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Zac tries to "help" fix the Millenium Falcon and gets his tongue caught in the machinery?

15. Chained Prometheus

Jul 24, 2013

Only if he starts to sing a song from his HSM days. ;) Or if it's for the blooper reel or something.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    worse, actually

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That hobo looks surprisingly nonplussed at a guy luggging around a lightsaber! I smell some computer photo manipulation trickery....

18. ShabbaTheHutt

ShabbaTheHutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2013
    Not gonna happen but I LOVE this idea :)

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I don't see why it wouldn't happen.

20. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Maybe you should watch more movies then, because Ryan Gosling is anything but a bad actor. He was excellent in 'The Ides of March' (got him a very deserved Golden Globe nomination, plus some others as well) and absolutely terrific in Drive. Some of his roles have been similar in style, so it's hard to say what kind of range he has, but normally you cast actors for a specific role anyway. If you cast a Gosling for a role he isn't a fit for, then you should worry about your casting department.

markdeez33 and FinleySlade like this.
  21. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd also say that based on the Orson Welles film, Efron is a decent enough actor as well. And Gosling is one of the most sought after American actors of his generation around at the moment and I'm sure he could handle SW. Not sure how people would have coped with news of a pretty-boy soap star, a minor actor from American Graffitti and the actress from Shampoo being cast back in '76.

22. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Well, the simple answer is that it doesn't matter. Star Wars meant absolutely nothing back in '76. Now, its on the radar for almost every single actor in Hollywood. Totally different casting landscape.

If Burt Reynolds wanted to be Han Solo in 76. Burt Reynolds would have been Han Solo. Star Wars was a low budget children's space movie. Nobody cared about it. Especially a major star who would have to take a pay cut to star in it. That doesn't apply today...

The only reason Tom Selleck(one of the most popular stars of the day) didn't end up as Indiana Jones was purely based on scheduling conflicts. Harrison Ford was a backup.

23. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    True, I guess. SW is always going to provoke strong opinions one way or the other! I suppose if it was an actor I wasn't keen on I wouldn't be too happy, though I'd have to keep an open mind I suppose. I'm sure there will be plenty more announcements that raise as many eyebrows as they do generate fist-pumps!

24. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    I think people get a little too obsessed with the whole "unknowns" approach. The whole reason Lucas went with unknowns in the OT was mostly due to financial reasons. He could pay unknowns scale and shift the savings to other production departments. The whole aspect of "he wanted unknown actors to be completely associated with playing those specific characters" is a bunch of nonsense.

I would say 80 percent of the reason was shaped on budget. That doesn't apply with Disney....

FinleySlade likes this.
  25. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Latino Review. I just don't....am I taking crazy pills or did I wake up in an alternate universe or something?

Immortiss likes this.