main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation OFFICIAL Episode VII/Spin-Off Casting Rumors and Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Kez-Iban, Oct 31, 2012.

1. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    you do know that Deckard is a replicant too.....(well so mythology says)

2. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Well, not from the original Philip K Dick story. Not in the original cut of the Blade Runner film. It was one of dumb ideas from Ridley Scott that made it into his directors cut. I enjoy the directors cut of Blade Runner. I absolutely prefer the NO Harrison Ford voice over narration.

But that plot point was just stupid from a thematic standpoint. It completely undermines Batty's act of humanity at the end of the film. The whole point of that was that a replicant had more humanity than an actual human.

Echo Base and Darth_Pevra like this.
  3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I'm one of those who doesn't think of Deckard as a replicant.

fishtailsam likes this.
  4. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    this has been argued over for years, Deckard has repressed feelings just like replicants have manufactured emotions, anyway this is a SW forum i guess....

5. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Oh no, Deckard is a replicant in the director's cut. I am not arguing that. I just think its an unbelievably stupid addition from a director who wasn't looking at his film thematically. Scott has done some really dumb stuff in the past, so it isn't surprising.

6. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    shoots a damn good film tho! and always lights it beautifully...to be fair the film is so different from do androids dream of electric sheep its very hard to compare Deckard in both

7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    What I like is how Scott lets his fans chose between versions. I wish Lucas was more like him when it comes to that.

Sarge, Toonimator and fishtailsam like this.
  8. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    now that I agree with - I am one of those that loves the film noir esque narration (i love film noir) Its odd how the Bladerunner revision was seen as good by the critics and the Star Wars revision was bad (though a lot of critics hated Star Wars from 1977 onwards)

9. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    I completely disagree and she doesn't look 15 at all, have you even seen her recently? she looks more 17 or 18 now.

And she was far better than 'pretty good' in Let Me In, think of the complexities of that role and you'll understand why she was so good in it.

10. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    I have seen her recently, she doesn't look like someone in the 19-22 age range. Yes, she was pretty good in "Let me in". Not great, but good. I didn't think she was as good as Lina Leandersson in the Swedish version.

But, each their own.

I will say that Saroise Ronan is a much better actress than Chloe Mortez though.

11. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    Saoirse Ronan is a product of top class british acting schools, Chloe Moretz is self-taught at home and I find that the comparison is lacking given that Grace in Let Me In played a Vampire girl with a morality complex far more effectively than Ronan ever did in Byzantium, for example:

12. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Did you see Ronan in Hanna or Atonement? Also, Leandersson did a much better job than Mortez in the Swedish version imo...

But, I get it you like her. Thats perfectly fine....

13. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    I entirely disagree and it's Moretz not Mortez, she is not Latino.

The Swedish version is given a lot more credit just because it is part of that cult genre that is deemed naturally superior.

14. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Nonsense. First off, Moretz has way less dialogue than Leandersson does. Her role, in the american version, is to basically emote and then act as a special effect for the vampire stuff. Leandersson had to interface in much more layered way with the male lead. Not to mention, they completely omitted the whole "she's actually a boy" angle from the original. Far more complex acting from Leandersson imo.

I'm also not going to dwell on one movie from Moretz. I've seen her in other films and wasn't terribly impressed. I thought she was marginal in Hugo(mainly because she was miscast). Awful in Dark Shadows. She is funny in Kickass. But that was more of 12 year old girl swearing like a long shore man than any real acting ability.

Whereas, Ronan has been more consistently good with the types of films she has been in.

15. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    Well you will simply not find me agreeing at all, she is a natural acting talent and just 16 years of age, her role in Dark Shadows was amazing, when you dont watch what is known as the 'half-a-film' version, the extended cut scenes make a much more amazing case for Moretz, not her fault Tim Burton decided to turn it into the Johnny Depp show episode 36.

16. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    No direct-linking of footage with profanity

17. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Much prefer Moretz to Ronan if it boiled down to them, but they're both good actresses.

18. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Perfectly fine by me. I'm not trying to sway your opinion. I am merely explaining why I haven't been all that impressed with her acting. You can agree with it or not...

19. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    No direct linking of profanity

Tan-Wessel likes this.
  20. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Ridley Scott was the director, was of that opinion and wasn't in full control of the making of the movie. It doesn't have anything to do with the Director's Cut.

Well, while it's ambiguous, the director is of that opinion (and Ford has relented).

21. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Yeah, and it was a dumb idea. Scott thought it was a clever narrative point even though it didn't jive with Fancher's/People screenplay. Both guys, I believe, threw a hissy fit about it(rightfully so) when Scott made additions with the Unicorn/origami stuff. Apparently, execs agreed and recut the movie to its original theatrical release.

22. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Unfortunately, those execs also insisted on the voice over that plagues the original theatrical release.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    True, they made one good call. But, then completely screwed it up with a bad one.

24. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Then I take it you're glad that neither edition didn't include Gaff's follow-up: "You’ve done a man’s job sir, if you truly are a man." :p

25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I sure hope they don't cast Emma Watson.